Problems getting all the data like it was in version 6

onamac
onamac
Community Member

Hi. I am a long-time user of 1Password, and have just upgraded to version 7. I signed up on your site. Upon installing 7, both your site and my app were automatically populated by what looks to be a group of older now defunct login items. Your site reflected the same. So I imported my last backup which brought them into the app. Upon quitting the app then relaunching, I saw the current items were in the trash, so I dragged them into the Primary vault. I then made a new vault for the defunct items (so that I could later look through them). After a few rounds of this, both the app and your site are now showing current stuff. However there are several vaults: Primary, Personal (which for now purposely contains the same stuff as Primary because of this problem I was having where it was disappearing), and the temporary vault I made for the old stuff. Is that OK and are those kind of vaults what was intended by giving us the ability to create new vaults?

There are still stuff that ends up in the trash and I don't know why, or if these are good items that are being randomly thrown away out of my vault or if they are duplicates.

There is still a vault on my Mac showing in the list, and now it is no longer showing the current list, but instead just a smattering of items. I don't know why the rest disappeared or why.

When I read up on version 7, I thought I saw that you can still have a vault on your Mac. (I liked that idea just as a safety) but then I also see your instructions to delete the vault? Or if I leave it, will it automatically be updated if I change a password that is in my Primary vault? If so, do I copy all the stuff from my Primary over to the On my Mac-Primary?

I am normally a person who likes to buy the app and wants to keep things local as I'm not big on having sensitive info online as there is always a risk there. However I DO LIKE the fact that no one is privy to it and that if hacked there would not be a way to obtain it.

I had been using version 6 which was upgraded from 3, 4, and 5. I did find data folders on the Mac but because version 7 initially it populated with older stuff (don't know where it got that), I need to ask: Where exactly is the current data located on the hard drive?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.25
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6 Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @onamac! :) Thank you for your message!

Upon quitting the app then relaunching, I saw the current items were in the trash, so I dragged them into the Primary vault. I then made a new vault for the defunct items (so that I could later look through them). After a few rounds of this, both the app and your site are now showing current stuff. However there are several vaults: Primary, Personal (which for now purposely contains the same stuff as Primary because of this problem I was having where it was disappearing), and the temporary vault I made for the old stuff.

If you are using a 1Password membership, we generally recommend removing the Primary vault and only using your Personal vault (or additional vaults, but created on 1Password.com). Primary vaults are standalone local vaults that will not automatically sync with all your devices and can cause you some trouble signing in in certain cases. For instance if you leave the now-empty Primary (standalone) vault in the 1Password for Mac app, then the app will still unlock with that vault's Master Password, and you run the risk of accidentally storing new Login items, etc, in the OLD vault. It's much safer, cleaner and more streamlined to remove the now-unnecessary standalone (Primary) vault.

or if these are good items that are being randomly thrown away out of my vault or if they are duplicates.

Can you please elaborate this point a little bit?

When I read up on version 7, I thought I saw that you can still have a vault on your Mac. (I liked that idea just as a safety) but then I also see your instructions to delete the vault? Or if I leave it, will it automatically be updated if I change a password that is in my Primary vault? If so, do I copy all the stuff from my Primary over to the On my Mac-Primary?

You can absolutely keep it, however I am strongly advise you not to (for the reasons I explained above). If you have an item in multiple vaults, updating it inside one vault will not automatically update it in other vaults, so you would have to keep track of this manually. Also remember that, if you store your items on 1Password.com, you get stronger encryption than if you use a local vault. This is because we encrypt your data with the Secret Key too, which makes encryption much stronger than the one you would get Master Password alone (which is what happens with local vaults).

I am normally a person who likes to buy the app and wants to keep things local as I'm not big on having sensitive info online as there is always a risk there. However I DO LIKE the fact that no one is privy to it and that if hacked there would not be a way to obtain it.

Yes, when using 1Password.com accounts, data is encrypted on your device, and only ever leaves it in encrypted form. It's encrypted end-to-end. If someone somehow gets a hold of your 1Password data, you are safe because the data is encrypted and your Master Password is never shared with us.

Where exactly is the current data located on the hard drive?

On your computer, in the Library folder, you have a cached copy of your data in a local database. However, it is not recommended to edit this data directly, and it's much better to leave 1Password to sync and update local data by itself. There is generally no need to act on the contents of the local 1Password folder.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

Thank you! I have deleted my Primary folder under the tab "On my Mac" however before realizing that was the one to delete, I also deleted the Primary under my username that came with the app. Should I put this back? Do I need one called Primary if I also have Personal?

Looking further, there are things that were in my version 6 that are gone in version 7. I just opened version 6 and see there are 1174 items there. In version 7, there were 985. When I reopened version 7 after having been in version 6, it shows 1471 items in there now.

This is just a mess. Is there a way to just start over (without having to re-sign up on your site or get a new key) and import what was last current in my version 6? And since I've had version 7 for a day, will 6 still be intact and where would I import it from? Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@onamac

I have deleted my Primary folder under the tab "On my Mac" however before realizing that was the one to delete, I also deleted the Primary under my username that came with the app. Should I put this back? Do I need one called Primary if I also have Personal?

If everything is already inside your Personal vault, you do not need the Primary vault. So when everything is properly configured, not seeing the Primary vault at all will be the right thing.

Is there a way to just start over (without having to re-sign up on your site or get a new key) and import what was last current in my version 6?

Yes, you can do it if you wish. Were you previously syncing with iCloud or Dropbox?

And since I've had version 7 for a day, will 6 still be intact and where would I import it from? Thank you.

You won't even need version 6 to do this, you can do all of directly from version 7, so you don't have to install two apps. The first time you launched the app, you were asked where your existing data was stored. You can just choose the same option again, and migrate your data once again.

The process to start over again with an empty slate looks like this:

1. Make sure you know where your old Primary vault is stored (iCloud or Dropbox)
    2. Login to your account on 1Password.com and move all of the items in the Trash so you have an empty vault there too
    3. Start over with an empty app
    4. Start 1Password 7 the app again
    5. Choose where your data is stored (this will add your Primary vault back inside the 1Password app)
    6. Move your data to your Personal vault once again

Once you have done this, you should see all your items inside your Personal vault, and it should contain the same items that are in your old Primary vault.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't syncing at all with version 6. I did not use iOS so everything was stored locally on my computer.

When you said I don't need version 6: the problem with not using 6 is that the items in version 7 are not all the current ones that were in 6. There are login items that are missing, as I stated before; and also contains a mix of stuff that is very old with some that are current. So version 7 is NOT using all the proper data right now.

When I first launched the app (version 7), it did not ask me where my existing data was stored, and instead it automatically populated it — some items were old, and some were missing.

There are certain site logins that version 7 does not retrieve. It shows no match. But when I launch version 6, everything works correctly.

Where is the stuff actually from version 6 stored? I see a folder in Containers, and also one under Application Support.

Version 6 shows 1174 items.

Version 7 shows 826.

I'm not able to compare the data between the two, so now I am becoming uncertain if there are some items in one that are correct that also should be in the other, so I'm wondering if I should just import [what I exported from version 6] to v7 and sort it all out there?

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

Is there a way on your site to move all items to the trash or do I have to click edit for each one to do so?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@onamac You are right, perhaps this is going to be much faster in the app. Please open your 1Password 7 app, where you should see your Personal vault, and there you can select all items with Cmd+A, right-click on them and move them all to the Trash at the same time.

When I first launched the app (version 7), it did not ask me where my existing data was stored, and instead it automatically populated it — some items were old, and some were missing.

I suspect you might have multiple vaults on this computer, and 1Password chose the wrong one (by the looks of it, the one not even you knew existed). In your specific case, perhaps it makes more sense to do the migration from version 6, and then upgrade to version 7 once everything is migrated properly.

You can add your 1Password account to 1Password 6 too, move your items there from your Primary vault to your Personal vault, and then install 1Password 7. This way, you will upgrade only when the migration has been completed, and version 7 should have all of the data.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

Thank you. I'm sure it did pull in an old vault because I have been a 1P user for a very long time, over many different versions, and my computer likely still has them from being upgraded over the years with the OS.

My 1Password account is totally wrong, so I definitely don't want to bring that into 1Password 6.

When I launch the version 6 app, it DOES still contain the proper data. As I stated before, I never had my data on Dropbox or anywhere other than my computer. So that is where it must be, somewhere. That is the data I want to use.

SO:

In your above post, you state: "do the migration from version 6, and then upgrade to version 7 once everything is migrated properly.

You can add your 1Password account to 1Password 6 too, move your items there from your Primary vault to your Personal vault, and then install 1Password 7. This way, you will upgrade only when the migration has been completed, and version 7 should have all of the data".

^^ Give me the steps please for your above recommendation of how to do so properly. Because when I installed 7, it seemed that it had migrated from version 6 but obviously it was wrong.

NOTE: I want to do this right so that I don't inadvertently lose my stuff. Below are things I have noticed that I may need to know in order to proceed with what you tell me to do. I'm mentioning then in case you need to tell me now, instead of more back and forth in this thread:

1) Do I first need to delete my online account? I ask this because I don't know which source/direction will sync first, so if I do the app first, will online sync therefore bring in all the wrong stuff from the online account into version 6 or 7?

2) In order o migrate from version 6: if it prompts me for the location, then I ask you: where is version 6 data located? I do not see any folder actually called 1Password 6. However I do see a 1Password 4 folder in /Library/Application Support; and I also see another folder in/Library/Group Containers which might be v7??

3) I know restoring can be done from a backup (in the app's tab)—however I don't know if those [automatic] backups are by now containing all the mishmash data that is wrong since having gone to version 7, so I don't trust them unless I choose a backup from last week. But perhaps that is not what you are telling me to do.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@onamac

When I launch the version 6 app, it DOES still contain the proper data.

Perfect, we can then start from there then.

^^ Give me the steps please for your above recommendation of how to do so properly. Because when I installed 7, it seemed that it had migrated from version 6 but obviously it was wrong.

In 1Password 6:

1. Add your 1Password Membership account to the app, if you haven't done so already
    2. Switch to your Personal vault (the vault inside your 1Password account) and delete your items in that vault, so that your online account is empty again and ready for the new migration
    3. Move everything from the Primary vault to the Personal vault

Once you confirm that everything worked fine, you can install 1Password 7. Now, if you add your 1Password account to 1Password 7 once again, you should see all of the data that you migrated in step 3, and you can also go ahead and delete the old 1Password 6 app to complete the process.

To answer your other questions:

1) Do I first need to delete my online account?

No need to delete your online account. All you need to do is move the items that are currently there to the Trash (step 2 above)

2) In order o migrate from version 6: if it prompts me for the location, then I ask you: where is version 6 data located?

After doing the migration and installing 1Password 7, you shouldn't be prompted for your data location. Let's take care of this once the migration in 1Password 6 has been completed.

3) I know restoring can be done from a backup (in the app's tab)—however I don't know if those [automatic] backups are by now containing all the mishmash data that is wrong since having gone to version 7, so I don't trust them unless I choose a backup from last week. But perhaps that is not what you are telling me to do.

Yes, I don't think backups will be necessary at this point.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

OK, I did all of those things. Version 6 is running fine. I linked it to the online account, which I had emptied all the data as you said to do. I then installed version 7.

Only catch now is that there is nothing in version 7, and it does not prompt me. There is also nothing in the account online.

So doesn't seem that any migration [of the data] actually took place.

How do I do that, without losing everything in version 6 which right now is the only data I have.

After all this, I feel a little leery about online being the only place the data will be hosted instead of being available there and on the computer.

I had never had any past issues with 1P except for a few occasions early on where I did have to look up a password in another app when 1P had failed in storing or saving it. This recent experience, however, has made me a little nervous, especially if I later change my passwords to its own generated ones as I had been thinking of doing...which would totally make me reliant on 1P and not my memory.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@onamac - sorry for the confusion. ag_ana's steps were these:

1. Add your 1Password Membership account to the app, if you haven't done so already
    2. Switch to your Personal vault (the vault inside your 1Password account) and delete your items in that vault, so that your online account is empty again and ready for the new migration
    3. Move everything from the Primary vault to the Personal vault

What you said you did was this:

I linked it to the online account, which I had emptied all the data as you said to do. I then installed version 7.

Only catch now is that there is nothing in version 7, and it does not prompt me.

Unless I'm misreading you, it seems like you may have forgotten ag_ana's Step 3. If you still have 1Password 6 for Mac installed, with both your Primary (standalone) vault and your 1password.com account with it's Personal vault added, then -- assuming you've emptied out your Personal vault as ag_ana suggested, please make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), launch 1Password 6 for Mac, and complete ag_ana's Step 3: move all of your items from Primary into Personal. Then Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and open 1Password 7 for Mac. Do you see your data? If so, you can (and should) delete 1Password 6 for Mac -- don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

I did do step 3, assuming she was referring to doing this in version 6 as her title above the 3 steps indicated: "In Password 6:". I did notice that the 3 steps varied back and forth between doing things in the online and version 6 app. The post you quoted of mine was simply reminding her what I did in addition to doing her 3 steps.

So, here's how I did the 3 steps.

1) In version 6, I added my 1P membership account.

2) In my online account, I switched to the Personal vault and deleted everything one by one (I couldn't delete them all at once. There were 2000+ items there by now because it was all wrong and not at all in sync with version 6.)

3) Here I am assuming #3 is back to instructions for version 6, because now there is nothing in the online account to move, because I deleted them all in step 2

So In version 6 app, I moved everything from the Primary vault to the personal vault. Primary is now empty and everything is correctly in the Personal vault. NOTE: IF she meant to move everthing from the Primary to Personal in the online account, I could never do that because there is nothing in there at all, anywhere, in the online account. It is empty everywhere.

Currently, version 6 is the only thing that has any content at all. As she said, I cleared out the online account so that it is "empty and ready for the new migration". But no migration has taken place, and I was not prompted when installing version 7. If I open version 7, it is empty.

Now for your instructions above (I have bolded reply comments referring to my situation):

You say: "If you still have 1Password 6 for Mac installed, with both your Primary (standalone) vault (Primary is empty because she said to move its data to Personal) and your 1password.com account with it's Personal vault added (This is the first problem. Data did not get added to this personal vault online, it is empty. There is only data in the Personal vault in v6 app, and I do not see anywhere online account that has a command to sync with app), then -- assuming you've emptied out your Personal vault as ag_ana suggested (Are you saying now to empty the personal vault in version 6? If I do this, and it doesn't work this means I will lose EVERYTHING because this is currently the ONLY place that has any of my data anymore)

I am not trying to fault any instructions here, I am just trying to get to the bottom of why something not working here (I have been a professional user of a Mac since 1989 so this kind of thing is not new to me). There is just something that is missing here or else the app is just not syncing to the online account. Perhaps because version 7 had been installed (before deleting it and later re-installing it as per her instructions). Maybe the contents in Containers are interfering / picking up the old prefs and doesn't think it need to sync?

Thank you, and sorry this is so much trouble!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@onamac I think looking at a diagnostic report from your Mac will help at this point, so we can also avoid sharing account information on the forum. Can you please send us one at support+forum@agilebits.com so we can take a closer look?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

Thank you so much! I have sent the email. I'm so sorry for all this trouble. I didn't expect what I initially thought to be a simple issue would have become so extended, which is why I first asked on the forum. I am happy to transfer this to support. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@onamac - to be clear, you're talking to "support" - just in a public venue, not a private one. When it gets into personally-identifying details, we like to handle these issues in private, for your privacy and security. As ag_ana mentioned, you'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant, which serves as notice that we got your email. It will contain a Support ID number. Please post that number here, so we can "connect the dots" and make sure your issue is dealt with as quickly/efficiently as possible. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.