Will Touch ID be available on 1Password X in the future?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a relevant discussion about it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@codylundquist: Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you now, only "maybe". It isn't currently possible, but it's definitely something we'd like too. The challenge is that Chrome (and Firefox) extension APIs don't allow us access to OS-level stuff like that, so we'd have to find another way...

• codylundquist
    codylundquist
    Community Member

Fair enough. I'm a software engineer myself so I totally understand. Thanks for your time!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for letting us know you'd like this too. :chuffed:

• heavymark
    heavymark
    Community Member

@brenty "The challenge is that Chrome (and Firefox) extension APIs don't allow us access to OS-level stuff like tha"

Does Safari app extension apis allow you to do it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: Wow. That's a real head-scratcher. The thing is, a Safari app extension is part of a Mac app, sort of like an iOS extension is part of an iOS app. So...I guess the answer to your questions is "yes", but you can't really have one without the other. I'm not sure how useful 1Password X would be if it was part of 1Password for Mac. No one on Linux, Chrome OS, or Windows could use it...

• heavymark
    heavymark
    Community Member

"I'm not sure how useful 1Password X would be if it was part of 1Password for Mac. No one on Linux, Chrome OS, or Windows could use it..."
    With TouchID only available on MacOS I presume it wouldn't be an issue if that feature wasn't on Windows/Linux/Chrome OS, and if they have their own finger touch software then their versions would include the necessary api's for their system?

That is can't it continue to function at it does not for other browsers, and you would build a version tailored for Mac like you have 1P7 for Mac? I maybe missing something in your explanation, in which case I"m sure you guys are working to solve it in a way that works for everyone. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: Sorry for the confusion. 1Password X is designed first and foremost for 1Password users who cannot install an app. It works in other cases, but it's not our primary focus since, as they say, "there's an app for that" already — 1Password for Mac already has built in support for Touch ID, and its own browser extensions as well. That will allow you to use Touch ID with 1Password on your Mac today. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• heavymark
    heavymark
    Community Member

Ah. I didn't realize it was meant more as an option for people who can't install the app, such as I assume in some corporate environments. I had thought I remembered reading the initial announcement where it was more marketed as the future of 1Password and included new features not possible in 1P software version.

I tried it out and loved that you can click on the password fields and it shows the options in the dropdown just like Safari does rather than having to use keyboard shortcuts and such. But discovered there was limitations in regards to 2 factor autofill and address/ccredit card autofill compared to the normal app so switched back.

But glad to here the desktop app is still the future and primary app, and that X is more focused as an additional option for more special use cases for people who can't install apps. Thanks boss!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: Absolutely! We love the native apps, but we're also glad that 1Password X can be used by even more people. And it works great alongside the apps too. That just isn't our primary focus for it. You can get a good overview here:

Get to know 1Password X

But I'd encourage you to check out the beta, as we're doing some cool new stuff with TOTP filling there too. Cheers! :)

• hansenc
    hansenc
    Community Member

I've been using both the native app (Windows and MacOS) and the iPassword X extension. I thought when X came out there was talk about opening up a communication channel between the extension and the native app so they could talk and share the ability to lock/unlock. Sounds like now @brenty that the idea of somehow linking the two is falling down the idea list.

For someone that CAN install the native app, should we just abandon iPassword X extension for the best user experience?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've been using both the native app (Windows and MacOS) and the iPassword X extension. I thought when X came out there was talk about opening up a communication channel between the extension and the native app so they could talk and share the ability to lock/unlock. Sounds like now @brenty that the idea of somehow linking the two is falling down the idea list.

@hansenc: I don't see where I've said anything like that. ;) It's definitely an idea, but simply isn't possible currently. If we can get that to work in the future though that would be cool. But our priority for 1Password X is and always has been for environments where the native 1Password app is not available.

For someone that CAN install the native app, should we just abandon iPassword X extension for the best user experience?

It's up to to you. They each have different strengths. If you prefer the 1Password desktop extension and are able to use that, I'd encourage you to do so. There are many possibilities there since functionality can be added by the native app. But we'll keep improving 1Password X with each release, and if that becomes more appealing to you in the future you can easily use that instead. Or you can use both. :)

• hansenc
    hansenc
    Community Member

@brenty here is the comment I was referencing in my post.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/424394/#Comment_424394

"As for your question, we have plans to securely share our lock state between 1Password X and a native 1Password app for folks that have one installed. We just aren't there quite yet."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hansenc: Yep. And as I mentioned,

It's definitely an idea, but simply isn't possible currently. If we can get that to work in the future though that would be cool.

Cheers! :)

• hansenc
    hansenc
    Community Member

thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the encouragement! I'd rather like that feature myself. :chuffed:

• MarcelMalik
    MarcelMalik
    Community Member

Chrome 70 implement macOS's TouchID and Android's fingerprint sensor via Web Authentication (https://blog.chromium.org/2018/09/chrome-70-beta-shape-detection-web.html). It is now possible to use touch id for 1password X in the future?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MarcelMalik: I don't think so. It doesn't appear that this is at all related to Chrome's extension API, but for websites. It isn't currently possible for 1Password X to use an OS-level feature like that, but we're looking into ways to enable that kind of functionality as we'd very much like to have it ourselves. :)

• Good news, @MarcelMalik, @hansenc, @heavymark, @codylundquist!!! 1Password X now has Desktop App Integration on Mac! 🎉

Check out our recent beta announcement for details on how to set things up so you can use Touch ID on your Mac. Support for Windows and Windows Hello will be coming in a future release.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. 😘

++dave;

• hansenc
    hansenc
    Community Member

wow, this is awesome. looking forward to testing it out!

• codylundquist
    codylundquist
    Community Member

Thanks a ton, @dteare! Keep up the great work :D.

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

Very cool update.

Has there been any consideration to supporting U2F or FIDO2 keys for authenticating with 1Password X? Those might be viable facilities alternative to TouchID for some, and more widely supported.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we'll continue to evaluate. Thanks for letting us know it's something you'd like us to add support for in the future.

• danielfrey
    danielfrey
    Community Member

It lookes like Google is adding fingerprint support to Chrome: https://www.slashgear.com/chrome-is-adding-touch-id-and-fingerprint-sensor-support-for-web-apps-14545704/

So what are the plans now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't discuss future plans, but I'm sure if and when we have something to share we'll be excited to. In the mean time, the 1Password for Mac + 1Password X beta Dave mentioned earlier is coming right along. :)

• bun4uk
    bun4uk
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

You could check your competitors - RememBear. They realized TouchID authorization in their Chrome extension.
    Check out the screenshot below.
    [removed by 1Password staff -- guidelines]

• dteare
    edited May 2019

We’ve had TouchID on the Mac since launch day. In fact, 1Password was included in the screenshots while Craig Federighi was on stage introducing it.

What we’re talking about here is bringing TouchID (a Mac feature) to 1Password X (which runs everywhere). 1Password for Mac already has it. 🙂

We have been working on allowing 1Password X to integrate with 1Password for Mac so we can bring TouchID to 1Password X. That’s available in beta today.

++dave;

• bun4uk
    bun4uk
    Community Member

@dteare
    Thanks!
    Nice to hear that. :)
    But I have beta 1passwordX v1.16.1 and don't see TouchID auth there.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bun4uk – glad to hear you're wanting to give Desktop App Integration a try! Just to be sure – do you have the 1Password for Mac beta installed as well? That'll be required while it's still in the beta phases. You can learn more about the requirements here.

If you do have the 1Password for Mac beta installed and you're still not having any luck, please do let us know so we can troubleshoot further!

• bun4uk
    bun4uk
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Thank you! :chuffed:
    I've set up 1p beta and all stuff works well with touch ID.
    Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.