Sync solutions since Dropbox free account is evolving

GeraldGuyot
GeraldGuyot
Community Member

Does 1password teams have planned a backup solutions available on all platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android) to swtich from Dropbox ?

In fact Dropbox is now limiting the number of devices connected. As I'm only using Dropbox for 1password (I'm using OneDrive for all my stuff), I don't want to pay a monthly subscription to sync my vaults. For now there is no issue as all my devices are linked, but if I'm changing my phone I'll have an issue.

Thanks & Regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GeraldGuyot! Welcome to the forum!

Does 1password teams have planned a backup solutions available on all platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android) to swtich from Dropbox ?

Yes, we have our own 1Password.com sync method without any sort of limitations already :)

We built 1Password.com exactly to avoid having to rely on a third-party service to sync your data. Our own sync service does not have any limitations whatsoever, and is therefore the best method available to sync your data. 1Password.com does not limit us and our 1Password Membership customers when it comes to how many devices they are using and is therefore already our recommended option.

I hope you understand that we are not able to control changes third party providers decide to implement, and therefore prefer (and owe it to our customers) to controls things directly to offer the best possible service without relying on anyone else.

Not to mention, sync is not the only benefit of a 1Password Membership: everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on... The list goes on and on.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• GeraldGuyot
    GeraldGuyot
    Community Member

I totally understand that you're not accountable of cloud providers policy enhancements. But on the other side, the solution to avoid buying a monthly subscription to Dropbox is to buy a monthly subscription to 1Password.

I bought 1password through permanent licence (Windows, Mac and iOS) in order to avoid another subscription.

I'll look for another solution.

Thanks for the quick response and your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GeraldGuyot, you are very welcome! Remember that you always have the option to use just 3 devices if you don't want to pay for a subscription to either Dropbox or 1Password. You can also decide not to sync your data at all, if you want to continue using 1Password despite the limitations imposed by Dropbox.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to me anytime, I will be happy to help you.

Have a wonderful day!

• GeraldGuyot
    GeraldGuyot
    Community Member

@ag_ana May you provide me more details about the 3 free devices ? I certainly missed this point as I don't remember seen something about it. It won't satisfy my need (4 devices), but perhaps I can try tp limit to 3.

Thanks & Regards

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GeraldGuyot, Dropbox now limits free users to 3 devices, as you correctly mentioned in your original post:

In fact Dropbox is now limiting the number of devices connected.

I hope this helps!

• GeraldGuyot
    GeraldGuyot
    Community Member

@ag_ana, I thought you were saying that there is a solution for 3 devices into the 1password subscription ;)

Thanks for your time

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

@GeraldGuyot

1Password membership (which does not use Dropbox or other 3rd party sync solution) does not have a device limit. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

About 1Password membership

:)

Ben

• turtle2472
    turtle2472
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I too am looking for a solution to the new limit for Dropbox. I was all good until I had to upgrade my main computer. My question has nothing to do with Dropbox but rather options built into 1Password. I have permanent licenses for Mac, Win, iOS to avoid yet another subscription. I sync three vaults. Work (Mac and PC), an Archive that is where I put ones I don't want to delete and can be just standalone. The third is my main one that I share with my wife and put on my kid's devices though they don't get the password.

I looked at WLAN sync but it looks like it only syncs from my desktop to iOS devices. Would I be able to sync Mac/PC to it as well? While I couldn't sync on the go at least I could sync when I get back on the LAN (or perhaps VPN back home)?

I have a large family so there are a number of iOS devices floating around here. So iCloud seems like an option until we look at the fact that vault is going to be on my devices only since iCloud doesn't share across accounts (Mine, my wife, my kids, etc...).

Is there any way to sync without Dropbox or a subscription to 1Password? In other words, please don't just tell me to buy a family plan and be done with it, unless you plan to comp me the fees because then I would consider it.

My goals: Sync one vault across a large number of devices (Mac, PC, iOS, and occasionally Linux via read-only browser) shared with my wife. Sync another vault with my work computer so I don't have to move back to KeePass on it.

I thought to open a new thread but this seems so relevant.

• Hi @turtle2472

I looked at WLAN sync but it looks like it only syncs from my desktop to iOS devices.

Correct; WLAN sync can sync one computer with one or more mobile devices.

Would I be able to sync Mac/PC to it as well?

Modern versions of 1Password for Windows do not have WLAN sync, and it never supported computer <-> computer syncing anyway.

I have a large family so there are a number of iOS devices floating around here. So iCloud seems like an option until we look at the fact that vault is going to be on my devices only since iCloud doesn't share across accounts (Mine, my wife, my kids, etc...).

iCloud doesn't share across accounts and it doesn't work on Windows or Android devices. So it is probably not going to be a great solution for you here.

Is there any way to sync without Dropbox or a subscription to 1Password?

Not across Macs, Windows PCs, and mobile devices.

I have permanent licenses for Mac, Win, iOS to avoid yet another subscription.

I understand. We'd be willing to work with you on that point, but I really think a 1Password Families membership is going to the best solution going forward. The only realistic alternative I see if upgrading to a paid Dropbox account, but if you're going to do that I think you might as well get a tailor made solution (1Password membership). :) I'd suggest reaching out to our sales team (sales@1password.com) with copies of your receipts for any 1Password purchases and see what they can do for you. Please also include a link to this thread with your message: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/506115/#Comment_506115

My goals: Sync one vault across a large number of devices (Mac, PC, iOS, and occasionally Linux via read-only browser) shared with my wife.

Two other fringe benefits of moving to 1Password Families is additional Linux support and proper sharing abilities (something we don't really have in standalone). For Linux: the1Password X browser extension, the CLI, and the 1Password.com web interface. You can read more about that here. For sharing... you can learn about sharing in 1Password Families here.

I hope that helps. :+1:

Ben

• turtle2472
    turtle2472
    Community Member

Thank Ben. That was VERY helpful. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it is what I expected. I have emailed sales as you suggested.

• You're very welcome @turtle2472. Thanks for your willingness to hear me out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.