System
edited May 2019 in Mac
This discussion was split off.

Comments

• danlfly1
    danlfly1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still using 1Password6 0n my Mac. Is it Important or costly to move up to v.7? I still don't understand the benefits. You made reference to Watchtower but I don't know what that is. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danlfly1 - Watchtower is a suite of defenses you can use to make sure your passwords are strong, unbreached (in a password hack of a public website), and check to make sure you're using 2FA where available.

Version 7 is the current version of 1Password for Mac and has been for nearly a year now. 1Password 6 for Mac was great in its day, but after the release of version 7, version 6 entered legacy mode, which means it's received no further development attention or stability/usability/compatibility fixes, and it's unlikely to in the future unless a critical security vulnerability is discovered. As such, like all legacy versions, 1Password 6 for Mac will slowly start to be less compatible with future updates to browsers and to macOS itself. As a security company, we recommend users keep all of their critical software as up-to-date as possible, and that includes browsers and their OS versions and patches, as well as 1Password itself. In terms of benefits? The 1Password 7 for Mac page here is a good place to start to see what's new/improved, but we're here to answer any questions you might have as well, so don't be shy.

In terms of cost? The best way forward, by far, is going to be a 1password.com membership, for multiple reasons. An individual membership costs $35.88/yr, while a 1Password Families membership which is great if you have multiple people in the household who want to use 1Password, is only $59.88 for up to five people -- and that includes all future updates for as long as you maintain the membership. A standalone license, which is the other way to authorize (pay for) 1Password 7 for Mac if you're not a 1password.com member, is $64.99, though currently they're on sale for $49.99. This would be a license for ONLY version 7, meaning when version 8 comes out it would require another purchase as well, and other platforms (Windows, Android, iOS) each require their own licenses. Hope that's helpful! :)

• danlfly1
    danlfly1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for that comprehensive answer. One more question, if you please. I have several Mac computers, iPads and an iPhone that I run on and sync through dropbox. Since these devices came on at different times, I believe I have more than one license. Can I get just one individual license to cover everything? Its a total of 3 Macs, 2 iPads and one phone. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danlfly1 - 1Password for iOS (which would cover all your iPhones, iPads and even iPod Touches, if you have any) doesn't even require a traditional license. The basic features of 1Password for iOS are free to use, but there is a $9.99 in-app purchase which unlocks the Pro features, if you want those. On the Mac side, a single license of 1Password 7 for Mac can be used on as many Macs as you own/use. Anyone else in your orbit - family members, coworkers, etc - who want to use 1Password would need their own license.

Having said that, I don't know if you're aware of it, but Dropbox has recently limited to 3 the number of devices free users can connect. If you're paying for your Dropbox, this won't apply to you, but if you're using the free plan like most users are, you won't be able to connect all the devices you mentioned; you'd have to choose three.

A 1password.com account has no such restrictions; not only would you get unlimited device capability, but because every 1password.com account allows you all four of our applications (Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android), you could even switch devices as many times as you like/need without paying anything extra.

This discussion has been closed.