Feedback on intelligent suggestions for filling

This discussion was created from comments split from: New 1Password Mini Feedback.

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

First let me say the new Suggestions feature in the latest beta is awesome! I wasn't expecting you guys to make it dynamic and only display those items that are appropriate for the page one is on. This is a really cool idea and should address the concerns of those who didn't want to see Identity or Credit Card info in the mini all the time. But I'm not sure what the expected behavior is so far. Login pages only show those items. Sign-up pages show Identity items. Payment pages are showing Identity and Credit Card info. All this is great. The question is what is it supposed to do on pages when NONE of this is appropriate? For instance ...

https://www.usatoday.com
    https://www.cnn.com

I have no account with either so I get no Login suggestions. But I do get Identity and Credit Card suggestions when that doesn't seem appropriate because there are no fillable fields available.

Even in this particular forum ...

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/102278/new-1password-mini-feedback/p2

Naturally I have a Login so I would expect to see that. But why are Identity and Credit Card suggestions showing up?

But then I go to this homepage of a website for which I have no account ....

https://www.saucemagazine.com

And only an Identity suggestion showed up because there's a "sign up" field requesting an email address at the bottom. This is what I was expecting the behavior to be based upon the release notes. But the behavior of the other websites I mentioned above was different.

So the million dollar question for me is ... what should the mini do when no suggestions are appropriate for the webpage in question? Show all Identity and Credit Card info? Or show none?

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

Agree this is an improvement now (and better than my suggestions above). If this means the long-term trajectory is that I no longer include my credit cards and identities as Favorites at all, that's also fine (although we'd need something like that on the iOS side of course!)

It'd be nice if the suggestions took into account the currently focused field - if it's part of the credit card info then put the credit cards first; if it's part of an address field then put the identities first. As is I still have to select one or the other from the list.

• @nriley Can you send us a link to the page where this is occurring? We do take the selected field into account and should only be suggesting those item types. If I can take a look at the actual page I can let you know what's going on.

• Hi @OAW,

Thanks for the feedback and the great question.

We analyze the page to try and identify the purpose of the fields on the page. Sometimes we get a page back with no fillable fields (such as this very page). In those cases we have chosen to show Logins (matching the URL of the page), Identities, and Credit Cards. The thinking is that the user is either looking for one of those items or they were expecting to get no suggestions and indented to navigate somewhere else in mini anyway.

Glad you're enjoying the intelligent suggestions. Keep us posted as you play with it!

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

@MrRooni Sure, the last one I happened to try was the following:

https://crm.bloomerang.co/HostedDonation?ApiKey=pub_b55fc2be-adb8-11e6-9d49-0a1b37ae639f&WidgetId=69632

Filling my name/phone number works. The address and zip code don't fill but the city and state do. And once the payment popup (looks like Spreedly) appears it's still suggesting identity info rather than credit card info by default.

• @nriley,

Thanks, we'll take a look at that page and see what we can do to improve that.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@MrRooni and @rudy The webpage that @nriley provided isn't doing suggestions based upon the selected field for me. No matter what field I have selected it always suggests Identity and Credit Card. Even though the latter isn't visible on the page. Also, I experienced the same thing with Address and Zip Code not filling ... but I suspect it's because those are multi-line instead of single-line fields.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

@ag_andrew I suppose I get the intent and on some level it might be helpful. But it seems rather counter-intuitive to have a design that's intended to "suggest only what you can fill ... unless you can't fill anything so then suggest everything even though you can auto-fill any of it.".

Perhaps it would be more intuitive to have a design that's intended to "suggest only what you can fill ... unless you can't fill anything so then display the Favorites view instead". That way the Suggestions view only appears by default when there's something it can auto-fill, and your Favorites view appears by default otherwise.

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member

The changes in beta 14 are a fantastic improvement, and much appreciated. Night and day.

For those of us with a lot of identities/credit cards, it would be nice if we had the option of having "Favorited" items were grouped together at the top, below site-specific logins.

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member

I agree, the smart suggestions are a great solution and an example of "solve the actual problem" rather than giving users exactly what they're asking for. Awesome job everyone. :)

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Actually it is how it should be already, but anyway, it's pretty good now.

• @nriley @OAW I took a look at that site and the reason you're seeing both identity and credit card suggestions is because there are both identity and credit card fields on the site, it's just that the credit card fields are not visible (unfortunately
    our extension cannot currently detect the visibility of fields, we see all fields in the page even if they are not being rendered).

Filling of the identity information is a separate but important problem that we will continue to work on.

@OAW The decision to continue to show potentially fillable items even when we can't identify a particular field type on a page is one we made to cover the cases where: 1) perhaps a webpage hasn't identified it's fields correctly (or we've mis-classified the field in some way) and you'd still need (for example) your credit card. 2) There is some ancillary data in your login you need that isn't a username or password (e.g. Security Questions/Answers).

Our goal is that when you invoke mini from a webpage, we want to offer you the items with the highest chance of relevance. Obviously if we find this goal is not being met, we may re-evaluate our approach.

@johnclay Grouping the identity and credit card favorites is a cool idea. I'll bring it up with the team.

@jfelchner Thanks very much, we are so grateful to you and all our beta testers for helping us get to where we are with 1Password for Mac 7.3.

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

@ag_andrew Thanks, that is a partial explanation for what's going on. It is quite common for order forms to have both address and credit card fields in them (both visible!). In the page I linked, it is still the case that when my insertion point is in the credit card number field, 1Password puts the identities first and the credit cards second in the list, regardless. Some part of 1P seems to understand that this is a credit card field because it fills my credit card number in it. If it were taking into account the selected field it should be showing credit cards before identities…

• @nriley We aren't quite at the point yet where we can arrange the suggestions based on the currently selected field, but its certainly something we want to investigate.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

NVM

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• nriley
    nriley
    Community Member

Thanks, I misunderstood and thought that was intended to work!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly a cool idea. Hopefully we can do just that as we continue to iterate on the new Intelligent Filling feature. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.