Password autofill when no logins are available

jadchaar
jadchaar
Community Member

I have encountered a number of situations recently where my 1Password autofill does not find any relevant entries for the current app or website I am using and I would like the ability to view and search all my entries without having to go to the 1Password app manually.

Personally, when I am logging in and selecting a password, I don't really see the point of having the "Create Login" button in the autofill menu under "No Logins Found".

Is this a limitation of iOS and the autofill API?

1Password Version: 7.3.1 BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jadchaar: Indeed, but perhaps that will change in the future. For now, there's no way for 1Password to know why you're invoking it from Autofill, only that you are, so it gives you the option to fill any Logins matching the current site, or save a new one.

If it helps, the way iOS 12 Password Autofill works is,

1. You enable Autofill for 1Password
    2. 1Password "vends" Login items to the OS as URL/username/password combinations
    3. App developers can have associated domains as part of their apps, and websites have URLs
    4. You invoke Autofill in the context of an app/website
    5. Autofill compares the relevant URL to what it has saved from "vendors" like 1Password and offers a list of those to fill from
    • When an app has no associated domain, you're only given an option to search

At that point you also have the option to open 1Password itself, which brings us back to the top. This is useful because Autofill will only show so many, and it has no facility for saving new data in 1Password, so we handle that in our own UI.

Hopefully that helps shed some light on things, but certainly if you're encountering a case where you should be offered some login credentials to fill we'd need to look into it. :)

• jadchaar
    jadchaar
    Community Member

"When an app has no associated domain, you're only given an option to search". I don't seem to see this option, am I missing something? I just see a Cancel button and the ability to create a new item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jadchaar: Again, that's all handled by the OS for Autofill, so what we're talking about now isn't something that 1Password is involved in, and I may be explaining it poorly as a result. But if you can give me a concrete example I could try to use that to clarify. :)

• @jadchaar If you're seeing just create and cancel buttons, then the app or webpage from which you invoked 1Password AutoFill does have an associated domain, but that domain does not match any of your items. If you have an Login you'd like to associate with that URL, simply add the URL as website field to that Login item.

If we had the ability to Open-and-fill from inside Password AutoFill (even when we are given an associated URL) then we could offer search, but since all we can do is fill into "the current" webpage or app, we cannot offer search and maintain our best-effort approach to phishing protection.

This discussion has been closed.