Setup new device

This discussion was created from comments split from: Use license to install 1Password on new iMac, OS Mojave, 10.14.4.

Comments

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

Ney Brenty, I am having the same problem. Had to wipe the hard drive. Running on Mojave 10.14.4. When I reinstalled 1 password 6, I couldn't figure out how to enter the license number. I tried to start the trial, thinking there would be somewhere to enter but can figure it out. I also need to figure out how to migrate my backup files into 1password 6. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Welcome to the forum, @TMAD! Sorry for the trouble, but I'm not sure I understand the current situation/difficulty. You had to reformat your Mac's hard drive and reinstall macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and 1Password 6 for Mac, I got that. Where did you download/install 1Password 6 for Mac from? Was it the version from our downloads page, or did you go to your purchase history in the Mac App Store and (re)install from there? If it's the latter, then like all purchases made in the Mac App Store, it will have been tied to your Apple ID, so no external license key required. If it was our own version, then your original license file would work just the way it did previously: install by double-clicking the license file.

If you've successfully re-installed 1Password 6 for Mac and you just need to restore from backup, that's a pretty straightforward process. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

ref: KEZ-27775-239

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

My backup is on my telephone. There was nothing stored in the cloud. But my phone doesn't want to sync with my computer.

Please advise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TMAD: It would be unwise and infeasible for us to advise you without any relevant details. What version of 1Password are you using on your phone, what steps are you taking in trying to sync, and what is (or is not) happening as you expect?

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

With my old account, I would just open the app on the computer, then open the app on my phone. I go to settings on my phone and hit sync.

I do not know what version I have on my phone (how would I find that?).

I think part of the problem is because it is trying to start a new account on my computer, which is not wanting to link with the old account on my phone. Also, anytime you wipe your computer, nothing that was previously synced seems to recognize your computer. I would really appreciate it if I could speak with someone on the phone and get this taken care of in a more reasonable time frame. I have been living off the app on my phone for a week now and it's getting really inconvenient.

Thanks,
    Traci

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TMAD: We do not have a call center because, frankly, talking on the phone won't help us exchange version information, send screenshots or diagnostics, or allow you to go over instructions at your own pace and get back to us when you are ready. These aren't things we can "take care of" for you remotely, both as a practical, technical matter, and because of the sensitive nature of the data stored in 1Password.

This will show you how to find version information:

Find your version

But I do still need to know what sync method you are trying to use.

Do you have a 1Password membership subscription?

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

My computer is version 6.8.9 & I am on Mojave 10/14/4.

For syncing, I used to open both my computer & my phone, login to 1Password and in 1 password, under settings on my phone, there was a button that said Sync. When I clicked it, it would sync with my computer.

For membership, do you mean a license number? If so yes, but I am guessing you don't want me to post it online.

• Hi @TMAD

For membership, do you mean a license number? If so yes, but I am guessing you don't want me to post it online.

1Password membership is a subscription service, distinct from licenses/licensing. If you can sign in at https://my.1password.com then you've signed up for a membership. If you can't, then you may not have. The membership service provides you with access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (meaning you could upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac) and it also handles the syncing of your 1Password data between your devices.

You can read more about the benefits membership provides here: About 1Password membership

If you've signed up for a membership but haven't completed the process of migrating your data

1. Download 1Password 7 for Mac: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/
    2. Double check that you are able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ in a web browser, and, ideally, print an Emergency Kit: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    3. Make sure all of your data is in the vault called "Private"
    4. If any data is in the vault called "Primary" but not in the vault called "Private" move it from the former to the latter: Move and copy items
    5. Delete the vault called "Primary" from each device: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

If you've signed up for a membership but that was not your intention

and you do not wish to continue with a membership (going back to licensing instead) please see this guide: How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Please note that licenses are sold on a per-person, per-platform, per-version basis. So a 1Password 7 for Mac license allows one person to use 1Password 7 on any compatible Macs. It doesn't allow anyone else to use 1Password, or for the licensed person to use 1Password on any other types of devices, or any other versions of 1Password (e.g. in theory 1Password 8 for Mac, when released, would require a separate license). Also with licensing you're responsible for setting up and maintaining the sync of your data via a 3rd party service (Dropbox or iCloud). For that and the other reasons outlined above we feel membership offers the smoothest and mosts robust experience, but we do still offer licenses for those who are comfortable with the "DIY" approach.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

I do not have a subscription. I have a license number from a family plan we purchased years ago. I do not keep my data on the cloud, nor do I wish to.

I simply want to know how to get my phone and my computer to sync to each other so I can get my passwords from my phone to my computer.

When I had to reset my computer, apparently my one password wasn’t being backed up . So I also need to find out where my passwords are stored, so I can make sure my backup is catching them in the future.

• I do not have a subscription.

I would suggest double checking that. :) From your description it sounds like you did in fact start a membership trial (that's the only kind of trial that we offer). If that is the case you'll want to follow my instruction under the second heading above.

You can read about the options for syncing here:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

You used to have a version where it stored the data on your computer & you could sync with your phone (no cloud necessary). Here is what the screen on my phone looks like to sync:

• @TMAD

Okay. Did you follow my instructions above? You won't have any sync options in 1Password for Mac while signed into a membership. If you don't have sync options, that is what is causing it, and instructions for signing out of the membership are in my post above. :)

Ben

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

I believe I had a folder on my Mac. When I downloaded it onto my Mac, I think it may have forced me to open an account. Not sure how to get off that one or to sync with my current one.

• I believe I had a folder on my Mac. When I downloaded it onto my Mac, I think it may have forced me to open an account. Not sure how to get off that one or to sync with my current one.

Please read the portion of my above post (here) with the heading "If you've signed up for a membership but that was not your intention." That'll guide you through signing out of any accounts. Once complete you can learn about syncing your data here:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

So I have removed my account, told it to only save to my computer, & connected it to a folder that is back-up.

Now I need to figure out how to get my 1password on my phone to talk to my desktop version and download all my passwords.

• So I have removed my account, told it to only save to my computer, & connected it to a folder that is back-up.

Great! :)

Now I need to figure out how to get my 1password on my phone to talk to my desktop version and download all my passwords.

Instructions for that are in our sync guide.

Also, you may want to delete the membership account, to avoid any confusion in the future: How to delete your 1Password account

Ben

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

So I deleted my "account from my computer, and as a result I don't know my secret key that it wants to log me in. Is it possible for you to delete my account on your end?

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

Also, the above article does not talk about syncing devices unless you are on the cloud? Either that or I am reading it wrong.

It is telling me how to sync my desktop version in a folder on my computer. But not how to sync my phone with my desktop. (I am also a little concerned, because all my passwords are in my phone, I need to make sure they are going to sync into my computer and not disappear).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TMAD - please refer to the bottom of the page of the instructions Ben linked you to in his previous message ("How to delete your 1Password account").

For reference, here is a direct link to that relevant section of the page: https://support.1password.com/delete-account/#get-help

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

account deleted. Now just need to figure out how to get my passwords from my phone to my computer.

Thanks for all the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@TMAD

Also, the above article does not talk about syncing devices unless you are on the cloud?

It does:

Please click the text indicated in the above image for "WLAN Server." Note: do not attempt to click the above image, it is only a screen-shot. Please use the link given by Ben and click the corresponding "WLAN Server" link on THAT page.

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

Coo, because I had no idea what that was. So if I sync the 2, my passwords in my phone will move into the computer right? Just want to make sure I am not screwing myself and losing what I have.

I don't want to renewer everything manually, but if I have to I will.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TMAD - if you've set up 1Password for Mac with an empty standalone vault, and your phone has your 1Password data on it, then yes, that data will be "imported" (really, synced not imported, but the outcome is the same) from your phone to your Mac.

If you're worried about losing data, then before you sync, in 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Advanced > Create Backup. That way, should it be necessary (it won't be), you can restore to the current state of your data if something goes wrong.

• TMAD
    TMAD
    Community Member

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I'm good to go!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TMAD - you're quite welcome. Glad Ben and I were able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.