Can't read release notes before the updater finishes updating and quits

Options
lilyball
lilyball
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Every time I click on the Update notification, the updater shows me release notes, but then it always finishes the update and quits before I've finished reading them. So then I have to open the app, unlock it, and select Release Notes from the menu, which kicks me out to Safari, just to find out what's actually in this build.

I would really prefer it if the updater could keep the release notes visible until I dismiss it.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.BETA-14 (70300014)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lilyball: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty! For most people it's good news when updates are fast and easy, but I think most folks aren't super interested in the release notes like you and I are. ;)

So -- good news for us -- they're available any time on our update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com

And you can also uncheck "Automatically Install Updates" in Preferences > Updates if you'd rather wait and do that yourself once you're ready. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lilyball
    lilyball
    Community Member
    Options

Given how fast the update actually is, I'd suggest the alternative behavior:

If I click the "Update..." button in the notification, go ahead and auto-install the update and quit the updater as soon as it's done.

If I simply click the notification instead of the "Update..." button, launch the updater but don't start the install yet. That way I can read the release notes and decide if I even care to update at this time.

This would mirror how App Store update notifications work, where the "Update" button in the notification triggers the update but merely clicking the notification opens the App Store to the Updates tab.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Given how fast the update actually is,

@lilyball: For you. :tongue: Not everyone has the same internet speed. ;)

I'd suggest the alternative behavior: If I click the "Update..." button in the notification, go ahead and auto-install the update and quit the updater as soon as it's done. If I simply click the notification instead of the "Update..." button, launch the updater but don't start the install yet. That way I can read the release notes and decide if I even care to update at this time.

It's certainly something we can consider for future versions. For now, what I suggested will work, and is already available. Did you try that? :)

This would mirror how App Store update notifications work, where the "Update" button in the notification triggers the update but merely clicking the notification opens the App Store to the Updates tab.

I'm not sure that our intent is to "mirror" the App Store. And it's not really analogous at all because 1Password is a single app with a single update at a time. But thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)

This discussion has been closed.