Need Help - 1Password does not work on my new mac

Options
dfhkvs
dfhkvs
Community Member

Hi. I have 1Password6. I bought a standalone license in 2016. On my old mac (and on my current laptop), it works great. And, I have it synced on my phone.

Just rebuilt the office mac workstation. MacOS Mojave. (which is what it had before). Now, can NOT get 1Password to work. Here is what I did:

• Got 1Password 6 download. Installed it. It asked me for a license file. I tracked down the license file from my old computer, placed it somewhere on the new computer and navigated to it. So, the 1password app seems to work on the computer just fine.

I then installed the chrome extension. Seemed to install fine. I see the 1password icon in the chrome toolbar.

BUT. Any time I try to use it in chrome, I simple get an error message saying it can't connect to the app.

Help? This is super frustrating that it works fine on my phone and my laptop, but no longer on my work computer.

Dave

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mojave
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfhkvs - I'm sorry for the trouble! Have you restarted your office Mac since doing all this elective surgery? If not, I'd start there. If the problem isn't resolved by a restart, can you please tell us:

1. The specific version of macOS you have installed
    2. The specific version of 1Password for Mac you have installed
    3. The specific version of 1Password extension you have installed in your browser
    4. The specific version of browser(s) you have installed, and using 1Password in (or trying to)?
    5. Anything else you think might be of value to helping us figure out how best to help you.

Thanks. :)

• dfhkvs
    dfhkvs
    Community Member
    Options

Has been restarted many times since the rebuild.

1. Mojave 10.14.5
    2. Version 6.8.9
    3. Version 4.7.3.90
    4. Version 74.0.3729.157
    5. I first tried installing 1password7, but that would not accept my license file. So, I uninstalled that and installed 6.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfhkvs - thanks for the additional information.

I first tried installing 1password7, but that would not accept my license file. So, I uninstalled that and installed 6.

That's likely going to be the issue. Please uninstall the 1Password extension in Chrome, then visit the Chrome Web Store and grab a new copy of our extension, and install that. If it still doesn't work, then you may not have uninstalled all of 1Password 7 for Mac. Let us know how you get on! :)

• dfhkvs
    dfhkvs
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I was unclear. The 'app' installed is 1password6. The extension is simply the latest extension available at your website. It is not an 'old' version of the extension.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfhkvs - thanks for the additional information. I know it's not an "old" version. Can you please try uninstalling it and downloading/installing a fresh copy?

• dfhkvs
    dfhkvs
    Community Member
    Options

I think that may have done the trick. I had to scrub library / keychain / etc of a few hidden 1P files.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfhkvs I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day! :)

• dfhkvs
    dfhkvs
    Community Member
    Options

Another question. I bought a stand-alone license years ago. 2016. With that license can I upgrade to 7? Or, do I need to buy another one? And, now that my kids have phones etc., is there some sort of family license we can upgrade to? I find the options kind of complicated...thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfhkvs

With that license can I upgrade to 7? Or, do I need to buy another one?

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so it does require a separate license.

And, now that my kids have phones etc., is there some sort of family license we can upgrade to?

We don't have a standalone family license, so if you prefer the standalone option, you would need to purchase multiple licenses for your family members. But at this point, I think you should consider a 1Password Families account.

In addition to password sharing, a Families account offers you a lot more features, which I believe your family will find useful in your day to day life. It has been a far more popular choice and from the feedback we get, people prefer the ease that having a 1Password membership comes with (when it comes to things like managing backups, syncing, multi-device management etc.).

Basically, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. We also have a nice getting started guide for you, which shows you how to get up and running with 1Password Families.

I hope this helps! Have a wonderful day :)

• dfhkvs
    dfhkvs
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the information. One more question. My wife and I have two separate standalone licenses. If we wanted to go the family account route, is there some way for us to import in both of our vaults of passwords?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfhkvs Certainly. After creating a Families account, you will be asked to migrate your data. When you add your wife to the account, she can then move her data to her account too in the same way.

This discussion has been closed.