1password7 with wlan only

bpourkazemi
bpourkazemi
Community Member

I want to use 1password7 only with WLAN syncing. Does a subscription support this, or is my only option buying a license?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bpourkazemi!

While we do not recommend this for most users, you can keep your data locally and sync via WLAN even with a subscription. You would miss out on all the features that 1Password.com vaults offer (such as Item History and Travel Mode, for example), but you are in control of your data, so you can certainly do this if you want.

• bpourkazemi
    bpourkazemi
    Community Member

Thanks ag_ana! How do I enable WLAN syncing? Wasn't able to find it from the settings.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bpourkazemi Here is our support article on how to enable WLAN sync.

I hope this helps!

• bpourkazemi
    bpourkazemi
    Community Member

Thanks again! I don't see the option but I think that's because I started paying for a subscription. If I cancel my subscription will I be able to access the WLAN feature without getting locked out? I want to be extra careful to not get locked out :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bpourkazemi Even if you have a subscription, you can still keep vaults locally if you prefer. You probably just have that option disabled at the moment. Can you please open 1Password and go to Preferences > Advanced, and make sure that the option named "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" is enabled?

This option will create a local Primary vault, for which you can then enable WLAN sync :)

• bpourkazemi
    bpourkazemi
    Community Member

Thanks! Can you confirm that disables online sync?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bpourkazemi you are very welcome!

Can you confirm that disables online sync?

Just make sure that your Vault for Saving (under Preferences > Vaults) is set to Primary, and every new item you create will be stored there rather than in your online account :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bpourkazemi - ag_ana's advice is correct, but to just answer your question a bit more directly for your benefit as well as anyone else finding their way to this thread, NO. This will not "disable online sync." Your 1password.com account's vaults (Personal or Private) will always sync via the 1password.com servers only; this cannot be changed. That's why there is no Sync option in Preferences if you have only a 1password.com account.

What ag_ana's instructions allow you to do is create local, standalone vaults for which you can set the sync method to any of our advanced methods (WLAN, Dropbox, iCloud). This is part of the reason we don't recommend this for people who want/expect to keep their data "offline": because in order for the 1Password app not be in read-only mode, it must be paid for by either a standalone license OR a 1password.com account. If you choose the 1password.com account, you MUST be signed into it within the 1Password app...and that means you'll have at least one vault which WILL be syncing via 1password.com and which cannot be switched to sync otherwise. You can choose to keep that vault empty, and some users do this...but if you forget or accidentally save some of your new items to the 1password.com account's Personal or Private vault, then those items will sync via the 1password.com servers.

If you want a 100% "offline" experience with only WLAN sync, you'd be best-served by purchasing a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, rather than paying via subscription for an account you won't ever use but MUST be signed into in order to use 1Password for Mac. Hope that makes sense; let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.