Trying out 1Password, need help importing passwords please

thanirs
thanirs
Community Member

Trying out 1Password account (families). I need some help please. I use Chrome SmartLock and my wife uses Firefox password manager. What's the quickest way to import them all into 1Password? I would rather not do it one by one. This is one of the reasons I have already wasted 1 free trial. It seems daunting to move from one manager to another manager :) Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member

Hi peeps, just found a way to import from Chrome!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thanirs - glad to hear you found a way to import from Chrome! To be clear for anyone else reading this, if you have a 1password.com account, you can use the importers found at 1password.com within your account (just click your name followed by "Import" and choose the "Chrome" option). There are also importers for some other password managers as well, and 1Password can always import from any .CSV file (click "Other" to get this option), though you may have to do some manual ordering of the data to get it into the proper order that 1Password understands. There are also some slightly different options if you're using one of our native 1Password applications. We're here to help if you have questions or run into any difficulties.

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member

Chrome import and instructions on your support site were great, worked as expected. Now onto importing from Firefox. I couldn't find an export option from Firefox. Any tips here? Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thanirs: Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it. :)

Unfortunately Firefox does not seem to have an export function for this. There are, however, various utilities out there that claim to be able to do it, so it's worth looking into. It appears that will be the hard part: getting your data out of Firefox. Once you do though, you just need to make sure it's formatted correctly and you should be able to import it into your account through the 1Password.com web interface. If it's already a CSV, this will help with formatting:

How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

And @MrC ’s converter can help you get it into 1Password's native format, 1PIF, so it can be easily imported using the desktop app. Cheers! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

You can bypass the CSV completely if the Converter Suite is used - it supports native Firefox password decryption / conversion. Same for Chrome.

@thanirs - which platform are you using?

Here are the converter suite threads for either platform:

Converter suite - Mac

Converter suite - Windows

@brenty - We've retired the mondo thread, and are using the two threads above for reference.

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member

@MrC macOS during the setup phase. Thanks for the links!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@thanirs ,

Convert away! Just download and follow the directions in the README.html.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty - We've retired the mondo thread, and are using the two threads above for reference.

@MrC: Oops! Right you are. My mistake! Thanks for the poke.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: I've made one of Ben's announcements about this so that it is shared between both Mac and Windows forum categories, so this link is all we need going forward:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101693/moving-to-1password-from-another-password-manager

Thanks again for bringing it up! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.