How do I move version 4.6.2 to a new PC

I've been using version 4.6.2 for some time and I just bought a new PC and want to move it to the new

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I move version 4.6.2 to a new PC

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbright1953: Rather than moving 1Password, you should move your 1Password data and then just install the app:

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#legacy-downloads

You omitted OS version, browser, and sync information from your post, otherwise I might be able to go into more specifics. Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• PanyekS
    PanyekS
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I am also moving my 1Password version 4.6.2 from a Windows 7 computer to a Windows 10 computer. I had done what you suggested above, moving my 1Password data and then installing the app afterwards. When I launched the app it is completely different than what I am used to, asking for my 1password account name, an account key, and a master password. I don't recall creating a 1Password account or setting up a master password when I installed it nearly 5 years ago and I would have certainly documented it if I did. This must be required by a new version. I am assuming that I will need to create a 1Password account to set this information up. I started doing so but stopped because it was asking for a team name. This is being used for my own purposes and not for a team so I am wondering if I am heading down the correct path and that my data will be available when I'm finished.

• It sounds like you installed 1Password 7, which is a paid upgrade from 1Password 4, @PanyekS. Signing up for a 1Password membership is certainly an awesome way to upgrade, if that's what you'd like to do. If you'd like to move forward with that, you can follow this guide to get signed up and migrate your data:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Definitely do pick an individual account when signing up, or you can consider a family account as well if you'd like to share 1Password with your family. Also, make sure to pay attention to the instructions for 1Password 4 in the important box – following those will ensure your data comes with you. And, of course, if you'd prefer to stick with 1Password 4, that's an option too. You can learn all about 1Password 7 here:

https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-windows/

And if you decide you'd rather stick with 1Password 4, just let us know and we'd be happy to help. :chuffed:

• PanyekS
    PanyekS
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

bundtkate - Thanks for the response and the additional information on 1Password 7. I took another look at the installation file I used and it was for version 6.2.333 which was probably downloaded by a co-worker. Once I expanded the name column I seen the version number. My installation file for 1Password 4 must have been deleted somewhere along the way. For now I would like to stick with 1Password 4 until I look at how moving to the newer version can help us. If you can help with getting me the installation file for 1Password 4 I would greatly appreciate it.
    -SP

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PanyekS,

1Password 6.2 is indeed a very old version, which should not be used now. If you want to stick to 1Password 4, you will need to do the following:

1) Open 1Password 4 on your old PC and go to Preferences. Find the path to your vault there:

2) Download and install 1Password 4 for Windows on your new PC.

3) Set it up to sync via Dropbox during the initial setup. 1Password should find your vault in Dropbox automatically.

4) Enter your Master Password and unlock the app.

If your vault is not synced via Dropbox, you will need to click "Move to Dropbox" in step 1. Let us know if you have additional questions about this process.

Also, please note that 1Password 4 for Windows is outdated. For example, it will not work in Chrome 72 or later, see this post for more information.

Cheers,
    Greg

• PanyekS
    PanyekS
    Community Member

Greg - I now have 1Password 4 running and accessing my vaults on my new PC. Thanks for your help.
    -SP

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@PanyekS: Great news! I am glad to hear that you are all set. :)

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.