How to work with One-Time-Passwords in 1Password?

DenalB
DenalB
Community Member

I actually use an iOS app especially for OTPs. There I have all my accounts which need an OTP as a list and also I am able to use a widget on the home screen showing my favorite accounts to get quick access to their OTPs.

Now I want to switch all my OTP-accounts to 1Password. I already read the guide for using OTPs in 1Password: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

After adding the first OTP to an existing login I wonder if there is also a list of all logins with an added OTP. But I couldn't find such a list. I have to search for the login which I think has an OTP active and open it. In the details I can see the One-Time-Password.

Is there a list which only shows all of my logins which have an OTP active? How to get such a list? Do I have to manually create a tag like "OTP" and use this tag to show all of the logins?

Actually I don't see the benefit of switching to 1Password with all my OTPs. 8-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DenalB

Actually I don't see the benefit of switching to 1Password with all my OTPs. 8-)

If your current solution is working well for you then maybe you'd rather not. :) But having them stored in 1Password makes sense to me because:

1. I can access them on any device I'm signed into my 1Password account with
    2. I know they are stored securely, using the same level of protection as the rest of my 1Password data
    3. If I fill a login item 1Password automatically copies the associated OTP to the clipboard for me, making it super easy and convenient

Is there a list which only shows all of my logins which have an OTP active? How to get such a list? Do I have to manually create a tag like "OTP" and use this tag to show all of the logins?

Hmm. I have a "TOTP" tag that seems to contain all of my TOTP items, but I can't recall if I created that or 1Password did. 🧐I'll have to do some investigating on that. Do you see a TOTP tag?

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Hmm. I have a "TOTP" tag that seems to contain all of my TOTP items, but I can't recall if I created that or 1Password did.

I guess you did, “because” I don’t have this tag.

I do have 2fa/totp though and I’m 100% sure I created that myself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Same here. But it's not a bad idea. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

@Ben

If I fill a login item 1Password automatically copies the associated OTP to the clipboard for me, making it super easy and convenient

That's a big pro for using 1Password for 2FA. I will try a little bit and see if it matches for me. Thanks. ;)

Do you see a TOTP tag?

No, I don't have such a tag.

@XIII

I do have 2fa/totp though and I’m 100% sure I created that myself.

@brenty

Same here. But it's not a bad idea.

That's a great idea. I thought that there would be a new category for created OTP accounts. But there isn't. This would be a nice feature. :)

• That's a big pro for using 1Password for 2FA. I will try a little bit and see if it matches for me. Thanks. ;)

You're very welcome. :) :+1:

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@Ben
    I switched all of my 2FA accounts to 1Password and it works like a charm. Thanks! :)

• Excellent. :+1: :)

Ben

• logo
    logo
    Community Member

May I add a suggestion?

Could you add a list (and maybe even an iOS Widget) that shows a list of current OTPs? Sometimes I have to enter the OTP sometimes offline (like on my company's laptop without access to 1 password to copy from).

It's quite a hassle to search, select, scroll to the OTP section...

An overview like

Github 567890
    MySite1 786543
    MySite2 776512

would be really neat…

Thanks Peter

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @logo! We will keep it in mind :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Could you add a list (and maybe even an iOS Widget) that shows a list of current OTPs?

@logo
    I'm using the tag "2FA" which all of my OTP accounts have. So I have a list with all of my accounts having an OTP also. May be this could help?

• logo
    logo
    Community Member

@DenalB I understand, I have this tag too. But I still have to click on each item.
    On the iPhone it's even further away, as I have to scroll down to get the OTP...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @DenalB :+1: :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@logo:

Can you please elaborate a bit on your setup? For instance, do you find yourself having to do this regularly?

And when you find yourself in this situation, do you not have to copy your username and password from your 1Password app too then? I would imagine at that point you are already viewing the correct item in your 1Password app.

• logo
    logo
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

I have to admit that I do store the passwords in my company‘s keystore :'( . No access to 1Password/Browser Plugin there. A tradeoff and therefore I have a second factor on my iPhone.

For an easy lookup I have a separate OTP app that shows my favorite Webapp‘s OTP in an iOS Widget, so I only have to type them from the screen (a list like the one shown above).
    Again, that means to have one more spot to store the OTPs.

Not really convenient...

Does that explain the current situation?

Thank You for your support :blush:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@logo:

I see now, thank you for the clarification! Are you not allowed to even install the 1Password browser extension? If you were, I was thinking that you could use 1Password X on that computer, which does not require the 1Password desktop app to be installed (you could manage everything entirely in the browser).

This discussion has been closed.