Synching across platforms

SanTrom
SanTrom
Community Member

I have IPassword on my Macbook and on my iPhone. iPhone syncs to iCloud. I can't see where the Macbook syncs to but they are not synced to each other. iPhone is most accurate. I'm not technically savvy enough to fix the Macbook

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @SanTrom,

I'd be happy to help. It sounds like you may just need to set up syncing with iCloud for the MacBook. Instructions for doing that can be found here:

How to sync 1Password with iCloud

Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any trouble with the instructions.

Ben

• SanTrom
    SanTrom
    Community Member

Thanks. I'm not showing the sync icon on my desktop and I'm on v7.2.6 . The IOS version works perfectly

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SanTrom,

I'm not showing the sync icon on my desktop and I'm on v7.2.6

Do you mean under 1Password Preferences?

• SanTrom
    SanTrom
    Community Member

Yes. What tabs I see on macbook are: General/Security/Accounts/WatchTower/Vaults/Browser/Updates . My IOS version shows: General/Vaults/Security/SYNC/EnablePassword/Ipassword browser/Apple Watch.
    My IOS version is always up todate. And I can't figure how to sync the two. My IOS primary sync is to iCloud. I don't see that option on macbook . thanks

• @SanTrom,

It sounds like you have a 1Password membership account added on the Mac. If you look in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts do you see an account listed there?

Ben

• SanTrom
    SanTrom
    Community Member

Yes. It has my name with "Subscribed" beneath it. And "Set Up Other Devices".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SanTrom Thank you for the confirmation. I have a question for you: If you do have a 1Password account, which comes with automatic sync for all your devices, is there a reason why you want to keep using an external sync method such as iCloud?

• nybeto
    nybeto
    Community Member

Hello, I have been using 1Password since 2015. I recently upgraded from a license fee to a subscription account (1Password 7). PROBLEM: Only about half of the logins I formerly had created are now present in the 1Password 7 App / Browser extension on my Mac. The full set still resides on my iPhone. However, I obviously want ALL my logins, cards, etc. to synchronize and be present on both my Mac and my iPhone (and whichever other platform I choose to use in the future). SYSTEM INFO: I use a MacBook Pro Retina (2014) running MacOS Mojave 10.14.4, and iPhone 7 running the latest version of iOS (I believe that's 12.2). Before I purchased the 1Password subscription service, I was synching via Dropbox. Now I don't know how the synching is working, or why only some but not other logins synchronize. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nybeto: It sounds like you haven't (yet) migrated all of your data to your new account. Have you signed into your 1Password account on your iPhone (under Settings > Accounts)? Don't do anything yet as I'm not sure what you've done and what the best plan of action will be. Do you have everything in 1Password on your iPhone? Thanks in advance!

• nybeto
    nybeto
    Community Member

@brenty: I did sign into my 1Password account on my iPhone. That did not do the trick. I believe I do have everything in 1Password on my iPhone, but it could be that some recent logins created on my computer have not synced (I would need to check one by one, a tall order since I have over 700 logins / cards / accounts, etc.) Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nybeto: In the desktop app, you can sort by modified date. That can help you see what you changed recently. Do you have a "Primary" (local) vault on any of your devices, and do you have any data in that which you need? That would not be part of a 1Password membership account, so you'd need to copy those items to your account's Personal/Private vault.

• nybeto
    nybeto
    Community Member

@brenty: On my phone I do indeed have a PRIMARY vault. I just copied all items in it to my PERSONAL vault. All such items instantaneously appeared on my desktop app. Thank you for your help! A few more issues: (1) Should I no longer use my PRIMARY (local) vault on my iphone? If I do, is there a way to synchronize it with my desktop app? (2) Should I no longer synchronize with Dropbox? What would be the advantage/disadvantage of doing so? (3) How can I synchronize EVERYTHING in my account with Dropbox, to have an extra backup?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@nybeto

I just copied all items in it to my PERSONAL vault. All such items instantaneously appeared on my desktop app.

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Should I no longer use my PRIMARY (local) vault on my iphone?

Assuming you don't need it for something specific, yes. You can delete it by tapping Settings > Advanced > Vaults, tapping your Primary vault and then "Delete Vault."

Should I no longer synchronize with Dropbox? What would be the advantage/disadvantage of doing so?

No advantages. If you have a 1password.com account, everything is synced that way. Each device on which you use a 1Password app and your account has a local cache of your data (which is how you can use it without an internet connection), which acts as a de-facto backup. You do not need to sync your 1password.com data with Dropbox, and in fact you can't.

• nybeto
    nybeto
    Community Member

@lars: thank you for your reply!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nybeto - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist, and let us know if you have any further questions/issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.