1Password X vs. Safari

I fully understand that 1Password X can’t (currently) work with Safari. But since I like Password X more than Safari I’m about to move to (the resource hog) Chrome.

That said, if there’s a chance that X may work with Safari in the near future, I might rethink my decision.

Comments

• Hi Larry! 👋 1Password X is wonderful, and I really hope one day it can come to Safari, but I do not think that day will be too soon. If Chrome doesn't work well for you, maybe an alternative Chromium-based browser would be another option? Off the top of my head I don't know how its performance compares, but I am quite fond of Brave Browser, and some other options are Opera, Vivaldi, and the upcoming Edge.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve tried Vivaldi in the past but don’t remember now why I didn’t care for it. I’ll give Brave a try. My biggest requirement is complete bookmark sync between macOS and iOS. Thanks again.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

OK, switched to Chrome on my Mac and iPhone so I can use 1Password X. Is there a way to associate Chrome with 1Password on my iPhone? Changing the user agent to Chrome didn’t work. To open in Safari I simply long-press a login URL and select “Safari”, but Chrome isn’t an option.

• cecelia
    edited May 2019

Hey @LarryMcJ - You most definitely can use 1Password within Chrome on iOS.

It's a little more difficult to configure than in Safari, but one of my colleagues actually made a forum post with pretty screenshots that make it really easy. I'd like to direct you to that forum post for setting up 1Password with Chrome on your iOS devices:

1Password Discussion Forum | Chrome on iOS

I hope this helped!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks @cecelia. @Ben explained it nicely. But since that’s now a closed thread you might want to tell him the procedure should be edited.

Very recently Google did a complete UI/UX makeover on the iOS Chrome browser. The hue and cry of its users is that they hate the new look. I didn’t use the old version and I really like it.

Actually, now the Chrome share sheet is very easily accessed (which counters Ben’s comments). I only mention this since others will likely read his informative post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure it makes sense to go back and update an old thread which was correct at the time, since the people asking there are all set, and because, frankly, it's not going to be feasible for us to document everyone else's software on an ongoing basis. I'm glad that Google has reworked the UI so it is more convenient and discoverable to Chrome users now. :)

Also, I did want to mention to clarify for anyone else reading that 1Password X works in desktop browsers, so not Chrome on iOS or Android. On iOS Chrome is really just a wrapper around mobile Safari anyway, and regardless there isn't any way to install browser extensions; we're just using the OS's tools to enable 1Password users to fill in those cases:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your Android device

And of course we're here to help anyone who has questions about using 1Password in any case, especially since things can change over time. Cheers! :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty, it does make sense to not update it based on your comments.

• @LarryMcJ I'm glad we're all in agreement here. :smile: Let us know if there's anything else you need.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

In the end, I think I'll just stick with the 1Password browser when using 1Password on iOS...and use Chrome for everything else. Safari isn't quite as nice as Safari on my Mac, but at least it lets me use 1Password X. All the 1Password solutions work fine, I've been using them for 11 years. But there's just something about X that appeals to the minimalist in me...enough to make me give up Chrome. Thanks, again!

• Whatever works for you, @LarryMcJ, works for us. :smile: I'm a bit confused by that last comment, to be honest -- 1Password X works in Chrome, not Safari -- but as long as you have a working solution for you, that's what matters.

Wow, 11 years...I hope we have you for another 11, and then some! 💜

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

It must be past my bedtime 🙂 Yes, I meant I gave up “Safari” so I could use 1Password X on “Chrome”.

• @LarryMcJ Gotcha, no worries! I was wondering if it was past my bedtime. :wink: Have a good sleep. 💤

This discussion has been closed.