What generates items in the "Passwords" category and how do I make it stop that?

Options
parkerpress
parkerpress
Community Member

I have been curious for years about what generates the entries in my vault that have an icon that looks like keys, and seems to double-up on my saved passwords (if I go to my bank and save a password, I'll see that, and a "key icon" one as well.

Where do these keep coming from and how can I stop that from happening. I have to go in periodically and delete them because they keep showing up.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1password account
Referrer: forum-search:What generates items in the "Passwords" category and how do I make it stop that?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @parkerpress

This is a backup that the password generator makes so that if you use a password it has generated on a site but then don't save that password into a Login item you aren't locked out of your account. You can read more about it here:

If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in | 1Password

It isn't possible to disable this, but you can reduce the number of items that are retained by saving the passwords you generate to Login items.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• parkerpress
    parkerpress
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting functionality. So when I do manually "copy" them to a login item, I have to manually delete them one-by-one? I would like to request a feature where I can request that they're automatically removed after "NNN" days so I don't have to manually clean up these items from 2012, 2013, etc. I have hundreds of these spread through out my data... :(

• Ben
    Options

@parkerpress

The cleanup once saved into a login item is a more recent feature, so you may have a bunch of old items in there, but shouldn't have many newer ones if you are saving these passwords into logins. Are you seeing a bunch of newer ones as well? If so could you please walk me through your typical workflow when using the password generator?

Ben

• parkerpress
    parkerpress
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct. Most of them are "2018 and earlier" (back to 2012, 13, 14, etc).

My typical workflow is to generate a new password, manually paste it into a sites "change passwords box", then go edit that record in 1Pw and update it there.

I think I got into this habit when 1Pw didn't recognize me changing the password on a page very often, and I'd always end up losing them because there was no "save password" dialog. Unbeknownst to me, it actually was saving them as those little key icons, but since I didn't create those, I always ignored them in my database.

In looking at them closer, I can see that I have multiple copies for some sites, about a year apart, as I'd do my annual password rotation. So maybe I'll modify my "enhancement request" to just "keep the latest".

Regardless, I understand more now about what's happening, and will adjust my workflow to keep cleaning these things up.

Thanks for your very, very rapid feedback! I'm impressed.

Steve

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019
    Options

@parkerpress

I might suggest just one slight modification to your workflow, if you're open to suggestions. :)

then go edit that record in 1Pw and update it there.

Instead of doing this... do this instead:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

When you bring up the save login box select the option to update an existing login and then select the login for which you're changing the password. Please give that a try if you don't mind and see if that helps with this situation. :+1:

Thanks for your very, very rapid feedback! I'm impressed.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

Ben

• parkerpress
    parkerpress
    Community Member
    Options

I'm always looking for new work flows. I'll give that a shot next time I generate a PW and see how it goes. The app has gotten stronger, faster, and more functional with each release, so I may just be doing it my old way 'cause I was too lazy to change.

Thanks again for the tips!

Steve

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Hope it works a little better for you. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.