Support Edge on MacOS?

RyanArr
RyanArr
Community Member

Now that Edge is available in beta on MacOS, are there any plans to release a 1Password extension for it? Safari is my main browser, but now that Edge is based on Blink, I'm really looking forward to being able to dump Chrome as my backup for sites that just won't behave on Safari.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RyanArr - I don't have anything to announce on that score just yet, beyond the general observation that neither 1Password X nor the more-traditional 1Password extension (desktop app required) will work immediately in version 7.2.6, nor will it work in the upcoming 7.3, almost for certain. The only available builds are "Canary" releases which are not currently in the shape we'd need them to be, in order to incorporate 1Password into Edge for Mac. That may change in the upcoming months, but I can't speak to that as it's all too new right now. I'd say plan on sticking with Chrome for the immediate future, until Edge for Mac comes into a little sharper focus.

• RyanArr
    RyanArr
    Community Member

Thanks, sounds like it's on your radar which was about the best I was expecting given that this version of Edge is so early in development.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RyanArr - yep! We're always interested in developments like these, and we'll continue exploring whether/when we can add support for Edge/Mac. Cheers! :)

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member

Whilst I'm happy testing a Canary release of Edge on my Mac, I'd be very wary of any password capturing extension, until much further down the line.
    I'm sure when the time is right you'll be there with Edge for MacOS support.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MikeofOxford - I actually need to amend the above: 1Password X DOES work out of the box in the new Canary build of Edge for Mac. What does NOT work is any sort of integration with 1Password 7 for Mac (or earlier, obviously). That's something I can't promise a date for, but because Edge on both Windows and Mac is now a Chrome variant, installing 1Password X appears to work. Sorry for the confusion. We're only getting used to this new offering from Microsoft ourselves; thanks for your patience.

• jarechu
    jarechu
    Community Member

Edge for MacOS is already in Dev Channel, like Windows version. Will be 1Password supported for Edge Dev Channel MacOS version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jarechu: we don't have anything to announce at the moment, but as mentioned before in this thread, you should be able to use 1Password X on Edge Dev already ;)

• jarechu
    jarechu
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

Yesterday, I installed Edge Dev and 1Password extension from Chrome Store (the one that requieres 1P desktop installed) and it isn't working for me. No matter if I try to fill in with a shortcut or right click option menu, it always starts opening 1P desktop instead of filling in the boxes.

I don't know if this only happens to me and it should be working properly in Edge Dev.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jarechu:

Yesterday, I installed Edge Dev and 1Password extension from Chrome Store (the one that requieres 1P desktop installed) and it isn't working for me.

Indeed, Edge Dev should work right now with 1Password X, but not with the regular browser extension yet, so there is nothing wrong with your configuration :) Edge Dev on macOS is still a new thing for us too, so we don't have anything to announce at the moment.

• phyllisstein
    phyllisstein
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana! Is 1Password X working with Edge Dev/Canary on macOS only as a standalone extension, or is the desktop integration expected to work? There’s a lot of chatter that suggests they’re still not speaking to one another. I don’t mean to whinge, of course—I know you folks have a lot of product to wrangle—just wanted to be sure my broken Edge/1Password setup isn’t more broken than it should be.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @phyllisstein! Welcome to the forum!

The stable version of 1Password X should work right away in Edge Dev, but it does not have integration with the desktop app. But that's not an Edge limitation or a problem in your setup: 1Password X stable does not have desktop integration yet. For that, you need 1Password X Beta, where we are currently testing the feature ;)

• thinklad
    thinklad
    Community Member

Do you have an ETA on when 1Password will work with Edge, now that it's publicly available?
    I tried 1Password X but it doesn't really work for me at it creates a disconnected experience (settings etc.) with the desktop app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thinklad:

It does already, you can download the extension for Edge from the Google Extensions website since Edge is based on Chromium :)

• thinklad
    thinklad
    Community Member

Indeed I did download it a while ago but at first it wouldn't run as it was saying that it wasn't signed for Edge, and now it's installed but doesn't seem to activate (I uninstalled and reinstalled the extension for good measure). Is there something I'm missing?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thinklad:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

• triplespeed
    triplespeed
    Community Member

Chrome extension installed on Microsoft Edge browser for Mac, but when I hit the command+\ key combo the 1Password mini window does not automatically select a password for the Edge webpage I am on. When I do select the correct password in the 1Password mini window it opens a page in Safari. Please provide guidance so I can use Edge. Thank you.

• triplespeed
    triplespeed
    Community Member

Now getting this pop-up window after restarting my Mac and relaunching MS Edge

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@triplespeed:

Can you confirm the version of the 1Password app that you are currently using? Thank you!

• triplespeed
    triplespeed
    Community Member

1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)

• triplespeed
    triplespeed
    Community Member

1Password chrome extension Version 4.7.5.90

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@triplespeed - please quit all running browsers, then quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Delete the 1Password app (don't worry, this won't affect your data, only the app). Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash. Visit our downloads page and download the current version of 1Password 7 for Mac (7.4.3), and run the installer. Let us know how that works for you.

• triplespeed
    triplespeed
    Community Member

That worked! Thanks Lars

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome @triplespeed! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• thinklad
    thinklad
    Community Member

@Lars I just followed these steps and reinstalled 1Password, but I still see the same error @triplespeed mentioned earlier — and when I click the 1Password extension button on Chrome I see this:

• thinklad
    thinklad
    Community Member

By the way, would 1Password behave differently between the different Edge builds? (public, dev, canary, etc.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thinklad:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• thinklad
    thinklad
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks — just opened request #MSX-46713-595.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thinklad, you are very welcome!

We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: MSX-46713-595

This discussion has been closed.