Different vault/account setup, different Master Passwords

Options

Comments

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having similar problems, and I am now in a state of some confusion. I have an original password, a password that I set up as my Master Password when I moved from a standalone 1Password7 to the subscription, AND a new Master Password that I've just set up. I didn't realise that the new Master Password would not replace all previous passwords. I have three devices, and I have completely lost track of which password will open what: the account? one vault, both vaults? on each device, on all devices? Something that was pretty simple has now become complicated, and it is entirely possible that I'll lose access to my passwords because all 3 passwords are long and complicated to type, especially on my iPhone (which adds the complication of the greater likelihood of mistyping). Obviously I can't start setting up fingerprint access on the iPhone until I know which password is doing what.

Really, I want one password to work for everything, on all devices, for 1Password. Can I reset everything in some way so this will happen (without having to delete my vaults and start from scratch).

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Just to illustrate what is happening above: on my desktop computer, I changed what was termed the "Master Password" from OLD too NEW. I then went to my iPhone, which asked for my Master Password. I typed in NEW, but it was rejected and I had to type in OLD. So my Master Password is different on the two devices? Or is one for my Account, which is different for my devices? Or for my vaults? I simply cannot get my head round this, and will not pay for the subscription when the time comes unless someone can clear it up for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg - when you install a 1Password app on any device, it uses as the Master Password to unlock the app from then on, the Master Password of whatever account or standalone vault you first set up. In other words, if you previously were using standalone data, then the Master Password in that app would be the password for your Primary vault. Adding one or more 1password.com accounts after the fact would require you to enter the Master Password for those accounts in order to add them to the 1Password app...but it wouldn't change the Master Password of the app itself. My question to you would be; do you still have any standalone vaults in 1Password on any of your devices? If you have a 1password.com account/membership, you shouldn't need to have any and (as you've seen), it can complicate things. Let me know.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars -- I've just looked at my laptop, and I see it still has 1P v6 on it, and not v7. I thought I had installed it. I'll do that and see whether things tidy up. N

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars -- Right: so I went into my account on my laptop having entered the "Master" Password that I'll call NEW. I downloaded v7 onto my laptop and the unlock symbol appeared with the bar for "Master Password" (same terms), but NEW doesn't work. Can you see that is very confusing? I've just put what I thought was OLD at the unlock symbol, and got an alert that you're having trouble signing me in. I'm now asked again for my "Master Password", and I don't know whether to type NEW or OLD. I've typed in NEW, and that seems to have worked. But I need to reset ALL so-called Master Passwords to NEW, or the difficulty of having more than one "Master Password" simply won't work for me. I've not yet tried again to see what my iPhone thinks is the right Master Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg - if you've recently created a 1password.com membership/account, that may be the problem. To be clear, you don't have to install 1Password 7 for Mac in order to have a 1password.com account, but it's certainly recommended. Make sure you just sign into your account, not transfer any of the data from 1Password 6 for Mac (assuming you already did that transfer). Let me know how it works for you.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Add to that: I have a folder on Dropbox which contains 1Password.opvault and 1Password.legacyagilekeychain

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg - let's start from the top. If you open your browser of choice and visit start.1password.com are you able to sign in using your Secret Key and any of your Master Passwords? If so, look at the data there in your account in your browser: is it what you would call a complete and up-to-date copy of your data?

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I went to <start.1Password.com>, and signed in with NEW. Now I'm presented with "Welcome to 1Password, follow these steps to get started and install 1Password on my phone etc: Steps One - Install Get the apps etc": but I've already done that. I seem to be going round in circles.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Ah -hang on! I ignored "Welcome to 1Password" and clicked on the lock icon: yes, that looks like an up-to-date list. But I still think that the welcome page is confusing, because it suggests you need to follow steps 1 & 2.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg - if what you have in your 1password.com account seems like an up-to-date list to you, then the easiest thing will be for you to start over on each of your devices' 1Password applications. When you next re-open 1Password, it will be as if you're a brand new user: just sign into your 1password.com account, and everything should be the same everywhere, using the same ("new") Master Password.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars: I'll do that, but probably not now. Thanks, N

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

@nevwg - you're quite welcome. Let us know if you run into any difficulties with any of your devices. And make sure you don't have any data that you need in any vaults besides the 1password.com vaults before you do this, as the above directions will remove ALL data from the device in question.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry Lars. I can't sort this out. I just went to Troubleshooting clear data. mypassport password is NEW, but 1Password7 is still OLD.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg - I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "mypassport password is new." Can you clarify? Do you mean you're still seeing different data on different devices? Something else?

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry: the online password (referred to as the Master Password) to password.com is NEW; the password to 1Password7 on the computer (also referred to as the Master Password) is OLD. The data on all devices is the same and is the data stored on Dropbox.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry: the password for password.com (referred to as the Master Password) is NEW. The password for 1Passport7 on the computers (also referred to as the Master Password) is OLD. Data on both computers is the same, and is as stored on Dropbox.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry: the password for password.com (referred to as the Master Password) is NEW. The password for 1Passport7 on the computers (also referred to as the Master Password) is OLD. Data on both computers is the same, and is as stored on Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg: It's not old; it's exactly what you set it to be. If you've decided to use a different one for something else since then, that doesn't affect what you've setup separately.

To be completely clear, local vaults -- sync'd using Dropbox, something else, or nothing at all -- have nothing to do with 1Password membership accounts; those are completely separate. So it makes sense to me that a password you set for your 1Password.com account won't necessarily work for the Dropbox vault, and vice versa.

What are you trying to do exactly? Are you going to use a 1Password membership, or the standalone app with a license?

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty -- that is the nub of it. It has taken me some time to realise that the password for the membership account and the password for the vault is different. For me, the problem is that BOTH passwords are asked for as MASTER PASSWORD. I think I've now got it sorted. But what I want is for both those MASTER PASSWORDS to be the same. Presumably I can change either of them.

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry: the password for password.com (referred to as the Master Password) is NEW. The password for 1Passport7 on the computers (also referred to as the Master Password) is OLD. Data on both computers is the same, and is as stored on Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nevwg: Until you change the Master Password you've set up for a specific thing (account, vault, etc.), it's _the current Master Password. All 1Password knows is that it takes what you enter as an input to try to decrypt the data. If you encrypted it previously with what you think of as "Master Password 1", that's the only thing that will work to decrypt it. It's simply math. :)

The way forward is to setup 1Password everywhere the same way, so you don't have different passwords to remember and type, and you have the same data everywhere as well.

As I mentioned above, Dropbox has nothing at all to do with a 1Password membership account. If you have a vault with data in Dropbox, that's going to be encrypted with whatever Master Password you chose when setting up that vault; and the data inside it will not be accessible to you in your 1Password membership account.

So what I'd recommend is first making sure that you have all your data in your 1Password account, by signing into the website in your browser:

https://start.1password.com

If you don't have everything there yet, copy it using the app from the Dropbox (Primary local) vault to the Personal/Private vault in your 1Password membership account.

Then login to the website again and double check that you have everything there. When you do, you can reset the 1Password app on your devices as Lars suggested, and then set up the app again with only your account. That way, going forward, you'll use the same Master Password everywhere -- the one you chose for your account -- and you'll also have the same data everywhere as well. Let me know how it goes. :)

• nevwg
    nevwg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty: If you encrypted it previously with what you think of as "Master Password 1", that's the only thing that will work to decrypt it. It's simply math. :). I hadn't realised that: now that you point it out, I understand. At the moment, I know I have the same data everywhere, it's just a matter of whether I'll try to reset my passwords, or simply remember the two of them. At least I now know why the situation has arisen. I suspect that if I'd been starting from scratch, without ever having used 1Passport (from 1P v3 I think) before, this problem wouldn't have arisen.

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear Brenty's explanation helped. If we can be of further assistance on this please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.