Command \ works once for a url but not twice

MarieF
MarieF
Community Member

MacBook Pro, Mojave 12.1, Safari 10.14.4, 1Password 7.2.6, 1Password Extension 7.2.6. When I open a website in Safari and enter command \, auto fill works correctly the first time I access a specific url. If I try to log in again to the same url without rebooting, even if I access the associated card and click on fill, the password field remains blank.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MarieF
    MarieF
    Community Member

Correction. I don’t have to reboot. Restarting Safari again allows one opportunity to use auto fill per website.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @MarieF! I'm sorry for the trouble, but I wasn't able to quite be certain from your description: did you solve the issue, or is something still not working the way you expect. If so, can you clarify it for us? Thanks. :)

• MarieF
    MarieF
    Community Member

It still is not working correctly. In Safari, I login to a website and then log out. When I attempt to login again, auto fill fails. No matter which method for auto filling I use, everything looks correct but the field(s) remain blank. The problem goes away when I restart Safari but returns if I try to login to the same site twice.

I have rebooted ... several times.

• @MarieF

And to clarify: this happens with every website, or just a particular one? If the latter... what is the URL to the website?

Ben

• MarieF
    MarieF
    Community Member

It appears to be triggered by SLFCU.org. Once the problem occurs, it occurs with all websites until I restart Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MarieF - unfortunately, that's a site we can't test since it appears to have the password hidden on a subsequent page, meaning you can't test the full Login item unless you have a valid username. I've never heard of such a thing from a single website, however. 1Password occasionally has difficulty filling certain forms at certain sites, but a) we can usually address that and b) even in the rare instances when we can't fix it for one reason or another, it doesn't result in 1Password being unable to fill any site(s). I'm curious, when you say "when I attempt to login again," what do you mean specifically? Are you signing out using SLFCU's "sign out" feature, then leaving the page open at the sign out page? Or are you closing the page after signing out? When you attempt to sign in again, how specifically are you doing that? Using Go & Fill from within 1Password's main window? The mini? Or are you opening the site manually in a new page by typing in the URL and then trying to sign in again?

• MarieF
    MarieF
    Community Member

I use the sign out feature and then reopen the sign in page from a bookmark. The first time, I type in my user ID, click on continue, and use command\ to enter the password. Works fine. I log out. Any website I try to log into after that has the auto fill problem. I’ve tried command\, the main window and the mini. Everything looks fine but nothing shows up in the field(s) to be filled. Given that restarting Safari clears the problem, I’ve wondered if it’s a cache problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MarieF - I'd like you to try this, if you don't mind:

1. Delete your current Login item for slfcu.org -- it will stay in 1Password's trash until you empty the trash, so don't worry that it's gone. Just make sure it's in the trash.
    2. Use these instructions to create a new Login item for SLFCU, then test that one. Let me know how that works for you :)
  • MarieF
    MarieF
    Community Member

I created a single login record following the directions. That didn’t correct the problem. I moved that record to trash and created two records, one for userid and one for password. That didn’t correct the problem either.

• MarieF
    MarieF
    Community Member

As I experiment with sequences of logging in and out of SLFCU along with other websites, I find that the problem is now intermittent. SLFCU no longer appears to be breaking other websites. It never works to log out, reload the login page, and try to log in. Sometimes, but not predictably, it works if I log into a different site and come back. It always seems to clear the problem if I move to a new Safari page. Note: I’m use the single record created following your instructions in the link.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MarieF - Thanks for the additional legwork! :)

It always seems to clear the problem if I move to a new Safari page.

This is going to be your best bet, then: don't leave the page open after you sign out. After all, it's trivial to use Go & Fill or even to just open a new tab manually if you need to re-sign in to any page. Without an account of our own at SLFCU (and thus the ability to test), it's difficult to say what about this particular page might be causing this issue, but if closing the page after you sign out solves it, I'd recommend that instead of keeping that page open constantly.

This discussion has been closed.