Browser restart required again in Firefox?

apasternak
apasternak
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I saw in recent release notes that browser restarts would no longer be required with 1P updates, and for a while this seemed to work. But now once again I have to restart Firefox for every update, which are quite frequent, almost daily. This is a large disruption. Is this a known issue that's being worked on? I searched for "browser restart" but did not see other recent open threads.

This is now a common sight:

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.BETA-15 (70300015)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@apasternak: I haven't seen other reports like this either. 1Password doesn't require browser restart. But if something is hung up in the browser itself (not unlikely if you're using it extensively and almost never restarting it) that may be necessary. Have you tried it? It doesn't happen to me frequently, even with all of the beta updates recently, but it does come up sometimes. Otherwise you can always go back to the stable version, if the beta process (which often involves frequent updates) is a problem for you.

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

Now getting this in Chrome as well. Also getting lots more instances of 1Password plug-in becoming non-responsive until Chrome is restarted, which is frustrating, especially since I don't experience this with any other plug-ins.🤔

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@brenty @TonyDennis

I concur.

This happens with Chrome as well and still does with the release candidate, 7.3.BETA-16 (70300016)
    1Password Beta

• iamed2
    iamed2
    Community Member

This is happening to me with Firefox on every new 1password beta version again. It used to happen, was fixed by the update that claimed to fix it, but broke again sometime recently.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iamed2, @HRD, @TonyDennis: I'm not seeing that here, even after uninstalling, reinstalling, and re-updating to try to reproduce it. Please uninstall 1Password, restart your Mac, install beta 15, use 1Password in your browser, update to beta 16, and send a diagnostics report if you're able to reproduce the issue:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

That should give us an idea of why this is happening on your machine. Thanks in advance!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@brenty,

It has occurred with the last few beta versions but did happen with the earlier closed beta programme that I was part of.

Needs a fix.

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Will do, but it should be noted that I only restart my browsers when forced to do so, so it may be weeks between browser restarts, and even less often for the computer itself. This may be contributing to my experience vs. yours.😉
    Once I restart the browser, all is then fine (...until the next time!😈).

• iamed2
    iamed2
    Community Member

Today when I got this issue it happened when I installed an update soon after I had restarted Firefox, so it couldn't have been related to an old browser version running.

How much of my settings is kept when I uninstall 1password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iamed2: If you just Trash the app, all of your settings (and data) are retained, as those are stored separately from the app itself, in its support folder. I'd recommend not using a "cleaner" app, as those tend to destroy all of that; just drag 1Password to the Trash. :)

• iamed2
    iamed2
    Community Member

Great! I'll try that procedure this weekend then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: We're not going to try to fix something without understanding the problem first, so if you can send the diagnostics after reproducing the problem as I requested we might be able to find out why this is happening to you. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TonyDennis: You may very well be right. :) Thanks for confirming that restarting the browser allows it to connect to 1Password normally, but if you can get it to happen again please send diagnostics so we can investigate.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@brenty

Done. Referenced this thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thank you! :) :+1:

ref: JVK-11714-214

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Also getting this for the last few betas with Chrome, despite being "fixed" in a previous beta

Once 1password updates itself, I have to restart the browser otherwise all 1pw mini shows the same as OP

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@defiant: What is the exact browser version you're using? And if you're able to reproduce it as I mentioned above, diagnostics may help us identify what's causing this to happen on your machine.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@brenty,

No improvement with 7.3.BETA-18 (70300018)

• @HRD,

You wouldn't notice any change until going from 18 to the release version on tuesday.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@rudy

Noted

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Let us know when you get the update. There are a few additional changes there that may help in some cases. :)

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Have reproduced the issue on beta 18, and done the diagnostic and emailed it through

Clicking on the 1password chrome extension icon does nothing vs command + \ which just shows install the 1password extension etc

ref: IJL-37215-214

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@defiant: Thanks! But per Rudy's comments above, please let us know if you encounter any issues once you update to the next stable release. He's made some changes there. ;)

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Cool, I missed that part

ref: IJL-37215-214

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It can be hard to keep up with all the changes. I can certainly relate to that! :lol: :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@brenty,

The bug is not resolved with Version 7.3.1.BETA-0 (70301000)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Can you elaborate? Let me know the Support ID you receive for the diagnostics.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@brenty,

2019-05-24_08-48

Chrome still has to be restarted to get the extension to function.

I will reply to your email quoting the above

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

Hello @brenty and @rudy,

I am seeing the same behavior as well but on Chrome.

Refer back to my original issue. Which was fixed but the bad behavior cropped up a number of builds ago. Sorry I didn't post something back then :-(

With Chrome running (and I assume Firefox too), if you update 1Password, the plugin will no longer pull up any info but tells you to install the plugin.

A simple kill -HUP of 1PasswordNativeMessageHost rights everything with no need to restart the browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@hubbend: Thanks for pointing that out! We haven't reverted anything we've changed to help with this, so that seems to just be luck of the draw. Sometimes this happens, others not. We're looking into why to see if there's a more reliable way to avoid it in the first place.

ref: apple-2908

This discussion has been closed.