Attachment View

Is there a way to view attachments inside 1Password, I find it not a good way to save them and then view them.
Often I use JPG or even simple TXT Files for additonal staff.

I realy would like to see this feature.

But as always a big THX for all the new stuff since the early Beta ;) Even the IE9 works now like a charme.

sorry for the double post, got in wrong forum.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    As I understand it, 1Password would have to create a copy of the attachment somewhere in order to open it in whatever program is associated with that file type, and would have to detect somehow when that program is finished using the copy of the attachment in order to know it's time to delete the copy...and even that would be based on an assumption that the user wanted the copy deleted.

It's just simpler, less presumptuous, and more secure to display a dialog box in which the user saves a copy of the attachment. That way, the user selects where to create the copy, knows where to find it for viewing in the associated program, and is free to keep or delete the copy after viewing it.

I trust Stefan will correct me if I got any of that wrong. :rolleyes:
    Community Member
    But if there were a bunch of files which could be viewed inside 1Passwort like TXT files and JPGs that would be a very handy. All files it does not recordnize could always be saved somewhere.

I think a lot of people would love this.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    member wrote:

But if there were a bunch of files which could be viewed inside 1Passwort like TXT files and JPGs that would be a very handy. All files it does not recordnize could always be saved somewhere.

The problem with this approach is this: as soon as we include support for TXT and JPG, someone is going to ask for PNG. And then DOC. And then XLS. And before you know it, 1Password has to become a full-blown file viewer, with the need to support almost any file format out there. I do not want 1Password to go there.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    There's also the problem of inconsistent behavior: if some file types simply "appear" within 1Password when you double-click an attachment, you're more likely to forget the need to consider whether to clean up the copies of other file types that have to be saved externally, thus creating a potential for leaving your unencrypted attachments accessible to anyone who gets hands on your computer.
  • I was looking for this file-attachement behavior as well. Mostly, I was looking for only image support, so I could take pictures of cards I normally carry in my physical wallet (such as Open Water certification, Membership cards, Insurance cards) and keep the images in the 1Password Wallet (in case my physical wallet gets stolen).

Of course as a Programmer myself, I completely understand how such a feature would become never-ending bloatware.

Thanks for the great job on 1Password - I use it on Windows and iOS and absolutely love it (especially the sync-via-Dropbox feature)!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Brian!

You can definitely attach images to your 1Password items. For example, I use that feature to store a scan of my passport, so it's sync'ed to 1Password on my iPhone, and I have it with me even if the original is lost or stolen.

Thanks for the kind remarks!
This discussion has been closed.