Choose Apple Watch display size?

TonyDennis
TonyDennis
Community Member

It would be nice to be able to set the display size for Apple Watch. I have some shortcuts for alarm codes and such, which are short, but when I display them in Apple Watch, they are really tiny and hard to read for older eyes!😉

While I understand that some people would want them to be tiny so others couldn't read them over their shoulder, other times it would be nice for them to have a "large type" option when we're alone and want to see them more clearly.

1Password Version: 7.3.1 (70300106)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TonyDennis: I'm not sure how something like Large Type would work on an Apple Watch given the current constraints of the hardware and software development tools, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate as the platform matures. It is likely not a completely satisfying solution, and you're probably doing it already, but I case it helps you or anyone else, you can increase this pretty substantially system-wide in Settings > Brightness & Text Size > Text Size. Cheers! :)

ref: apple-3129

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

I can see why the actual ad hoc "Large Type" option may not work, but how about a preference setting for Apple Watch to display type at a larger or minimum font size?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TonyDennis: That applies to all text on the watch. That's why I suggested it. ;)

Smallest:

Largest:

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

You're completely correct, but I should have been more thorough with my thinking. What I should have suggested is a minimum font size without exceeding the space on the screen. Most shortcuts show enough information that it needs a smaller font to not result in pages of scrolling to read the text, so the current font size is appropriate. What I'm thinking of is an increase in font size only when the text to be displayed is minimal, e.g., an alarm code, a PIN, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TonyDennis: That makes sense, but easier said than done since there are already four different screen sizes. And especially on screens this small every pixel counts. So it's important to balance text size with regard not just to legibility, but also fitting the information in the first place. I'm not sure we want to try to assign different text sizes to each and every different field type, but it's an interesting idea. In the mean time, increasing the system text size can make a big difference, especially on the larger watch's screens. :)

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

Maybe a preference for a larger font size for very short data, e.g., PIN's, alarm codes, etc.?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we can consider for future versions, though some layout changes (and tool updates) may help too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.