To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sync Additional Vault without a Membership using Mac OS? Update from 1Password 6 to 7 Trouble

MGOBLUE
MGOBLUE
Community Member

From the Mac OS computer, using 1Password 7, can we Synch Additional Vault via dropbox? We do not use the Membership feature, but each user has purchased a license to use the 1Password 7 on the Mac OS computer.

This sync functionality is available on the iOS apple phone App.

What we have tried: we have tried creating a new vault on User A's Mac Computer OS, then sync that vault with the desired DropBox account (which has been shared by the User B). Rather than sync, 1 Password 7 forces the new vault to create a copy of the data that is in the dropbox account of User B and then creates a new files in User B's drop box account. This is not helpful because it creates a static copy of the data, rather then update as User B makes changes.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @MGOBLUE

We do not support sharing 1Password vaults except through 1Password membership (1Password Families or 1Password Teams/Business). If you'd like help transitioning to such a setup I'd encourage you to reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com with copies of any recent receipts for 1Password purchases.

Thanks!

Ben

• MGOBLUE
    MGOBLUE
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. When opening a Membership, it asks me for my 1password, the new membership approach appears to be of higher risk from a security standpoint. Why do members need to share their passwords to open a membership?

• @MGOBLUE,

I'm not sure I follow. With a 1Password Families membership each person will establish an account within that membership which will give them their own unique Master Password and Secret Key. These details need not be shared with anyone, and are never known by us (AgileBits/1Password). You can read more about our security model here:

About the 1Password security model

If you're interested in the nitty gritty of how we make it all happen we publish a security design white paper, which is available here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

Does that address your concern? If not could you please elaborate? :)

Ben

• MGOBLUE
    MGOBLUE
    Community Member

Ben,
    I will review the linked information. There are two questions that you may be able to answer: (1) is whether we can retain our Primary Vault on our local computer without sync to dropbox or any other service. And at the same time enjoy the benefits of the Membership, which would allow other users using dropbox as a storage medium to share their information with us.

(2) When opening a membership, it asks for our Master Password. By definition, we are sharing this with AgileBits, correct? Assuming this is correct, can the Master Password we use to establish the membership be different than the Master Password we use on our Primary Vault stored on our local computer.

Thanks!

• @MGOBLUE

I will review the linked information. There are two questions that you may be able to answer: (1) is whether we can retain our Primary Vault on our local computer without sync to dropbox or any other service.

You could, but we strongly recommend against it. Keeping a Primary vault tends to cause difficulties down the road with regard to unlocking 1Password and logging in to manage your membership.

And at the same time enjoy the benefits of the Membership, which would allow other users using dropbox as a storage medium to share their information with us.

Sharing would have to be done through membership based vaults, not ones stored with Dropbox.

(2) When opening a membership, it asks for our Master Password. By definition, we are sharing this with AgileBits, correct?

No. The Master Password and Secret Key are never sent to us.

Assuming this is correct, can the Master Password we use to establish the membership be different than the Master Password we use on our Primary Vault stored on our local computer.

This would loop us back to my first point. Yes, that is possible, but it is not recommended. If you were going to keep a Primary vault, we would recommend keeping the 1Password.com Master Password and the Primary vault Master Password the same, though again we recommend removing the Primary vault once you've migrated to membership.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.