To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Two similar vaults have changes. How to merge?

gauss256
gauss256
Community Member

We've been using 1Password on two computers. For a long time we stored the vault on Dropbox. Then one computer upgraded to v7, imported the Dropbox vault, deleted it, and now has several changes that happened after the import. The second computer continued to use the Dropbox vault and made its own changes. Oops.

So now we have two vaults that are almost the same, but each has changes that the other doesn't have. How can we merge them? After we do that, we'll stop using the Dropbox vault and it won't be an issue in the future.

There's over 1,000 entries in each vault, and perhaps a dozen or two that are out of sync. I don't mind fixing this by hand if there is a way to identify the mismatches.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gauss256: The 1Password upgrade process doesn't ever delete vaults, so you would have had to do that yourself if it's been deleted. There is no way to "merge" separate vaults with similar data without getting duplicates, but 1Password for Mac has Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items...

However, as that will only work for items that are, in fact, duplicates of each other, and since you mentioned that you're talking about a couple dozen items, I'd recommend trying to manually copy the different items from one vault over to another instead. Sorting by "date modified" can help you find the ones changed most recently. If you end up with a handful of duplicates, that will be much easier to deal with than potentially hundreds.

From there, I'd actually suggest moving everything to a new vault. And a 1Password Families membership would help you avoid these kinds of issues in the future: because there is no sync configuration, there is also no sync misconfiguration -- you each simply sign into you account on each device to access your vaults.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.