hotkeys/shortcuts unreliable

When I start my computer, open Firefox and go to a page with a password form, the ctrl+\ hotkey will not work, it's very frustrating. I've found I can fix it by restarting 1password, then right clicking and clicking 1Password, only then does the hotkey work.

I had 1password4 before, and it had similar bugginess, but now I'm having the exact same problem with 1password 7 and am beginning to regret my purchase. Is there something I can do on my end to narrow down this problem, or is it an issue with 1password itself?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• megaspel
    megaspel
    Community Member

It looks like the hotkeys stop working every time 1password is relocked, requiring a full application restart to fix.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megaspel,

This is quite strange, I do not remember similar reports in the past.

First of all, could you please check if this issue remains when you use 1Password extension in a different browser, e.g. Chrome?

Additionally, please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and see how 1Password behaves in there. Does the issue remain?

Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• megaspel
    megaspel
    Community Member

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply.

I'm still trying to figure out some consistent way to reproduce this bug. At first I thought it was fixed, since I haven't been experiencing it lately, but I've just run into it again and it seems to affect all browsers, including Chrome, while the bug is active.

I'm not sure how well I'd be able to test for it in Safe Mode, as it seems to be inconsistently happening, but I'll give it a try when I have some free time. I have a feeling the bug might have something to do with the computer locking, or 1password automatically relocking after a period of time, I'll have to play with it later.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megaspel, thank you for the additional info.

If you are able to reproduce this issue consistently and are able to share the steps, it will be really helpful. I was not able to do that on my side so far.

Safe Mode is helpful, because it boots your PC without any additional software that might be interfering with 1Password. Anyway, please let us know what you find and we will work from there. In the meantime, I will try to reproduce this issue on my PC. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• megaspel
    megaspel
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Hi @Greg .

Good news! I finally figured out what's causing it. The problem occurs when I restart explorer.exe, which I do every day so I can switch from the light windows theme to the dark windows theme.

I have a script that does this but to reproduce the problem, all you should have to do is terminate explorer.exe in the task manager, then restart it with run > explorer.exe.

• Hi @megaspel,

That's a known limitation in 1Password 7.3, it doesn't have the ability to track the explorer.exe resets, so that it can re-add its icon. We're working on fixing it soon.

ref: opw/opw#3648

This discussion has been closed.