Need Help Organizing My 1Password World - Mac/PC/iOS

Options
jhinkens
jhinkens
Community Member

I've been running 1Password for years on both my Mac and PC, long before Agilebits started the subscription service model. Over time, keeping the versions and licensing organized has become more confusing. I confess I've never taken the time to really study 1Password and get to know how the back end of the program functions. I could use some guidance straightening things out.

Here's my 1Password World:

Macbook Air

• Mojave 10.14.5
  • Chrome v74.0.3729.169
  • 1Password v6.8.8 (purchased from the App Store)
  • Vault - Dropbox

iMac

• Mojave 10.14.5
  • Chrome v74.0.3729.169
  • 1Password 7 v7.2.6 (purchased from the AgileBits Store)
  • Vault - Dropbox

iPhone 8

• iOS v12.2
  • 1Password v 7.3.1
  • Vault - Dropbox

PC

• Windows 10 Pro v17134.706
  • Chrome v74.0.3729.169
  • 1Password for Windows v7.3.684 (I assume
  • Vault - 1Password

Here are the questions I could use some help on:

1. What is the difference between 1Password v6.8.8 and 1Password 7 v7.2.6?

2. How can I get the same 1Password version running on both my Macs? Confusing.

3. What recommendations do you have for standardizing my vaults? (I presently don't need to share vaults with anyone, and I'm confused by the 'Personal' vault, the '1Password' vault, and the 'Dropbox' vault. I've used the Dropbox vault for years without any grief. I would prefer to have one vault synced with all my devices. When I log in to my account on my.1password.com, I see that I don't have any vaults configured there. Looking at the setup on my PC, I thought it was syncing with the 1Password vault in their cloud. Confusing.

If I could get a recommendation on a simple setup that will result in everything being standardized, I would be a happy camper and very appreciative.

Thank you,
Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jhinkens

I'd be happy to help with that. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. 1Password 7 is the way forward. It sounds like you've signed up for a 1Password membership, and one of the benefits included with that is access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. It appears all of your devices are compatible with v7, so I'd recommend getting started by installing that version and getting signed into your membership account on each:

https://1password.com/downloads

The goal would be to get all data that you want to keep into the Personal vault, which is part of your membership, and will automatically sync with all devices signed into your account. Once you've got all of your data moved there you can (and should) delete any other vaults from all of your devices. Also, if you have not yet printed a copy of your Emergency Kit I'd highly recommend doing so now:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Please let me know how you make out and if you have any questions along the way.

Ben

• jhinkens
    jhinkens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    Thanks for your weekend reply. :) With your help I got everything sorted and organized very nicely. I updated the 1Password software so I'm now running the latest on all my devices (Macbook, iMac, PC, and iPhone). I migrated my Dropbox data over to the 'Personal' vault on the 1Password platform. And I deleted the old Dropbox vault so now I have a simple and clean setup with just one vault. I also got the Emergency Kit saved.

A couple of final questions..........
    Is there any benefit to creating a secondary vault to sync to for backup purposes?

On the subject of multiple vaults, other than sharing (which I don't need), is there any other benefit to having multiple vaults? My personal and work world are all one in the same.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Joe

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome @jhinkens. Happy to help.

With your help I got everything sorted and organized very nicely.

That is great news! I'm very glad to hear it. :)

Is there any benefit to creating a secondary vault to sync to for backup purposes?

There wouldn't be, no. All items in the Personal vault are automatically backed up and versioned, so if you accidentally delete one or make an unintentional edit you can 'go back in time' with that item. You can learn more about backups / item history here:

On the subject of multiple vaults, other than sharing (which I don't need), is there any other benefit to having multiple vaults? My personal and work world are all one in the same.

Some folks like to use multiple vaults just for organization purposes, but if you're content having your work and personal items together and aren't planning on sharing any items, then multiple vaults likely just adds complexity to the system unnecessarily. I personally envy those with a more minimalistic approach. The simpler things are kept the easier life tends to be. :) But I have all sorts of complexity some because of necessity and some because I must be a glutton for punishment! Ha! :tongue:

I hope that's helpful.

Ben

• jhinkens
    jhinkens
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Awesome Ben! You've got me sorted and I'm good to go. Thanks again for your help when both of us should be enjoying the time off! :-)
    Best to you,
    Joe

• Ben
    Options

Best to you

Likewise, Joe. Thanks! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.