To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password disappeared from extension, won't let me back in

Beestly
Beestly
Community Member

Suddenly the extension disappeared and I can't log in anymore, it keeps saying my key is invalid but I have never had a key to my knowledge. If I want to double check to make sure I don't have a key it says i have to sign in but I cant sign in without a key???? I don't understand why the extension disappeared and won't let me re-add and why I can't sign in anymore. I have verified I have the correct master password. I have 1password6, order number 12624152

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: no idea bc can't add it now
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: sync hasn't worked in ages

Comments

• Hi @Beestly

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with 1Password. You mentioned you have a 1Password 6 for Mac license. Could you please confirm that is indeed the version you have installed? I ask as v7 would require either a 1Password membership or a new license. Licenses do not include upgrades (memberships do).

As to the difficulty with the extension... it sounds like you may have inadvertently installed the membership-only 1Password X extension. You'll want the traditional extension instead if you're using a license. You can find the extension here:

Download for Mac

Please be sure to select the "An extension to your Mac app" option rather than 1Password X ("No Mac app required"). Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• Beestly
    Beestly
    Community Member

Thank you Ben. I updated the OS and that seemed to take care of the problem. So when it's time to update 1password i will need to go to purchase a membership or new license?

• @Beestly,

I'm glad to hear updating macOS seemed to help. If the version information you provided is correct you're out of date with 1Password now, in more ways than one. As far as v6 goes, v6.8.9 is the latest (and last) release, and can be downloaded here:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.8.9.pkg

It looks from your post like you're running an older version of 1Password 6: v6.8.4. If you're going to stick with v6 I'd recommend at least getting up to the latest release of that. That said, 1Password 7 for Mac has been available for some time now. If you have a v6 license, and don't want to make any purchasing decision right now, you're welcome to continue using that version. I would only caution you though that should be considered a temporary solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed/updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but it is especially important for your operating system, your web browsers, and your password manager.

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. For the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

(these instructions should be followed after installing 1Password 7)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.