I have a family membership and my wife is a member. How do we import her data to her account?

ThisPete
ThisPete
Community Member

We have a family membership. I have just invited my wife, and she has accepted. But while I see instructions for importing vaults for the primary account holder--namely, me--I don't see how to import her prior vault into this new membership.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a family membership and my wife is a member. How do we import her data to her account?

Comments

• Hi @ThisPete

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear this wasn't more evident. :( We're working to make transitioning to membership more smooth. Has your wife installed 1Password 7 for Mac on her computer yet? If not that would be the first step:

Download for Mac

Once installed, and once she has signed into her account that is part of your membership, she should be prompted to migrate any standalone vaults into the new account. If that does not happen we have instructions that may help here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

(since it sounds like she has already created the account she can skip down to the section titled "Migrate your data on your main device")

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ThisPete
    ThisPete
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for your quick reply. We use her Apple phone as the main device but unfortunately when we set up the new account, there was no prompt to import data. And when we had previously tried to file the migrate her data via the steps to which you have linked, the app just spun and spun and spun, with nothing happening. Further, when I try to do it via the computer for her, it asked for the secret key. I provided the secret key of the family account. And 1Password said it was not recognized. But that secret key works just fine for me, in the same family account.

I’m not sure if those instructions are supposed to work for a phone, versus a Mac. But as you can tell they don’t seem to be solving the problem either way.

Thank you for your help.

• Further, when I try to do it via the computer for her, it asked for the secret key. I provided the secret key of the family account. And 1Password said it was not recognized. But that secret key works just fine for me, in the same family account.

Each person has their own unique Secret Key. The key is for the account, not the membership (the membership is a container which contains accounts, if that analogy helps). Your wife would not use the same Secret Key that you do. If you do not have her Emergency Kit you can get the Secret Key from her phone in 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts > her account > Reveal Secret Key. But I'd recommend having her print an Emergency Kit, and write her Master Password in on it:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I’m not sure if those instructions are supposed to work for a phone, versus a Mac. But as you can tell they don’t seem to be solving the problem either way.

I'd recommend using the computer if possible. It should be do-able using the phone, but especially if you're having trouble completing the steps successfully on the phone the computer may be the better way to go.

Ben

• ThisPete
    ThisPete
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Hi Ben, Thanks for the tip on finding my wife's 1password secret key, which I have now done. However, you recommend that she do this set up on her computer. She does not use a computer. She uses an iPhone. Could you please post the steps for our using her iPhone to set up her fault as part of our family membership (as, obviously, the steps we are following on the 1Password site are not working). Thank you. Pete

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ThisPete: Regardless of the specific device being used, what needs to be done is the same: sign into the account in the app, as indicated at the end of the instructions Ben directed you to earlier -- under the heading "Set up your other devices":

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.