New 1Password Mini Design feedback

breslow
breslow
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

As soon as 1Password upgraded to 7.3 I started googling how to downgrade back to the 7.2.x series.

Some reasons why:

• The design of the "Search 1Password" UI looks like it's a non-native Electron application, but when I edit a Login, it opens a pop up window with the original, native-looking 1Password Mini design
  • The design of the "Search 1Password" UI presents less information than it did before

The gist of it is, I don't want to use two different UIs in one application, and pop up windows are irritating. I feel the previous functionality of editing in the same window worked fine.

I will be staying on 7.2.x series for the foreseeable future.

Edit:

I think it's worth mentioning that the original design was beautiful. I'd be a happy camper if we could switch back!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dmayo2
    dmayo2
    Community Member

I too am not a fan of the redesigned, two column pop-up/mini. I think that the left column is too cluttered -- for a site that has one login, I get that up top, but then the mini shows identities (of which I have one for each of my five family members) then credit cards -- if I need a credit card info or the rarely used, but important, indentity, I'd rather click one additional time, or if the mini sees that I'm in a checkout page, or in a form that's asks for a number rather than username and/or password then show credit cards.

Things get really crazy for sites with multiple logins (see attached). Maybe this long list should be auto-sorted (or given the ability to be) by the most used, or even, have complete logins up top before the keys (incomplete login credentials). OR give the ability to go back to the three column or something other with an additional click (which I don't mind since 1P has been and continues to save me many clicks and keystrokes!).!

• Hi @dmayo2

Thanks for the feedback on this. You can filter the items by clicking where you see "Suggestions - www.amazon.com." That may help.

Ben

• Hi @breslow,

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. Mini is not an Electron app. It is actually all part of the native 1Password for Mac process. What information do you seem to be missing from search?

I will be staying on 7.2.x series for the foreseeable future.

We can't in good conscience recommend that, but it is of course your prerogative. Please let me know about search — there may very well be room for improvement.

Thanks.

Ben

• dmayo2
    dmayo2
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, so I'm on amazon and the mini is visible, I use the drop down for Suggestions and not quite what I'd expect. Suggestions?

• @dmayo2

That does look like what I'd expect — it appears to be showing your Login items, as selected. We don't currently have a way to show only suggested items of a particular category, though that may be something the development team would consider adding if there is demand for it.

Ben

• breslow
    breslow
    Community Member

Hi @ben,

I appreciate your prompt response.

What information do you seem to be missing from search?

Here is a screenshot of the 7.2.6 UI when I visit google.com:

In one screen, I see all my logins, all my credit cards, the Password Generator function (I use this daily), as well as all of the different categories of 1Password items.

Here is a screenshot of what this looks like in the 7.3 redesign:

Where you could have shown ~10 logins in the original design, the redesign only has enough space for ~4. My credit cards are cut off. Categories are hidden under a drop down. The Password Generator seems to have been replaced by the + New Password button (I generated passwords that I did not want saved in a vault). What does Pin on Screen mean?

Mini is not an Electron app. It is actually all part of the native 1Password for Mac process.

I say that it looks like an Electron app because most Electron apps have a design that looks out of place and non-native. How this relates to the new redesign, for example, is that the background color does not match the background color of the pop up editor. This is what specifically triggered that thought. I believe that the large height of the table rows and thick black outlines also feel like something out of place of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

Another user said it best in his own thread about the redesign:

Some of these changes seem to be driven by an effort to make a fashion statement rather than an effort to focus on functionality.

Thank you for your consideration.

• jcminnesota
    jcminnesota
    Community Member

I run the 1P mini on MAC OS and when I open it the dropdown shows "suggestions" and below that my credit cards. NOT user friendly. I used to have it open to "favorites". Is there a way to user select what category opens initially? If not, please fix!!

• breslow
    breslow
    Community Member

Here's an example of why I don't find limiting space to ~4 items in the search results desirable. I'm a Software Engineer, and I'm constantly switching between upwards of 100 AWS accounts I store in 1Password. Some of them are for the same client but are for different environments (staging, production, etc), or are for different IAM users. This means if I search for "AWS Client A" or "AWS Project A" I still will need to filter out 5-6 accounts.

This is what a search for "AWS" looks like in the old design:

This is what it looks like in the new design:

• a design that looks out of place

As with any sort of design change there will be folks who love it, folks who hate it, and the majority will likely fall somewhere in the middle (and many who will migrate there after using it a while and becoming more accustom to it). That said, we certainly do want to be sure that 1Password Mini is actually accomplishing its goal of presenting the most relevant information as quickly as possible.

There is no question that it is a departure from what we've done in the past, and that is intentional.

also feel like something out of place of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

We do take Apple's guidelines seriously, and try not to violate them without good reason. If you know of specifics where we're not in line with their guidelines I'd be happy to pass that feedback along to development.

The Password Generator seems to have been replaced by the + New Password button

Correct.

(I generated passwords that I did not want saved in a vault).

Would you mind elaborating about your workflow with this? You can still generate passwords without saving them (by selecting cancel), but I'm curious what the point is of generating passwords you don't intend to save?

What does Pin on Screen mean?

This makes 1Password "stick" to the screen, even if you click off of it. It can be helpful for example if you need to copy & paste multiple fields from 1Password. We used to have an icon that did this, but now we spell it out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Absolutely. Thank you for offering your thoughts.

Ben

• @jcminnesota

There isn't a way to change the default that Mini opens to. It'll always open to suggestions. I'm not aware of any plans to change that, but I'll keep an ear out for feedback and pass it along to the development team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Ben

• sflevinson
    sflevinson
    Community Member

Version 7.3 is surprisingly rough around the edges and much more difficult to use. My wife absolutely hates it. The need to restart after the upgrade should have been reported to all users before they allowed the upgrade to proceed. There should have been a warning or perhaps even an e-mail sent to everyone. Secondly, the mini-popup opens very slowly at initially. My first thought was that 1P still wasn't working. Once it does open, the organization of logins, passwords, servers and favorites is much more cumbersome than before. What's especially crazy is that favorites have been removed from their respective categories and can only be seen in favorites. My wife prefers to scroll down the list logins to select and open a website. In effect, she uses the 1P menu as a favorites list. Now, she's presented with a very cumbersome list of everything. I showed her how to use the dropdown to select only logins, but then her favorite logins don't appear in the list. She likes having a set of favorites in the 1P main window, but hates the way she has to select the favorites menu manually in the mini-popup. I just find the whole thing to be counterintuitive. On top of all that, filling a password requires an extra step - one actually has to click on Autofill. All-in-all, I find v7.3 requires a lot more effort to use than the previous version and there are definitely a lot more steps involved, just to fill in a password. This is a giant leap backwards.

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member

I have been using 1Password since 2011. This 1Password mini update is one of the worst I have seen.

Many more clicks to get where you want to go.

You really need to be able to default the opening mini screen to what you want.....example in my case Favourites.

My safari browsers homepage is google search . When I open the mini it opens my search history under google search & displays it.

Also the mini will not stay pinned to where I want it to open on my screen. When I close the mini & reopen its back to where it wants to go.

A couple of times mini will not open & I have to quit safari to get it going again.

Not impressed with the roughness of this upgrade.

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member

Why do you open with "Suggestions" when people have told you before that they want the ability to set their own opening. I prefer it to open to Favorites.

I have to agree with the sentiments above. This update was not your best effort. I went into panic mode when the system did not work after update. A restart was my last-gasp effort and it should have been my first as that got the system working again. You should have put a notice on your homepage about the problem of Mini not working and that a restart would fix it.

Getting back to the opening screen. Why do you think that you folks know what I want to open with? Now I have to still click to get to Favorites.

If you refuse to do what your customers are asking for they will investigate the other password mangers out there for the Mac. I'm a pretty good software developer/engineer and I know for a fact the putting in a preference radio button offering a choice to opening in Suggestions, Favorites, Logins. All, etc., would not be difficult. Your customers don't like the way the 'open' has been and how it is now so why didn't you change it during this large re-write?

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member

Count me as another who is not a fan of the redesigned mini.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Redesign of the browser extension popup.
  • mpmchugh
    mpmchugh
    Community Member

How does one get to the Password Generator now? It seems to have disappeared from the pop-up entirely!

• Hi everyone.

The need to restart is not a widespread problem. There have been a handful of reports indicating that it was necessary to restart to get the browser extensions working but for the vast majority the update installed just like any other. I'm not entirely sure at this point why it was necessary for some, but we are looking into that.

As for the feedback on the changes... we appreciate your perspectives. Overall the comments we've heard have been overwhelmingly positive, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any further room for improvement. We'll continue to monitor what folks have to say and iterate accordingly. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Ben

• @mpmchugh

There is a button in the upper right hand labeled "+ Password". That'll get you the password generator. :)

Ben

• mpmchugh
    mpmchugh
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

That's not very intuitive, as, the button on mine says " + New Password" which does not imply a password generator, but a new password/login record.

The listed Cmd-G shortcut no longer even works.

The options also seem more limited than before. :-/

• You're right, I looked quick, it is "+ New Password," not "+ Password." Sorry for the mixup. Thanks for the feedback @mpmchugh.

Ben

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member

Quote from Ben:
    "There isn't a way to change the default that Mini opens to. It'll always open to suggestions. I'm not aware of any plans to change that, but I'll keep an ear out for feedback and pass it along to the development team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience."

Well with all due respect Ben there is a way. Just redesign the opening screen in 1p mini. Listen to your customers please.

The extensive notes from 1Password on this upgrade go to great lengths on extolling the virtues of the upgrade. How much easier it will be to use etc. Unfortunately nothing could be father from the truth.

• I meant at the present time. Thanks for your perspective, @Boomer49. I'm sorry to hear it isn't a good fit for you. We'll keep those thoughts in mind as we continue to move forward. :+1:

Ben

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply Ben. I really hope that your developers can improve the opening screen.

It may not sound like it but I am a 1password fan & have been since 2011. I'm sure that the 1password team can correct the various issues that have arisen with this upgrade, & hopefully sort out the 1pw opening screen. It's not just me that is finding the opening screen cumbersome, other users are too.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words, and your feedback. :) The irony is that these changes are -- no joke -- in response to feedback from many other users, who, like you, are really passionate about 1Password and let us know what they thought needed improvement in the previous iteration of 1Password mini. So while we can't necessarily please everyone, we'll keep listening and improving 1Password with each update -- some big, some small -- over time, to strike the best balance we can. Cheers! :)

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I was here the last time you guys redesigned Mini and it was awful. Thing is, it did have its perks. The concept was okay, it was just poorly designed. Now you guys have made design improvements in some areas (like increased contrast) but in other areas... stuff gets cluttered.

It feels like, and this is just my personal perception, you guys try to respond to feedback but you're just not very good at the whole... design stage? Like you have great ideas on how something should work and then you implement them in the ugliest way and it just doesn't end up working out. But you ship it anyway because at least the idea lined up with customer feedback.

I think one thing you definitely need is a basic and advanced mode switcher. I'm a fairly active netizen but I don't have 50 Amazon accounts like some people in this thread. It sounds like there are a lot of hardcore users, who value multi-item functionality, and a lot of basic users who like things to look neat. You're in a constant tug-of-war between them. Maybe make them happier by splitting the design rather than trying and failing to make a one-size-fits-all?

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Just installed 7.3. Thank goodness I only installed it on my personal computer. At first try, this is not a good change for work. I have multiple systems with multiple userids. I have some 1P logins that I only specify a generic URL for because the userids are used on many systems. I am in sales and demo our solutions, hence all the multi-use userids and such. I have 1,500 1P items of which over 700 are logins. I will have to spend more time with the new version but from what I've seen so far it's going to take some extra manual effort (typing and/or sorting through lists) to use it. P.S. I wish I'd known you guys were at the RSA show before I left. Did you have developers there? I think they would have been interested to see how I use 1P.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sheza: I remember. ;) Maybe we listen too much to customer feedback. :tongue:

In all seriousness, we're not going to be able to maintain what would effectively be two separate apps: an "advanced" UI and a "basic" UI. That's just not realistic from a development perspective, and would also be super confusing for customers and anyone trying to help them ("Which UI are you using?")

We listened to constructive criticism from everyone about the old design and incorporated that into this new one, over the course of months -- literally -- with both internal and public beta testing, iterating over time, which you can see right here in this forum.

As I mentioned above, we're probably not going to be able to please everyone, but we're going to keep trying our best to anyway. For many, this update is old news; for many others, it's a pleasant surprise: it's stuff that's been requested for a year, and worked on and tested for months. But of course for some, the now-old-new-mini grew on them and even if there were things they didn't like, there were others they did and/or were used to.

I'm sorry that the new design isn't a slam dunk for you, but we're by no means finished. So if you have specific requests, let us know. I'd suggest though that it might be more effective for you to participate in the beta, as that's where the new stuff will appear first for you to like or dislike, and tell us why, at the stage when its still being tweaked day to day. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Piggy: Off the top of my head, I don't think we had any Mac developers as RSA. They've been pretty busy with the beta for the last while. I know we had a fair number of 1Password people there overall though. I'm sorry you missed that opportunity, but I bet you'll see some of us at other conferences before you know it. :chuffed:

Anyway, as you use the version over the coming days and weeks, be sure to let us know specifically the issues you're running into. I wish more passionate folks like you participated in the (rather long) beta to provide feedback during the developmental stage, but like conferences there's always more to come. ;)

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty I think I will join in and see how it goes. It’ll be fun to see if I can come up with a happier medium. You’re right in that some of the Mini features did grow on me. It’s also amazing how much of an impact small things can have on people. For me it was the lack of anchoring of mini to the browser’s plugin button. For others in this generation it sounds like it’s the delay when clicking the button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think that it's mainly a matter of figuring out which adjustments need to be made where: software, design...wetware? :lol: On the surface it can often seem like one, when maybe usually it's a combination. Anyway, easier said than done, but we're pretty invested in it and enjoy the challenge. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.