1PasswordX Chrome Extension is always 'corrupted' now...

Multiple times daily, the 1PasswordX Chrome Extension becomes 'Corrupted' and needs to be repaired in the Chrome extensions tab.

Chrome: Version 74.0.3729.157 (Official Build) (64-bit)
MacOS : 10.14.5 (18F132)
1PasswordX: 1.16.2
1PasswordX: 1.15.x (what ever the latest was, I switched to the beta to try to solve this. did not work Stable and beta exhibit this Corruption issue)
1Password 7 Version 7.3.BETA-14 (70300014) 1Password Beta

It will run fine for several hours, but eventually quits and shows 'corrupted' message in the extensions tab and needs to be repaired.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.BETA-14 (70300014)
Extension Version: 1.16.2 1.15
OS Version: MacOS : 10.14.5 (18F132)
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Houdini7! Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any other Chrome extensions that could be interfering with 1Password X? Or perhaps some security software installed on this device?

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @ag_ana, that's the process I'm slowly working through now. (as it takes a while for the extension to trigger a corrupted state, this takes a long time :) )

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@Houdini7 – Sounds good! Keep us posted. :)

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

After many different configurations the extension is still becoming corrupt.

The latest configuration is very basic:
    Fresh install of Chrome: Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Fresh install of 1PasswordX: 1.15.2
    No other extensions
    No Mac client (uninstalled completely)

After working for 1-2 days, the extension will become corrupt.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Houdini7: I've never even heard of this before. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum.

Also, you didn't answer Ana: Do you have "security" or "cleaner" software that may be interfering or actually messing with the files? Let me know what you find.

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

I will grab a. Screen shot when I get back home.

The visual symptoms are pretty straight forward however.
    I can tell it’s broken when:
    1) The icon in the browser will disappear when you click on it
    2) The Extension tab of the browser shows the 1Password extension, disabled. With the warning that ‘This extension has likely become corrupted’...
    At that point, I hit ‘Repair’ and it re-installs 1Password, requires me to do the normal 2FA to re-authenticate it to that browser, and all is good for another day or so.

Note: The icon/1Password work fine, until it doesn’t. And it just disappears and I have to repair the extension.

I’ll get a screen shot when this happens next!

Thanks!

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

As for any security or cleaning software:
    I have Malwarebytes and CleanMyMacX
    However, both of those are on Manual scanning, and I did not run either while this was happening.

I’ll look into removing both of them to further eliminate possible culprits!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Houdini7: Sounds good! :) :+1:

However,

1) The icon in the browser will disappear when you click on it

I have never seen or heard of this before: the icon disappearing when clicked.

The only thing I can think of is that you have both 1Password X and the 1Password desktop extension installed somewhere and you've got Chrome syncing them. When you install 1Password X, it will uninstall the desktop extension if present. So then the question becomes which icon are you clicking? Is that maybe what you've got going on?

2) The Extension tab of the browser shows the 1Password extension, disabled. With the warning that ‘This extension has likely become corrupted’... At that point, I hit ‘Repair’ and it re-installs 1Password, requires me to do the normal 2FA to re-authenticate it to that browser, and all is good for another day or so.

Yeah that's really baffling, as it would have to be something outside of 1Password and the browser: neither can or will corrupt themselves.

However, both of those are on Manual scanning, and I did not run either while this was happening. I’ll look into removing both of them to further eliminate possible culprits!

Definitely give that a try. Even if scanning is done manually, having them running at all means they're doing something. Though knowing what and why is not easy.

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Houdini7: Well... Thank you. I guess I am disappointed because your description was spot-on. I thought maybe the actual error would reveal some additional details. Does clicking it get you anything more?

I was researching this a bit, and there's nothing definitively helpful. But a few highlights are:

• Can be caused by missing update_url value in the extensions manifest.json. We have that...but it's possible that something is modifying or removing it on your system. It's just odd that we haven't seen other reports of this, if it's caused by specific software.
    • Can be caused due to a false positive with Windows Defender, which quarantines it. Again, that's built into all Windows 10 installs, so I'd expect this to happen a lot more...and you're not even on Windows!

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that there were apparently many cases like this with another password manager a couple years ago. So my theory is as follows:

1. 1Password uses encryption, as does malware, especially ransomware, so it tends to get flagged more often than some other software
    2. While the 1Password desktop extension doesn't actually have any cryptographic functions built into it (all of that is handled by the desktop app), 1Password X is designed to be entirely self-sufficient, so it does
    3. 1Password X is also relatively new, and we even just released a big update this month
    4. Antivirus software is relatively rare on macOS, so (inline Windows) there's less opportunity for users to encounter issues like these and, therefore, to report false positives to the vendors
    5. Something modifying the extension would cause this error, but...
    6. The browser has an index of extensions, so it will know it's looking for this one even if it's been removed completely; if it's missing, it can just download a fresh copy when you "repair" it if necessary

And then the whole cycle starts over again.

Based on what we know and what we have ruled out so far, I would bet that if you remove 1Password X and use the 1Password desktop extension, this doesn't happen. However, in the interest of science, I'd like you to try the following:

Keep using 1Password X. The next time this happens, find out if it's just bee blown away completely by going to Chrome's extensions in Finder:

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions

⌘ ⇧ G is a handy shortcut to get there by pasting that. You're looking for this folder:

aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa

That's the stable channel of 1Password X. Maybe you see something like this, but missing a few things:

Everything there is 9,862,843 bytes (10.9 MB on disk) for 438 items for me...but yours may vary no matter what because you have different stuff cached, etc.

Or you may find that all of that is missing. Either way, something missing would confirm a) something is removing files, and b) that's why you're running into this error. Then it's a matter of narrowing down what is doing that by trial and error. Is there a log of activity for that software? I would imagine if they're quarantining something, there would be a way to find out what and why. Let me know what you find!

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

So we're getting somewhere.

This AM, I found the Extension was corrupt AND The Directory EMPTY!

So now I'm on a hunt to understand why that happened.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

That's super interesting, @Houdini7. You mentioned you have Malwarebytes and CleanMyMacX installed, but they're set to manual scanning. Do you know of any other utilities that could be altering the files in the 1Password X Chrome extension folder that you may have installed?

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

I think I figured out what's causing this...

I turned Off Google Chrome Synching. And all has been OK for the last 2 days.
    I found this symptom when googling for 'chrome extensions disappearing' and apparently some corruption in Google's ability to keep multiple Chrome extensions synched across devices 'could' cause this...

There is no obvious explanation for this behavior, as synching should have Enabled 1 Password to be ON across all my devices, not to remove it randomly...

I'm going to monitor this longer, but we seem to be making progress

• Excellent detective work @Houdini7. Please do keep us in the loop on this. We'd love to better understand what is going on here so if other customers run into this in the future (fingers crossed for not) we can be of better assistance.

Ben

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

So far so good. (Chrome sync still OFF)

I re-loaded all my normal extensions yesterday. Good so far.

And for those playing along at home ...
    I had not only un-installed Maywarebytes and CleanMyMacX but still had the issue happen. I also re-installed them, Ran multiple scans / cleanings (including Chrome) and those actions did Not produce the error. (also supporting the theory that the Chrome Sync is 'bonkers' somewhere :) )

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

Well, that did not last long.

Chrome sync still off and the Directory is gone! (obviously the extension was not working either)

Back to the drawing board...

The only other thing that I suspect may be at play are the 2 options that I set in 1PasswordX.
    1) Never lock
    2) Update to the new Look

I'm going to leave those as defaulted and see what happens

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Houdini7: Very interesting. Thanks for following up! I've seen plenty of interesting issues with Chrome adding extensions to other machines due to syncing, but never had anything like that happen. :)

The only thing remotely close to that I can think of is that 1Password X will disable the 1Password desktop extension if the latter is present when installing the former...but not vice versa, and that doesn't cause errors.

So at this point I'd be willing to bet it's something entirely outside the browser, since the folder is being removed right out from under its nose (so that it still expects to find it). Other than automated overzealous "security" or cleaner" software running in the background, I'm not sure what would do that. Are you sure you don't have a remnant of something else even hanging around? Some of that stuff can be hard to even remove completely. I'd check Running Processes to see if anything there stands out.

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

** SOLVED **
    Root Cause: a Program called "Coherence Pro"
    This app will create a Mac App from a browser/website. (it's actually a really nice tool)

Coherence was Not playing nice with the Chrome Browser Extensions after a recent update.
    This caused the browser (in the Coherence made app) to try to 'sync' its extensions locally (on my machine)
    As I had NOT wanted to give 1PasswordX access to the app that I made from the Coherence tool, I told it to Not include any extensions. Consequently, it was now in conflict.

I have manually synched all my Coherence made Apps and All is well now!

I know this is a Really small Edge Case, but good to know for anyone that uses any 'Browser to App' program (Coherence is just one, Fluid used to be another, not sure if that's still around or not).

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ohhh wow. I never would have even thought to look at something like that. I've never used that particular app, but had others like that over the years. Thanks so much for the update! That may help others who run into a similar issue. :)

• noelindemuth
    noelindemuth
    Community Member

Hi All,
    I’ve just read this and it describes my problem to a T. However, I don’t have an app called “Coherence Pro” or anything like that. This may or may not be related, but I see that I have certain “apps” that are from Chrome- Google Play Music, Chromebook Recovery Utility, and Chrome Remote Desktop are a couple examples. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how those apps got there and I have even less of a clue how to get rid of them.
    I do, however, use Chrome Canary side-by-side with regular Chrome. I use Canary for my personal account and regular Chrome for my school account. I have the 1Password extension installed on both. Canary is my default browser. I also have 1Password X installed, but rarely use it. I could try uninstalling the 1Password extension on regular Chrome, because I don’t use it there much.
    The extension works perfectly fine on regular Chrome, but seeing as I’m not in school right now, I’m not using regular Chrome- I’m using Canary. I followed the steps to find the extension folder in Canary and it’s there, all 10.9mb of it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Noe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@noelindemuth: It sounds like you're not using a Mac, so it's not surprising that the apps you have might be different -- and likely the cause as well -- so I doubt it's related. So please let us know the specifics: what exactly are the steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening as a result?

Keep in mind that Canary is a prerelease version of the browser, so it will inherently be more buggy. Are you signed into a Google Account? That will sync extension settings, but if something goes wrong there that will sync as well.

• noelindemuth
    noelindemuth
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

@brenty:
    I actually am using a Mac, v10.4.5.
    The 1Password extension will basically disappear from Chrome- the only reason that I know something’s wrong is because when I go into Settings>More Tools>Extensions, I see this:

It’s worked perfectly until about a week ago, but I’m at a loss as to what changed. Every time it disappears I go back into the extensions menu, click repair, and it reinstalls the extension and I authenticate it again. In fact, I “repaired” it last night and at the time that I’m writing this, it’s gone again.

p.s. I misspoke in my last message- I have the 1Password desktop program installed on my computer, but have 1Password X installed on both my Chrome and Chrome Canary browsers.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@noelindemuth – Thanks for the additional info! Brenty had some suggestions in a previous post; did you get a chance to look those over and see if they help the issue you're experiencing? @Houdini7 ended up realizing the issue was with an app called Coherence Pro. Do you have anything similar installed on your computer?

• noelindemuth
    noelindemuth
    Community Member

@kaitlyn-
    As I explained in my previous post, I don’t have anything like Coherence Pro installed, and the whole 1Password folder is in my extensions folder (all 10.9mb of it.)
    Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@noelindemuth: Except Chrome is saying it's not valid, which you posted the screenshot of. 1Password (or any extension) can't do that to itself, so it's worth finding the external cause. Since it's your machine you're going to be the only person who could potentially know what that might be. We can only give suggestions. You can shoot them down, but then it's just kind of up to you. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• mrengy
    mrengy
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

@Houdini7 Thanks for tracking down this bug and for the thorough documentation. I'm having the same issue of the 1password extension for Chrome becoming corrupted every 1-2 days, and I also use Coherence Pro.

I didn't follow what exactly you did to resolve this. Can you clarify? You mentioned

I have manually synched all my Coherence made Apps and All is well now!

I'm not seeing any option that sounds like manual syncing either in Coherence preferences or in the steps when creating a Coherence app. Please help me figure out which buttons to press to resolve this issue!

Mac OS 10.14.4
    Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password extension version 4.7.5.90
    1Password for Mac version 6.8.9
    Coherence Pro version 1.1.3

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member

1) Make sure that ALL your Coherence Pro made apps (not just the main Coherence Pro app itself) are updated. The newer version of the app supports 'migrating' older compiled apps to the current Chrome engine.
    2) I had to make sure that ALL my CP made apps were enabled for the 1 password extension. That appeared to be the main issue combined with a bug in their app itself.
    3) I further complicated my environment by having CP apps installed on multiple machines and when those would try to sync their Chrome preferences all chaos broke out, so I made them all consistent :)

I hope that helps.

If all else fails, turn off Chrome synching (preferences in chrome,) shutdown any CP made app, repair 1password. That should get it working in chrome on that machine. From there you can then start up any CP made app and watch to see when it 'corrupts' the 1Password extension.
    In my experience, it was easy to see, the entire iPassword Extension Directory would vanish, as the Chrome engine bound inside the Coherence Pro made app tried to synch itself on the local machine.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I love this! Thanks for helping our friend @mrengy out, @Houdini7. If you have any questions about 1Password, we'll be here for you. :)

• mrengy
    mrengy
    Community Member

Fantastic. Thanks. I'll try your suggestions, and if you don't hear from me again, that means it worked.

This discussion has been closed.