Master Password Puzzle

Bagsy
Bagsy
Community Member

Somethings puzzling me. I have a trial 1password membership and use ipassword on my iPhone and on my windows 10 PC and everything works fine. I recently changed my master password at https://my.1password.com/profile on my windows 10 PC. I expected that the app on my iPhone would recognise that the master password had changed and would ask me to enter the new master password but it didn't. The app on my iPhone is quite happy to continue usimg the old master password and everything still works fine. . The reason I am puzzled is that because everything works fine it would appear that the encryption/decryption that happens on my iPhone isn't using the master password that I enter when I fire up the app on my iPhone. It must be using the new password I set up on my PC, but how does it know what the new password is?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Bagsy,

Sorry for any confusion. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of that. Do you have a vault called "Primary" on the iPhone? You can check in 1Password > Settings > Vaults > All Vaults.

Ben

• Bagsy
    Bagsy
    Community Member

Yes the primary vault is still there. Before I took the 1Password membership I had been using the iOS app for a couple of months on its own.

• Okay. That's the problem then. :) The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. For this and other reasons we highly recommend deleting the Primary vault once your data has been migrated to 1Password.com. Instructions can be found in the migration guide:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

The Primary vault should be deleted from each (and every) device it is on. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Bagsy
    Bagsy
    Community Member

Just bear with me on this. With the primary vault present if I add a new login it adds it to the personal vault not the primary vault. What master password does it use to encrypt the data?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bagsy: Both. But that's not really going to matter to you when using the app. The important thing to remember is that 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account/vault you have setup in it. So, as long as you still have the Primary vault, its Master Password -- the one you chose when you created it -- will be used to unlock the app. When you remove the Primary vault as Ben mentioned above, from that point on the Master Password of the first 1Password account you are using in the app will unlock it. Does that help?

• Bagsy
    Bagsy
    Community Member

Yes, thanks for the explanation.
    I have synced the Primary vault with iCloud and taken a backup through iTunes and have now deleted it. If I decide not to continue with the 1password membership after the free trial has finished , how do I get all the new passwords I have added to the Personal vault into the Primary vault should I wish to revert to just using the IOS version as before?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bagsy: Let's back up a step. What did you delete exactly? It would be simplest to just go back to using your original vault in iCloud, but I'm worried that you deleted that for some reason.

• Bagsy
    Bagsy
    Community Member

I deleted the primary vault on my iPhone. Prior to deleting it from my iPhone I backed it up to iCloud and also took a backup which I copied to usb via iTunes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bagsy: Great! Then you just need to reinstall 1Password and set it up with the vault in iCloud again and you'll be right back where you started. :)

This discussion has been closed.