To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret key changed?

eluusee
eluusee
Community Member

I was trying to set-up my 1Password as a Firefox add-on and MacOS-app. I'm using 1password for a while now on Chrome and iOS.
Somehow logging in failed on Firefox, as my WiFi was disconnected for a moment. After installing the app on MacOS, logging in failed again. First I tought I somehow forgot my password, but after typing in my password on my iOS app I could log in succesfully there.

When I try to log in on the Mac-app it says the combination of my email and secret key doesn't match. My secret key should start with "A3-L4....". But: when I generate the secret key in my iOS-app, my secret key starts with A3-M6.......

It looks like my secret key has somehow been changed? Is that possible?

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• eluusee
    eluusee
    Community Member

Update: when I use 'Find My Account' it says my secret key should start with 'A3-XV.....'.

Totally confused now. :|

• Hi @eluusee,

As we may need to dig in to some account information in order to better help troubleshoot this issue for you I think it would be best if we moved this conversation to a private email discussion. The forum is a great way to help customers but as all questions and comments are public it isn’t the ideal place to talk about account specifics. Please shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thead:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88957/secret-key-changed#latest

and your forum username:

eluusee

When you do you’ll get an email back from BitBot with a Support ID. Please post that here so that we can ‘connect the dots.’

Thanks!

Ben

• eluusee
    eluusee
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response. I've sent an email.

Cheers!

• Thanks. We’ll be in touch soon.

Ben

ref: LST-59552-885

• Aircheck943
    Aircheck943
    Community Member

All of a sudden, I can't access my account. When I try to login, it tells me that my e-mail, Secret Key and password don't match...but I have not changed anything. In fact, since all of my business and private passwords, account numbers and contacts are in 1Password, I printed out an Emergency Kit last week and put it in our safe deposit box just in case something happened to me. I actually went to the bank today and took a photo of it and it is the same information that I have used for years. When I used the "find my account" link on the website, it sent me an e-mail with the first few digits of a Secret Key that is not even close to what is on my Emergency Kit. I am now paralyzed because I can't get into my account. Can I please speak with someone - a human being - at 1Password? I sent an e-mail and received a generic response about how to find your Secret Key and all of my subsequent requests have gone unanswered.

• Aircheck943
    Aircheck943
    Community Member

I am afraid that my Secret Key has somehow changed which concerns me that my account has been compromised.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Aircheck943: Someone would need all of your credentials in order to sign into your account and change the Secret Key, etc. No one is going to be able to guess the Secret Key. Did you give that information to someone?

Otherwise I wonder if there's just some confusion. 1Password cannot and will not tell you that your Secret Key is incorrect, etc. because it doesn't know. What it will say is that some of your account credentials are incorrect. It doesn't know which one(s), only that something is incorrect since all of your account credentials are used to generate a verifier, which will only match if they're all entered exactly.

Definitely double check your Emergency Kit and make sure you're entering everything exactly. And if you're still having trouble, reach out at support+forum@agilebits.com with the details and a link to this discussion so we can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.