Split off vault to new user?

leukothea
leukothea
Community Member

Hi there! I served as a nonprofit volunteer for the past 2 years, and I created a separate vault in my 1Password for all the various logins and details of the nonprofit. Now it is time to hand over my position to someone new. I would like the organization to buy its own 1Password subscription, and then I would simply export my vault and import it over on their account. What's the best way to do that? I've been searching for "transfer ownership," "export vault," etc., but I'm not sure how to do it.

In case it matters, I currently have a Family account. I don't want to pretend that this nonprofit is my family member... especially since I don't think their vault could then be split off to become their own thing. Or maybe it can??

I also don't want to upgrade my account to Teams, because I won't be on this nonprofit's team in just a few weeks! :P

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leukothea: That is a really tough one. It would be simplest if you are okay with just handing the whole thing over to them. For example, if it's not a problem (let me know if it matters), you could simply upgrade the account to a 1Password Business plan (have them reach out to sales@1password.com so we can work with them to determine if another is a better fit though) from the account's Settings page:

https://start.1password.com/settings

Then give them the account credentials (e.g. the Secret Key and Master Password) and they can change them:

https://start.1password.com/profile

But if you have an active subscription or some other consideration, it may be better to create a new account and move the data over to it by having both signed in in the app. If you're going to continue using 1Password, you very well may want to keep the account you've been using already, after all.

Either way, if there's a question as far as the account itself (billing, ownership) to be discussed, please reach out to us at sales@1password.com so we can work with you on that privately since this is a public forum. Happy to answer any general questions here that don't involve any sensitive information though. Let me know. :)

• leukothea
    leukothea
    Community Member

Thanks for replying!

I definitely need to keep my 1Password account myself! I have over 200 things to manage and it gets bigger all the time; I wouldn't be able to cope with modern life without it.

Sounds like I can create a new account for the nonprofit using the nonprofit's email address. I'm a bit unclear on what to do next -- can I log in to both my existing 1Password and the new nonprofit's 1Password at the same time in order to "move" items? Would I need to export a file somehow?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leukothea: I mean, you could totally create a new account for yourself, but then you'd need to move your own data there anyway. So, not really a win as far as the amount of effort you'd need to invest. It would probably be better overall to have them create a new account for their needs, and then copy the data from yours to that. More thoughts below.

Sounds like I can create a new account for the nonprofit using the nonprofit's email address. I'm a bit unclear on what to do next -- can I log in to both my existing 1Password and the new nonprofit's 1Password at the same time in order to "move" items?

Exactly! You can sign into multiple accounts in the 1Password app, and then copy the data between them (easiest with the desktop app).

Would I need to export a file somehow?

Nope! That's an extra step and less secure. Better to just copy directly from the original account to the new one.

I will say that it might be better to let them create the account and then invite you as a guest temporarily so you can have a way to copy the data over for them. Then you never need to know their new account's credentials or be signed into it on your machine, etc. Maybe that's not necessary in this particular case, but I wanted to mention it in case it helps avoid any awkwardness during the transition. :)

This discussion has been closed.