android upgrade weirdness and auto fill

asukulu
asukulu
Community Member

When i open 1password on my android - oppo A73 it tells me to 'upgrade your data'. When I press upgrade it then says 'already converted' please email support. I also have no idea how to use 1pass with my phone because autofill is greyed out in the filling section. So its kind of useless unless I copy my passwords then paste in a browser login. Its tedious. Please can you explain whats going on? I decided to pay the subscription so i can use across my devices but Im feeling that the cost is not worth it to be honest.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for getting in touch! 1Password 7 requires an upgrade to the data format that you use for Dropbox or Local Storage sync. It is a free upgrade, and the newer format, called OPVault, is faster, more reliable and even more secure. It sounds like when you were performing this upgrade, 1Password found another sync folder already in the OPVault format. It's possible you may have already upgraded to the newer format on another device. Do you use 1Password on any other devices?

As for enabling the Autofill feature, which version of Android is your device running? Autofill is a service provided by the Android system, so this feature requires Android 8 or newer. If you are using an older version of Android, you can enable Accessibility, which will provide a similar filling experience to fill into apps and browsers.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Hi, yes that's correct I did update the vault on another device. So how do I stop my android asking me to update though? I have turned on the feature you mentioned in accessibility and it's now autofilling so that issue is resolved. Thank you

• Which device did you upgrade your data to the OPVault format on? Since the upgrade was done on another device, you’ll need to configure 1Password on your Android device to that OPVault sync folder. This is not possible without reinstalling the app, unfortunately, so we'll need to make sure all of your information is accessible on the device that's already using the OPVault sync folder. Could you confirm if all of your items are available on the other device?

I’m glad to hear Autofill using 1Password's Accessibility service is working.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

I also use an iPad and a PC. I don't remember which one I updated on?? I know I had to scan this code thing.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

The autofill has only worked once out of 5 times so far. So I looked at accessibility and it was turned off again! I didn't turn it off.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

Hello?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: Hi! To clarify, this isn't a private chat room; it's a support forum for all 1Password users...and you're posting around midnight EDT, so I suspect that Saad is sleeping. :)

Did you have a question? I have one: Which of those devices has all the 1Password data you need, the iPad or the PC?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

My vault is in drop box so its on neither

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: I don't follow. You aren't using 1Password on any devices currently? If that's the case, and your vault is in Dropbox, you just need to setup 1Password to use that vault. Dropbox is one of the options during setup, for users with existing data. But I'm not sure that's right. Earlier you said, "I did update the vault on another device". Which one? Presumably that would be the answer to this question as well:

Which of those devices has all the 1Password data you need, the iPad or the PC?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

OK I'm a bit confused. Yes I'm using pasword on 3 devices. IPad, PC and android. The android was setup first with a trial version but I think I was still using the older data file in dropbox. Then when I installed on my new iPad it asked me to update the vault. I presumed the vault is the file that is kept in drop box with all my data on it? I was previously using version 4 on an older iPad but I upgraded to the subscription. So I clicked yes to update the vault and that's when my Android starting having issues

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: Does that mean that you have all of your data in 1Password on your iPad currently?

If so, what is the name of the vault it is stored in there?

Finally, you mentioned having a subscription, but Dropbox isn't at all involved with that. If you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, is all of your data there, in your account?

Please let me know. :)

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Wow im so confused right now. Ive always thought that the file I had on dropbox was shared among different devices. Is this not the case? But Im looking at it right now. It is called 1password.opvault. I dont understand why youre saying dropbox isnt involved when i can see the vault there. What is this vault for then?
    I just signed into 1password.com as you suggested and I can see my defualt vault named personal and yes it has all my items. So can you please clarify for me what this vault is and how is it different to dropbox one? What did I actually do when I upgraded the vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: Thanks for confirming!

Dropbox is not involved with 1Password memberships. If your data is stored in your 1Password membership account, that isn't in Dropbox, and vice versa. They're completely separate things. That's why I'm asking you to confirm where you have the data you want to keep. I'd rather not take any chances. :)

If all of your data is in your 1Password membership account, you can safely delete the vault stored in Dropbox, and simply sign into your 1Password membership account on each device to access your data. If you have already setup 1Password for Android with the Dropbox vault (it sounds like that is the case), uninstall the app, and when you reinstall it sign into your 1Password membership account to set it up instead.

No more sync configuration, license management...or figuring out file formats. ;) Let me know how it goes!

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Thanks for this info but this doesn’t explain why the vault in Dropbox got converted?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: 1Password 7 uses the OPVault format for local vaults exclusively. So if you had an older format it would need to be converted. But again, all of that is irrelevant if you're using a 1Password membership account, and local vaults -- whether sync'd with Dropbox or not at all -- are simply not used in that case.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

I just opened 1password on my desktop and now there are 2 of every password. It says there are 2 vaults also. Im really not getting my head around this. What is a vault specifically?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: A vault is a separate "container" for items in 1Password, like Logins, Secure Notes, etc. It sounds like you've got the old OPVault (probably named Primary) and your 1Password account setup in the app, both with the same data (hence the "duplicates"). Can you check and confirm that?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Says there are 2 vaults. One is named personal and the other is named 'on this pc 1password'. I also have the opvault in dropbox. I just want to clear this up. I just need my 3 devices synced to one vault right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asukulu: Correct. Thanks for confirming. That's why I'm asking this stuff: so we can get you sorted. ;)

The vault that says "On this PC" is your local vault, which is not part of your 1Password membership account. The "Personal" vault is part of your account. That's the one you want to keep. Right-click the "On this PC" vault and Remove it. Then you'll just have your 1Password account setup there going forward, instead of two vaults each with the same data. On any other devices, similarly make sure you only have your 1Password account's "Personal" vault, no additional local vaults:

Set up your 1Password account on other devices

Once you have the same setup on all your devices, you'll have the same data from your account everywhere, and any changes you make on one device will be automatically updated on the others. Any time you need to setup a new device, just use your account credentials to sign in and you're good to go. Just be sure to keep a copy of your Emergency Kit in a secure location in case you ever need it. That way your devices getting lost, stolen, or destroyed will not result in you losing your important data forever. :)

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

ok Thanks. I reinstalled on my phone and then signed into my account. The upgrade issue seems to have gone. Th accessibility keeps turning off though which is tres annoying. What could be causing this? I’m using an oppo A73.

• Hi @asukulu. Usually devices that have built-in optimization or any 3rd party optimization apps will have this problem. Since the accessibility service is resource intensive, it will be turned off in the background by any service trying to conserve resources. Do you have adaptive battery or battery saver turned on, or any 3rd party optimization apps installed on your device?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

These are the only battery settings

• @asukulu This is indeed what I'm referring to. Can you please disable Abnormal Apps Optimization?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

Only in 1passsword or with every app?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member

OK do I did what you said but it still disables itself after a short while

• @asukulu Are you able to exclude 1Password from all of these settings? From the image, it doesn't look like there are advanced settings for these options.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Hi, yes I am able to. I have tried this. Accessibility still will not stay on

• I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104107/android-upgrade-weirdness-and-auto-fill#latest
    • Your forum username: asukulu

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.