Chrome extension not working; tried all the things

susanna
susanna
Community Member

Hi, we have a new-ish user who has never been able to use the Chrome Extension and I just got off a screenshare call with her after trying all the things. She works on a new (in the last year) Macbook Pro. She has the 1Password app for Mac (downloaded last week, though today it offered her an update, and she accepted), the latest version of Chrome, and the Chrome extension. This morning, she restarted her computer twice, closed and restarted Chrome, removed and re-added the extension. And still, when she goes to a site that requires a login, she clicks on the 1Password icon in her Chrome toolbar, and it opens a new tab and says "Looking for the 1Password app."

We are a remote team so it's difficult for me to help her troubleshoot and impossible for me to do anything for her. She is extremely busy in sales work and we just need this to work for her. What do you suggest? Is this a case where someone from 1Password could call her directly?

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @susanna

Without knowing much about her setup it is difficult to guess at what might be wrong. Unfortunately we're not able to offer telephone support. Do you folks use a 1Password membership? If so it may help (at least temporarily) to have her switch to the 1Password X extension, instead of the traditional 1Password desktop browser extension. You can find 1Password X here:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

Ben

• susanna
    susanna
    Community Member

Ben, what is a "membership"? We pay for Business Teams, and there's no clear support or recommendations for her? Is the 1Password X extension something we should all have? What is the difference and is one better than the other? thanks!

• Hi @susanna

1Password Business and 1Password Teams (separate offerings) are both types of 1Password membership, so 1Password X should work. I'd recommend uninstalling the traditional 1Password extension on her computer and installing 1Password X. Please see if that works for her.

and there's no clear support or recommendations for her?

We'd be happy to talk to her directly either through email or this forum, but I hope you understand it can be difficult and more time consuming to troubleshoot an issue through a game of telephone where we relay questions or instructions to you, you relay them to her, she answers you, and then you answer us.

What is the difference and is one better than the other?

1Password X does not require the 1Password for Mac desktop application and the traditional "desktop" browser extension does. They should not both be installed at the same time.

Please let me know if 1Password X works any better for her.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.