Problems with 1Password Safari Extension

squash
squash
Community Member

Hi, I am having problems with the safari extension. I click on the icon but 1password does not open up. I tried disabling the extension but that did not work.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @squash

Could you please try restarting the Mac? We have seen a few reports from customers that had similar issues that restarting after installing the 7.3 update resolved the issue.

Ben

• squash
    squash
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, that worked. Thank you very much for your help.

• You're very welcome. Sorry for the inconvenience! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• dclewis55
    dclewis55
    Community Member

I had the same problem, and nothing fixed it until i restarted my Mac. I hope you fix this in the next release, since restarting affects every open app.

• Thanks @dclewis55. We are looking into the cause now and hope to have it addressed soon.

Ben

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I had and continue to have this issue since updating to 7.3. I have restarted my Mac several times....works for a few times and then just does nothing when I click on it. Also, if I use the icon in the dock it will not open and fill an already saved site. Weird stuff going on......

• Hi there @drummerjg , could you send in a diagnostic report to support+roo@1password.com? You can find the instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Its on the way, MrRooni...thanks!

• Thanks @drummerjg. :)

Ben

ref: WGK-58741-252

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Some additional info on my issue: When the Safari icon stops working if I open the app from the dock the Safari icon will start working as well. Also, if I open a new tab in Safari the browser icon seems to start working again. Its like something on my home page is causing issues. FWIW

• Thanks @drummerjg. I've added that information to the ticket with your diagnostic report.

Ben

• Thanks @drummerjg. We received your email and are working through a problem we've spotted. If you'd like to help us test these fixes when they land you can install the beta of 1Password 7.3.1 from here: 1Password beta for Mac

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Thanks much. I will definitely look at the beta fix!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

I just installed the recent update that rolled out and I still experience the exact same issues. Were they not corrected in this release?
    This is really becoming a nuisance. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@drummerjg:

Are you still on the Beta or are you back on the stable version of 1Password? If you are back on the stable version, this might be normal. From the release notes for the latest 7.3.1 update:

When you install this update you may notice the connection between 1Password and your web browser become unstable. This is a problem we’ve fixed for future updates, but for today your best bet to get things back in working order is to restart your computer. We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I never made it to the beta, so I have been and still am under the stable version. But I still see the same issues, After loading the new release things seemed ok for a day but then the problems returned. I did the re-ipl....no change.

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Can I get an update on the intermittent working of 1Password for Safari? The 7.3.1 rollout did not fix my issue and this is getting beyond annoying. In all the years I have been a 1Password user I have never experienced anything like this. At this point I doubt I would renew my subscription...its that frustrating!!!!

Im running 7.3.1 of 1pass, Safari 12.1.1 and OS 10.14.5

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@drummerjg:

The 7.3.1 rollout did not fix my issue

Indeed, from the release notes I quoted in my previous message you can see that 7.3.1 fixed the issue, but you are going to see the benefit in future versions.

But from what you wrote, I wonder if this is actually a separate issue that you are experiencing. The disconnection should happen only right after you update the 1Password app to the latest version. If the issue is intermittent, there might be some cause of interference in your system.

Do you have any other extensions installed in Safari alongside 1Password? Or perhaps also security software on this device?

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

No security software, but a few extensions, yes. They are: Adblock, Ghostery, TrafficLight. they've ben installed a good while and all worked well prior to the 7.3 release.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@drummerjg:

If those extensions have been updated recently as well, they could be causing some interference. The difficult thing here is that you are not able to consistently reproduce this, and the issue is intermittent. It will be difficult to troubleshoot if this doesn't happen all the time.

One thing I would try is temporarily disabling your other browser extensions and seeing if that helps make things more stable over the next few hours. It might not make a difference, but at least it would allow us to remove one possible cause from the list and focus on what else is left ;)

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Well, I tried disabling the extensions...no joy.I did however start running Chrome & Safari at the same time. The only place I seem to get the problem is under Safari. When I click on the mini icon in Safari and it doesn't work, if I switch to the Chrome browser all is well. Go back to Safari and it still won't work until I open a new tab...then it seems to work. Very bizarre behavior.

• @drummerjg

Admittedly I'm scratching my head here a bit. I can't say I can recall any similar circumstances. As a troubleshooting step one thing we might try is creating a new user account. If you create a new macOS user account on your Mac and sign in to that, then sign into your 1Password account within 1Password for Mac on that account... do you experience the same problem under the new account?

Ben

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

You are not the only one scratching their head, Ben! I will give your suggestion a try and post my findings shortly.

• :+1:

Ben

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Its been a while, but I wanted to post my latest findings. Using the "new user" account did not buy me anything but was a really great idea! What seems to have fixed my issue, believe it or not, was the latest update to OS 10.14.6 Since installing that release I have had no issues at all. Still scratching my head, but all is working as planned...Im happy!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @drummerjg! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drummerjg: I didn't actually even realize it, but a lightbulb went off in my head when you mentioned the macOS update, so I checked: Apple shipped a bug fix update for Safari -- 12.1.2 -- as part of that. We can't take credit for their work, but are happy to benefit from it. :lol:

• Sfaith5125
    Sfaith5125
    Community Member

I maybe having a similar problem, when I install it, I get the play icon and the blue line goes around the circle and then it changes to a cloud. Once that happens it hangs and nothing else happens. Won't show up in the extensions section of the preferences and rebooting doesn't fix it. I am using Safari, I already have it installed on Firefox and works fine.

• Hi @Sfaith5125

It sounds like you're trying to install the 1Password extension by clicking on the "more extensions" option in Safari's preferences. That will only work if you don't already have 1Password installed. With 1Password 7 the Safari extension is not a separate download / installation (and attempting to do so may only worsen the situation). The extension is included with the 1Password 7 app. If you don't see it listed in Safari under Preferences > Extensions then please try the following:

1. Make sure Safari and macOS are up to date
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Reinstall 1Password 7 for Mac from our website (instructions below)

If you need to reinstall...

1. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    2. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    3. Empty the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    6. Open 1Password
    7. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    8. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Ben

This discussion has been closed.