Android App updated; now it wants to update the vault from Agile Keychain format and it won't sync

TurkL
TurkL
Community Member

A while back, I was robotically going through some app updates on Android and after updating 1Password, I later realized I had lost the ability to sync my Android 1Password app with the 1Password6 app on Mac 10.11 (with which I'm pretty happy). Enough time has gone by that a significant set of new passwords aren't available on the mobile and older passwords are out of date. What can I do to get sync back? I confess I'll be pretty unhappy if I unexpectedly found myself in a "severe tire damage, don't back up" situation where the only answer is money. (I have a software background, and I firmly believe developers deserve and need to get paid, but I like to choose when I pay.)

1Password Version: Android v7.0.3, Mac 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6, Android 8.1.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TurkL: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like when you upgraded the vault you forgot to follow the instruction to point your other devices to the new vault, hence they are no longer syncing with each other. If you go to 1Password Settings > Sync you can see the location of the vault in Dropbox, then configure your other devices to sync with that same vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TurkL
    TurkL
    Community Member

Thanks! (Sorry I dropped out on you for a while.) I had actually not followed the instruction to update the format of the vault, because, I'm a chickensµ#†.

But I put on the big boy pants and have done so. The other (non-mobile) application has all the new updates; is the expectation that both devices will both gather up the most up to date changes? I hope so, but document format changes always give me the shivers.

I really appreciate the advice and the help; it's truly world class.

• TurkL
    TurkL
    Community Member

Quick update...now they are definitely out of sync. The mobile app is not picking up a password updated on 1Password 6 Mac this afternoon and it believes there is nothing to sync. 1Password 6 last synced at approximately the time I let the mobile app update the format of the vault and now lists, in the Preferences Sync tab, as the Primary vault option to sync with None (versus the other options in the popup Dropbox, iCloud, and Folder).

Choosing a different option in the popup, say, iCloud (which the mobile app implied would host the new formatted file generates a warning dialog titled "Disabling Sync" and the explanatory "1Password will no longer sync with the folder" with the checkbox option to "Delete data from the folder."

I haven't reset that popup and I could use a little advice before taking any further steps :-).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TurkL: Thanks for the additional details. The key here is that you'll need to have all your devices syncing with the same vault. If they're syncing with the same service, but with different vaults, they won't all have the same data. And if you're not even using the same sync method everywhere, that also won't get you where you're trying to go. For example, iCloud sync isn't possible on Android, so we'll have to rule that out. A 1Password membership would eliminate these complications entirely (you just sign into your account on each device to access the data), but if you're going to stick with paying for each individual version separately and syncing yourself I'd suggest using Dropbox. So if you'll tell me the following:

1. OS and 1Password versions you're using on all the devices you're trying to sync,
    2. which device has all of your 1Password data,
    3. the name of the vault it's in, and
    4. whether you're going to use a membership or standalone,

and then I can give you next steps. Thanks in advance! :)

• TurkL
    TurkL
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Quick update...now they are definitely out of sync. The mobile app is not picking up a password updated on 1Password 6 Mac this afternoon and it believes there is nothing to sync. 1Password 6 last synced at approximately the time I let the mobile app update the format of the vault and now lists, in the Preferences Sync tab, as the Primary vault option to sync with None (versus the other options in the popup Dropbox, iCloud, and Folder).

Choosing a different option in the popup, say, iCloud (which the mobile app implied would host the new formatted file) generates a warning dialog titled "Disabling Sync" and the explanatory "1Password will no longer sync with the folder" with the checkbox option to "Delete data from the folder."

I haven't reset that popup and I could use a little advice before taking any further steps :-).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TurkL: I really need you to give me the information I requested in my last reply.

• TurkL
    TurkL
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks for the followup--for whatever reason, I think I was having browser issues when I last wandered through, leading me to double post inadvertently as well as not notice your May 29 followup, probably due to the window not refreshing.

To answer:

1. OS and 1Password versions you're using on all the devices you're trying to sync,

Mac OS 10.11.6, 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) from AgileBits Store
    Android 8.1.0 (OPSS28.65-36.9), 1Password 7.0.3 (I hadn't intended to jump feature versions on the app, but this might have updated unintentionally after Google Play snuck an auto-update setting on me, or perhaps it updated in a severe tire damage/don't back up situation after Motorola pushed an OS update onto the phone)

No other devices (there's an old iPad 2 around, but I haven't powered it up in a year or two and it isn't relevant)

2. which device has all of your 1Password data,

The Mac has >95% of the updated data; the Android phone has a few updates that I'd be willing to let go if necessary.

3. the name of the vault it's in, and

The Mac has a single vault called "Primary"

Just FYI, the Android App is using a Dropbox sync location /1Password.opvault/

Note also, the Mac's Sync pref pane is currently set to "None" (and says it sync'd six days ago).

4. whether you're going to use a membership or standalone,

Standalone if I can; now isn't a good time to add an expense (which I'm not philosophically opposed to...good software should be paid for).

Thanks so much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TurkL: Ah, thanks for the additional info. That helps a lot. :) As much as I'd like to encourage you to move to a 1Password membership, and would be willing to help you do so, I'll admit that now might not be a great time for you if you're running macOS El Capitan, since you'd need to update your OS first in order to run 1Password 7 there. But if it's something you'd like to explore, shoot us an email at support@1password.com with a link to this discussion and I'll do whatever I can to help. :chuffed:

Regarding the 1Password for Android update, since it wasn't a paid upgrade, it's available to all existing users of that app. So no problem there.

I'm glad to hear that your Mac has most of the data. It's not easy to do with the mobile apps since there isn't a way to sort by "date modified", but if you could manually enter the information that's different on Android into your Mac I think that would save you a fair amount of hassle. That way you could just reinstall the Android app and sync everything from the Mac. Just be sure that you're using OPVault format there already. If not, please generate a diagnostic report on the Mac so I can see how you have things setup there and give you more specific instructions:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#CWB-38494-558]

If you’re reading this and you are not TurkL, this Support ID is for TurkL only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: CWB-38494-558

• TurkL
    TurkL
    Community Member

Hi brenty

I sent the diagnostic report (some weeks ago) and a couple of pings but haven't heard back either here or via email. Did I misstep? (I probably used a different email address than the one associated with this account.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TurkL: Thanks for reaching out again then! I'm a bit confused. I did a search under this email address, and there's nothing. But I was able to find the conversation by using the Support ID I gave you earlier. You had been corresponding with Michael and Saad a couple months ago, and I'm seeing that you replied earlier this week and Michael got back to you about an hour after that. Can you check your spam folder? If you're still not seeing it, I can try to send it again, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't receive it.

• TurkL
    TurkL
    Community Member

Thanks so much @brenty

My account is indeed associated with a y***o address, and I didn't think to look there for a reply. Sorry to spam you guys from a different address! (That other address is what I use for personal correspondence, but in hindsight of course, you'd use the address on file.)

I found Michael's email, and I'll be happy to follow up from the email address on file if needed. Thanks for all the help, and for persistently getting back to me--sorry for the boneheadedness!

• Thanks! It looks like you and Michael are continuing the conversation over email. He should be able to help get everything sorted out!

This discussion has been closed.