Can't share secure notes in one vault

jboren
jboren
Community Member

Greetings,
I've run into a weird issue where I can't share any of the secure notes in one particular vault. When I right-click and choose share, instead of the list of vaults I get on every other vault, I get a search box which does nothing. I can type into it but nothing happens, Enter has no effect. I can't see anything about that vault that is different than others. It appears to be affecting only this one vault. Any idea what is going on?

Thanks!
Joe

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.15.2
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jboren: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to say that this doesn't ring a bell for me, but I bet we can figure it out. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

Thanks for the help. here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

It seems to affect every note in this vault (this vault has nothing but secure notes in it), but I haven't found any other secure notes in any other vaults that show the same behavior. They all show the usual list of other vaults to share with. Super weird. Probably something I've done... ;)

Thanks again for the help!
    Joe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jboren: Likewise, thanks for the screenshot! I think that helps get us on the same page. You've typed "Joe" there in a list of vaults, and unless you have a vault named "Joe", you'll get no results there -- as shown in your screenshot. If you delete that text, you'll be shown a list of all of your vaults to select one to copy/move the item you're right-clicking to. Does that help?

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member

Hey @brenty

Thanks! That wasn't the issue but it got me pointed in the right direction and I discovered that it's a permissions issue on the vault containing the secure notes. Turns out to be this: I'm a member of the Administrators group. The administrator group has "Manager" access to the vault in question. Then my user was added to the vault individually, with read-only access. For some reason, I thought the Manager role had more permissions than it does, and that it would override the individual read-only setting. Unless I'm still confused it looks like the Manager role only has permission to manage vaults but doesn't have permissions to the items within. So it makes sense that I can't share it because I only have read access.

Thanks again for the push in the right direction!

Best,
    Joe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jboren: Ahh that makes sense. Indeed, if you don't have the proper permissions in the vault, it won't be able to copy/move to or from it, depending on how it's setup for you. You're right on. I'm glad you checked your permissions, and appreciate the update!

In case it helps someone else, "Manage" permission for a vault allows you to invite others, etc., but read/write/view/etc. are each separate granular permissions:

Vault permissions

The "Manage" permission allows an Owner to delegate the ability to revoke access to the vault, change permissions for others, and delete the vault without having to give that person access to all of its data. :)

This discussion has been closed.