Hello. I can\t seem to sync between my Mac and new PC

I'm a longtime 1Password user on my Apple products. I just replaced my Mac desktop with a new PC (Windows 10). I've installed 1Password, but I can't seem to be able to sync my logins. I tried syncing via Dropbox, but it's asking for a Vault password. I enter the password I use to open 1Password, but it is not accepted. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
B

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Syncing between Mac and PC

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrianG61,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry to hear you have troubles with syncing your data.

First of all, could you please tell me if you have access to your data in 1Password on any other devices now? If you replaced your Mac, do you have any iOS devices, where you use 1Password? If you used only one vault in 1Password previously and never changed your Master Password, it is quite strange that your password doesn't work now. We will need to investigate, so please let us know about other devices and we will work from there. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• BrianG61
    BrianG61
    Community Member

Greg,

I did manage to get it to sync with Dropbox. I'd rather sync via wifi, but I'm still having trouble with that. Also, the windows desktop, and browser versions I just installed, are telling me they are Read Only? Why is that? I've always been able to edit my Mac versions on either my desktop or mobile devices. As far as I can remember, I never bought any kind of plan. I believe it's a stand alone license.

• It sounds like you've probably only purchased licenses for 1Password on your Apple devices, @BrianG61. Depending on what version of 1Password for Mac you're using, when you purchased it, and whether you purchased through us or the Mac App Store, it's possible that your purchase would have included 1Password 4 for Windows, but 1Password 7 for Windows is a paid upgrade from 1Password 4 and wouldn't have been included with any long-ago purchases. Regardless, if you haven't added a license on Windows, that's why you're seeing it's read-only. There's a limit to what I can dig up about prior purchases on the forum, but if you're not sure what you bought before, we can absolutely move over to e-mail and do some more digging, just let me know. :+1:

As for syncing, WLAN sync is not available in 1Password 7. We built 1Password 7 from the ground up and had to make some judgment calls about features that weren't used by as many folks but took substantial development resources to implement. We know that there are some folks who are really passionate about WLAN sync, but everything we know points to that group being relatively small, so we decided to forgo WLAN sync. This means Dropbox is likely to be your best bet here with a standalone vault.

With that said, it sounds like you have managed to sync up and the remaining issue is the license discussed above. If you're averse to Dropbox and at all interested in upgrading to 1Password 7 across your devices, you might consider moving to a 1Password membership. This is a monthly or annual subscription that includes the 1Password apps across all of your devices – both those you have now and those you may acquire later, no matter the number – as well as future upgrades for those apps. It also includes our sync service where we handle syncing and backups for you. You can learn more about 1Password membership here, if you'd like. Of course, standalone licenses for 1Password 7 (both on Mac and PC) are still available, if that's your preference. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.