Print via File menu vs via Share button

artemsyd
artemsyd
Community Member

If I click Share button and Print an item from there,

then 1Password will just print the item without asking for the Master Password.

But if I click File menu and Print from there,

then 1Password will require to enter the Master Password.

Is it by design?

1Password 7.3 (70300020)

Comments

• Hi @artemsyd

Thanks for reporting this. I suspect we should probably be consistent about the Master Password, one way or the other. I'll make that suggestion to the team. File > Print is working as intended regarding the scope of the print job. :+1:

Ben

• I think you've raised some good points and some reasonable questions, but before we go much further... we typically recommend against printing 1Password data. The type of information stored in 1Password tends to be fairly dynamic which means frequent printing is required in order to keep a paper copy up to date. In addition strings of text stored can be quite long (e.g. URLs, long passwords). It just isn't very efficient. Some folks seem to think that a paper copy is going to be a good backup solution, but can you imagine actually restoring your data from scratch that way? I don't know about you but I've got over 1000 items. My fingers would bleed before I got everything typed back in, not to mention the time that would be required to do that. I don't know of any upcoming changes in this regard but I really wouldn't be surprised if future versions of 1Password did not support printing at all, and as such I'll be surprised if it gets much development attention now.

If your intention is to use paper as a backup I'd strongly suggest that you reconsider, and instead think about a digital backup strategy:

1Password backups

I'm happy to file issues regarding the inconsistent behavior, but before we get too far here I wanted to be sure to make the point.

Ben

• It is perfectly clear and I agree with you that it's rarely a good idea to print data from 1Password (or any other secured storage).

I'm glad we're on the same page. :)

And in general, it just seemed to me that something is wrong with the printing feature, so I decided to report it here.

I don't think you're wrong, and as such have filed the two issues we discussed. :)

But in my case it's not for backup purposes, we just need to share a couple of passwords with certain personnel and some colleagues, and printing feature of 1Password comes in handy for this. The idea is for their manager to have a paper folder with passwords/PINs and provide those to his people when needed.

We don't have Business subscription yet :) so that's our current workaround. And also they only need like 1% of our passwords, so there is no much point for them to have 1Password licenses.

Gotcha. I do think 1Password Business would be a better solution. These folks who only need a handful of passwords could potentially be invited as guests:

Share with guests in your team

But either way, yes, hopefully as long as we're keeping printing around we can get these issues addressed. Thanks for reporting them!

Ben

• @artemsyd

One other thing: how did you get into a state where no items are selected? I'm having trouble finding a way to do that, and as such am having trouble reproducing the one issue.

Ben

• Ah, perfect. Thank you. :)

Ben

• But yet again it's a cloud/subscription-based solution, and we are still on "offline" version with perpetual licenses.

I'm sure our business team would be happy to discuss whatever the holdup there is. :) business@1password.com

Ben

This discussion has been closed.