1Password 7 cannot be open during installation - Mac App store update fails

K447
K447
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

"1Password 7" cannot be open during installation' dialog appears.

Mac App Store shows an available update for 1Password 7, but the update fails after clicking Continue, which is supposed to close the app and do the update.

What actually happans is the Mac spinner appears for a while and then the same prompt reappears - click Continue to close the app and update. This happens endlessly until I cancel the update.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65) on 15 inch MacBook Pro Late 2016

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Version 7.0.4 (70004000)
Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@K447 please try quitting 1Password 7 completely by pressing control + option + command + Q and then trying again to update. It should then work.

Edit: added @.

Stephen

• K447
    K447
    Community Member

Thank you. That appears to have worked. Update now installed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @K447! Glad @Stephen_C's advice worked for you. Let us know if you have any other questions/issues.

• The_Ricky
    The_Ricky
    Community Member

"control + option + command + Q" also worked for me. Thank you @Stephen_C

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@The_Ricky - glad to hear it! :) :+1:

• AirKevin
    AirKevin
    Community Member

This did not work for me. I tried a restart, and tried to update with only the app store open (no browser). Still no luck. 7.0.7

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AirKevin - it sounds as if you may not have followed @Stephen_C's suggestions exactly. Restarting the computer won't help you if you have 1Password set to open at login. You need to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Then try once more. Let us know how that goes! :)

One other note: I couldn't be sure from just what you wrote, but if you're already on version 7.0.7 from the Mac App Store, then there's nothing else to upgrade to -- or there shouldn't be. Is 7.0.7 what you have, or what you're trying to upgrade to?

• Terry Cole
    Terry Cole
    Community Member

I have attempted to shut 1Password down, restarted my Mac and uninstalled it. The application will still not install and now I do not have access to 1password.

1Password Version: latest before today's mac store update
    Extension Version: latest before today's mac store update
    OS Version: Mojave, latest beta
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:I attempted to install the update from Mac store, but getting response must be shut down

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Terry Cole - sorry for the trouble. Did you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before trying any of this? Or did you just use ⌘Q? If the latter, that may explain at least some of the problems. Can you tell me what the state of things is right now? You tried to uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac? And what happened? You're unable both to install and to uninstall?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

another way to quit is to select "Quit 1Password Completely" from the gear icon in the mini app. I find this easier as then I do not have to remember which keys to press alongside "cmd Q"

• :+1: :)

We plan to have this fixed in v7.2. So you’ll still need to do this to install the v7.2 update when it becomes available but subsequent updates should install without “quitting completely.”

Ben

• @JamesHenderson,

You can also option click on the menubar icon to get there slightly quicker.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@rudy good tip - thanks!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson - that's one of those you wouldn't know unless you looked it up or were told, but it's very useful in certain situations. Glad it helped! :)

• heinzelg
    heinzelg
    Community Member

Thank you James Henderson, that worked for me. That was highly frustrating!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

pleasure! :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Fabrice_B
    Fabrice_B
    Community Member

"control + option + command + Q" worked as well for me. Thank you @Stephen_C. It is always satisfying to get forum suggestions which you can successfully apply and solve a problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Fabrice_B - glad to hear you're all set; let us know if you have any other questions or issues. :)

• squatch
    squatch
    Community Member

Just updated from 7.0.7 to 7.2.4 -- looking forward to this bug fix so very much. Thank you to the wonderful folks at AgileBits!

• You're very welcome! Should be smooth sailing in this regard going forward.

Ben

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member

There was an update available today ((Version 7.3 (70300019) on May 31, 2019)). When I went to update via the Mac App Store, I received the message "1Password 7 cannot be open during installation." Even when I shutdown 1Password and went to continue the update, I would get the same message. I restarted my Mac and received the same message. The only way I could get the update to complete was to FORCE QUIT the App Store application, startup 1Password, then do the CONTROL + OPTION + COMMAND + Q against 1Password as recommended above, then restart the update via the Mac App Store which then successfully completed.
    I have done at least two updates of 1Password 7 previously and did not encounter this issue, so what was different this time? In the previous updates I would just do a normal shutdown of 1Password and the update would continue as normal. Also, why the need for the CONTROL + OPTION + COMMAND + Q, and would this be the necessary SOP for 1Password updates going forward? Thanks guys.

• Hi @rossj00000

Do you know which version of 1Password it is that you had installed prior to installing v7.3? There was an issue in versions prior to v7.2 which required the steps you outlined, but since 7.2 that should no longer be necessary.

Ben

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member

Sorry Ben, I do not know which release of 1Password 7 was already installed as I’d never had any update issues previously so no reason to check. All I can say is that I was current with what release was previously available through the Mac App Store as I apply updates whenever they go into production, so at the minimum I was at 7.2. Before the next update I will ensure that I take note of the release I am at before applying the update.
    Maybe I should have done an “apply check”; an IBM mainframe method of verifying software before updating. :D

Ross

• Never had the pleasure of working on mainframes. Would love to get the opportunity to tour that environment at some point. In any event, hopefully future updates will go more smoothly, but please let us know if that is not the case.

Ben

• milyrouge
    milyrouge
    Community Member

Just in case this is of use to the dev team: I've just had the same issue crop up with the update to 7.3.1. I'm also updating using the App Store, so should have been on the latest version before 7.3.1 (I didn't check what that was, either, however), so the issue still seems to be cropping up past 7.2.

That said, the ctrl+opt+cmd+Q solution worked without problems so beyond having to do a quick search to find this page, there was no real hassle for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @milyrouge! Thanks for letting us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.