AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• dmayo2
    dmayo2
    Community Member
    Options

I think that during UI development, three user-cases should be kept in mind (basic user, normal, and power). Then just count clicks to get to common end-points. If more clicks needed, something's wrong, as 1P, in my opinion is to help make using passwords easier (for all three users types). I'm experiencing more clicks to achieve the same end result in this new mini (as a power user). Thanks for listening.

A suggestion is to at least order the left-side column by most used. For us power users with 5+ user-ids/passwords for a site (AWS for example), I may have 10 different clients, and they will all be listed in the left column. However, I'm not working on all 10 equally at the same time, so if 1P knew that I was working on client9 a lot, that would float to the top of the left column. When I started working more on client6, sure the first couple of times I'd have to scroll to find it, but then it would start to float to the top (and this behavior could be an option in Settings, as could keeping it alpha, etc).

I'll also echo the desire to get the Suggestions dropdown to open on whatever we choose (like favorites) (would probably need some tweaks rather than just showing favs -- like some type of ordering of favs, etc).

• Ben
    Options

A suggestion is to at least order the left-side column by most used. For us power users with 5+ user-ids/passwords for a site (AWS for example), I may have 10 different clients, and they will all be listed in the left column. However, I'm not working on all 10 equally at the same time, so if 1P knew that I was working on client9 a lot, that would float to the top of the left column. When I started working more on client6, sure the first couple of times I'd have to scroll to find it, but then it would start to float to the top (and this behavior could be an option in Settings, as could keeping it alpha, etc).

This could currently be achieved by having a separate vault for each client, and then switching to the vault of the client you're currently working for. :+1:

I'll also echo the desire to get the Suggestions dropdown to open on whatever we choose (like favorites) (would probably need some tweaks rather than just showing favs -- like some type of ordering of favs, etc).

Ben

• dmayo2
    dmayo2
    Community Member
    Options

@ben Thanks for the multi vault suggestion. I'll have to give it a try and see if it adds/reduces clicks to my workflow compared to having the most used logins bubbling to the top.

• Ben
    Options

The first 9 vaults come with keyboard shortcuts, so it should be very quick to switch between them.

⌘ 0 (command zero) will give you the "All Vaults" view. ⌘ 1 - 9 will give you the first nine vaults.

Ben

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

Let me see if I can show you a picture of exactly what I mean. Sorry, not working.

I am desperately trying to click on INSERT AN IMAGE, but nothing is happening. I do not know why. I was expecting to see a file save dialog box, but that is not happening. I am on Firefox Nightly, so I haven't tried inserting an image in a forum message using Safari or Chrome.

Meanwhile, allow me to describe the picture I wanted to post. There is no Save & Copy button, only Autofill, and + Password above it.

The suggested login for Agile Bits does show as the first entry in my suggested saved password for this site. But below that are my various identities and various credit cards. Why are you showing them underneath my correct login, of which I only have one?

What I mean about showing more than just logins is you will also show me software serial numbers, contracts, and memberships, secure notes, etc. even if they are unrelated to the Agile Bits forum I am trying to log into. In the old version, if I clicked on a category like Identities, I received a pop-up box of my saved identies. Same for credit cards. Now we are no longer at the category level but deep into the individual records of stored passwords. Now I must scroll.

You moved the copy and reveal dropdowns all the way to the right when they used to be closer to the hidden password.

Then I want to edit an entry and move it to the trash. The individual entry did not stay floating on top of the master pop-up, the master pop-up disappeared and only the single entry I wanted to move to the trash remained on screen. So as soon as I approved the move, while it was showing me the restore button, the only other option was to close the window of the individual entry I was editing. I now must re-invoke the master 1Password pop-up. The old version floated an individual entry on top of the master pop-up, which never disappeared until I was finished using it.

In the old version, the suggested login appeared above the list of categories. If I want the category list in the new version, it is now an extra mouse click to get it. Every time I want it. There is no preference to choose just the suggested login(s))

There is also a fraction of a second delay between when I click on iPassword in the menu bar and when the pop-up appears. It used to be instantaneous. There was no delay.

What I meat about 1Password X was that it could not be invoked without pressing CMD + Period and entering my 1Password password. The workaround was to extend the time iPassword X stays open and available. What I would like to see, although it may not be possible, is after I invoke iPassword X with CMD + Period the first time, instead of typing in my credentials to iPassword every time (because I cannot use iPassword X to enter my iPassword password. It hasn't been invoked yet, It is still locked. I of course can use 1Password to retrieve my 1Password X password.) I'd like to avoid the typing and use my fingerprint on the touch bar. Just the same way 1Password works. And instead of pressing two keys using two different fingers on two different hands, I'd simply like to invoke 1Password X by clicking on the logo bug at the far right of the field I am attempting to log into, typically a user name or e-mail.

What I'd like to do is avoid leaving 1 Password X open for extended periods to avoid the need to invoke it every time I want to use it because of the two key entry and the need to type my iPassword credentials. Which if I am going to use my 1Password password, I must search for it, because I am not on the 1Pasword site while I am trying to use 1Password X on a site that is not the 1Password site.

I want it to be ONE CLICK on the logo and tap my finger on the touch bar sensor. Super fast. Click, tap, I'm logged in to iPassword X.

These descriptions are what I mean when I use the word clunky. The opposite of which is smooth and flowing. I thought the previous version had a better flow than the new version.

• SaminAK
    SaminAK
    Community Member
    Options

I have to agree that this upgrade is a loser. What I could previously do with a single click now takes 2 or 3. This is the first upgrade to 1Password (I've been a user for at least 10 years) where the workflow was not quick and intuitive. The mini window opens with Suggestions and I have yet to find a suggestion that was what I needed. There is a reason we create Favorites lists....it's because those are the sites we go to most and it make no sense that Favorites is not the default view.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SaminAK: It's not possible for me to offer anything in the way of suggestions to you or feedback to the team without any details regarding the other things you allude to, but in 7.3.1 you'll be able to set Favorites as the default view when opening mini.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FogCityNative: Sorry I missed your comments earlier! Thanks for elaborating.

I am desperately trying to click on INSERT AN IMAGE, but nothing is happening. I do not know why. I was expecting to see a file save dialog box, but that is not happening. I am on Firefox Nightly, so I haven't tried inserting an image in a forum message using Safari or Chrome.

It works in all browsers here. You should be able to either use the buttons above the comment box:

Or drag the image directly to the comment box and it will upload it. If you have other software/extensions which are interfering your mileage may vary though.

The suggested login for Agile Bits does show as the first entry in my suggested saved password for this site. But below that are my various identities and various credit cards. Why are you showing them underneath my correct login, of which I only have one?

1Password's function in the browser is to allow you to fill Login items, but also Identities and Credit Cards. I'm glad to hear that you're being offered the Login item matching the website first. That's as it should be, and very much by design. Also, if you press ⌘ \ on a login page for which you only have a single Login/Password item saved, 1Password should just fill it without showing anything. If you have any trouble with that, let me know.

Now I must scroll.

Not so. You can start typing at any time in 1Password mini to search and narrow the list further -- no scrolling necessary. :)

You moved the copy and reveal dropdowns all the way to the right when they used to be closer to the hidden password.

Since you're not reading the password anyway -- you're going to copy or reveal it -- the button/menu doesn't need to be "near" the password (which you can't see anyway). But the whole field row horizontally can be clicked anywhere to copy, or you can simply press ⌘ ⇧ C to copy the password field of the currently selected item. And, as always, holding down the Option key will reveal the password at any time.

Then I want to edit an entry and move it to the trash. The individual entry did not stay floating on top of the master pop-up, the master pop-up disappeared and only the single entry I wanted to move to the trash remained on screen. So as soon as I approved the move, while it was showing me the restore button, the only other option was to close the window of the individual entry I was editing. I now must re-invoke the master 1Password pop-up. The old version floated an individual entry on top of the master pop-up, which never disappeared until I was finished using it.

I don't follow you here. But you can delete an item from mini by clicking "Edit", and then scrolling down to click "Move to Trash" at the bottom.

In the old version, the suggested login appeared above the list of categories. If I want the category list in the new version, it is now an extra mouse click to get it. Every time I want it. There is no preference to choose just the suggested login(s))

But then you're scrolling again! You can actually press ⌘ ↓ when you open mini to open the menu with the category list...but you'll find things faster just by typing when you open mini instead, since 1Password will do a search immediately.

There is also a fraction of a second delay between when I click on iPassword in the menu bar and when the pop-up appears. It used to be instantaneous. There was no delay.

It really depends on a lot of factors, especially your system and what you have going on. But you're right, the new mini is slightly slower than the old one. Part of that is it's doing much more behind the scenes to make suggestions and search better, but part of it is it's just new and not perfectly optimized. We'll continue to make it more efficient as we develop updates to it, as this is it's first release. Thanks for the feedback!

What I meat about 1Password X was that it could not be invoked without pressing CMD + Period and entering my 1Password password. The workaround was to extend the time iPassword X stays open and available. What I would like to see, although it may not be possible, is after I invoke iPassword X with CMD + Period the first time, instead of typing in my credentials to iPassword every time (because I cannot use iPassword X to enter my iPassword password. It hasn't been invoked yet, It is still locked. I of course can use 1Password to retrieve my 1Password X password.) I'd like to avoid the typing and use my fingerprint on the touch bar. Just the same way 1Password works. And instead of pressing two keys using two different fingers on two different hands, I'd simply like to invoke 1Password X by clicking on the logo bug at the far right of the field I am attempting to log into, typically a user name or e-mail.

Thanks for explaining! 1Password X was created first and foremost to have nothing to do with other versions of 1Password , intentionally, so that it can be used in situations where people cannot use a native app -- like Chromebooks, Linux, restricted company computers, etc. So that's our priority: it runs entirely on its own in the browser. Therefore it does not have a connection to the desktop app to share settings or locking. We already have an extension for that, after all:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

But recently we're working on making it so that 1Password X can optionally connect to 1Password for Mac. That's currently in beta. So I suspect that you'll be able to use 1Password X the way you describe too eventually. :)

What I'd like to do is avoid leaving 1 Password X open for extended periods to avoid the need to invoke it every time I want to use it because of the two key entry and the need to type my iPassword credentials. Which if I am going to use my 1Password password, I must search for it, because I am not on the 1Pasword site while I am trying to use 1Password X on a site that is not the 1Password site.

I don't understand your comments here.

I want it to be ONE CLICK on the logo and tap my finger on the touch bar sensor. Super fast. Click, tap, I'm logged in to iPassword X.

That will be possible with 1Password X + 1Password for Mac once that project is complete. In the mean time, you can use the 1Password desktop extension for Touch ID support, as that integrates with the Mac app:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

These descriptions are what I mean when I use the word clunky. The opposite of which is smooth and flowing. I thought the previous version had a better flow than the new version.

Thank you so much for the additional details! We are not going to change things back to the way they were, and we may not do everything the way you think we should, but we've already made a lot of improvements in the beta just since the new mini was released in 7.3, and we'll keep at it. :)

• SaminAK
    SaminAK
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try for specifics...but with the old version gone it's hard to recreate how it worked. I just know if was intuitive and efficient.

I could open Mini and with a single click on one of my favorites it would navigate to the website, fill in ID and PW and Enter. Done. Now I click on Suggestions, click on favorites, double click on the selection I want then once the ID and PW are filled in, click on Login on the webpage. Thats 500% increase in the number of clicks.

The new Mini opens noticeably slower. Sometimes I find myself clicking on the icon again because I'm thinking I missed it the first time. Also in the past I would open a new window and while the default web page was loading I could click on the Mini icon and it would open and I could fill in PW while the page in the background loaded. Now it won't open until the page has finished loading.

The Suggestions are now intrusive. Before I could ignore them which was good because they never were what I needed. That at least hasn't changed.

This is the first time I've bothered to log into a 1Password forum to complain, so take that as a measure of user dissatisfaction.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SaminAK: Thanks! As I mentioned above, we're adding the ability to set Favorites as the default. It sounds like that will help your use case -- perhaps to the tune of 500%. ;)

I hear you about performance. It varies widely depending on the machine, but the new mini is doing more and isn't yet optimized. I think it makes sense to make tweaks for things like you and others have mentioned first. We'll make it more efficient in updates. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• dentarg
    dentarg
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

As with any sort of design change there will be folks who love it, folks who hate it, and the majority will likely fall somewhere in the middle (and many who will migrate there after using it a while and becoming more accustom to it).

Yeah, of course many will migrate there, what option do we have? It is not like you left the old UI in there, for us to revert to.

That said, we certainly do want to be sure that 1Password Mini is actually accomplishing its goal of presenting the most relevant information as quickly as possible.

You say this, but then you did not comment on any of the relevant comments from @breslow: search displaying less results at a time than before and categories hidden under a drop down.

This discussion has been closed.