AutoFill Safari Extension doesn't work anymore (update 7.3)

Hello,
Since the 1p update to 7.3 my safari extensions aren't working anymore.
I can see the buttons, but when I click on them, nothing happens. I can see the 'click' but the window for autofill does not open.
Safari-Version 12.1.1 (14607.2.6.1.1).
Mojave 10.14.5.

Already restarted the Mac twice. Doesn't help. Already tried all tips from the website.
In addition, the made backups are shown in the folder, but in the preference menu it just shows three backups from 2017! Any ideas about it?

This happens nearly every update what is kind of annoying and bad, paying this much every year!! I am using 1p since 10 years and the bugs seem to pop up more often. Not nice.

Hope there is a fast fix :)
Thanks a lot.
Yvonne

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1p

Comments

• timphil82
    timphil82
    Community Member

I'm going to add my case to Yvonne's. I am having the same problem. Both the 1Password 7.3 mini and Safari extension does not work, neither does autofill (CMD-). I've uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled Mac App Store version and website version, both have this issue. I'm definitely looking forward to this fix.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Yvonne1988 & @timphil82,

Can you try the following for me please and let me know if you see any improvement.

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option ⌥ key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Drag the 1Password Application bundle from /Applications/ to the Trash.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Download and install a fresh copy of 1Password.
    5. Launch 1Password and unlock.
    6. Launch Safari and enter Safari's preferences, switching to the Extensions tab.
    7. Confirm the 1Password extension is present, is displaying version 7.3 and that the extension is enabled (the checkbox in the lefthand sidebar).
    8. Test to see if the extension is working.

@timphil82, I see you've already tried a fresh copy of 1Password but I'd like you to try the above anyway as sometimes the restart of the Mac as part of the steps can have a positive impact.

If you're still having trouble after this I think we'll need to review a diagnostic report. Can you create and send one in please, this link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@1password.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you can post that ticket ID here it will help us locate your diagnostic report and we'll see what it reveals.

• dbriones
    dbriones
    Community Member

Hello, just wanted to note that I was in the same situation as @Yvonne1988 and @timphil82; I tried the steps above and it fixed this issue. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dbriones,

I'm glad that helped get things working again, hopefully it helps others too. Now we just need to learn why so many people had a bad update and make sure it doesn't happen again.

• LRSF-SA
    LRSF-SA
    Community Member

Good day. Thank you for your assistance. A further note... I had the same problem after install and then began the steps above. I stopped after step 1 and then relaunched 1Password. Everything thing is working without having to re-install or reboot. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear that helped. Cheers! :)

• msthebaron
    msthebaron
    Community Member

Heya. I found this, and have had the same problem. I've been going nuts for the last 2 weeks and I finally was determined that I would get it going again if I had to reformat the whole machine. Yes, working 1P is that important to me :-D

So, I first opened safari prefs and unchecked the plugin to disable it.

That let me access the 1p app from the system menubar instead of just doing nothing when i click.

I clicked the gear and said Quit 1Password completely.

I threw 1Password.app in the trash. The minute I did that, safari the plugin disappeared from the list.

I went to the app store and downloaded it again and clicked "open". The plugin reappeared.

Went to Safari and re-checked the plugin.

But this time, the menu worked still.

Now autofill and stuff works. Amazing!

TBH this has the smell of Apple's fancy-dancy "security and privacy" efforts it keeps trying to advance and not 1P (tho it could be, I'm no expert, I just have a weird feeling about this stuff). I've had so many stupid things that just randomly stop working right lately. World of Warcraft keeps losing its "don't pass system keys to the os and have expose run every time you hit f3" ... even tho it's given the appropriate privileges... it just.... flakes. I bet some recent Mojave patch detects when there's an update to an app or file and unauthorizes something somewhere... Perhaps, there's some sort of key pair that gets re-generated on update that breaks perms in some under-the-hood way that the ui doesn't realize/see ... I have no idea, but it's downright irritating.

I hope this solves the problems for you.

• msthebaron
    msthebaron
    Community Member

Heya. I found this, and have had the same problem. I've been going nuts for the last 2 weeks and I finally was determined that I would get it going again if I had to reformat the whole machine. Yes, working 1P is that important to me :-D

So, I first opened safari prefs and unchecked the plugin to disable it.

That let me access the 1p app from the system menubar instead of just doing nothing when i click.

I clicked the gear and said Quit 1Password completely.

I threw 1Password.app in the trash. The minute I did that, safari the plugin disappeared from the list.

I went to the app store and downloaded it again and clicked "open". The plugin reappeared.

Went to Safari and re-checked the plugin.

But this time, the menu worked still.

Now autofill and stuff works. Amazing!

TBH this has the smell of Apple's fancy-dancy "security and privacy" efforts it keeps trying to advance and not 1P (tho it could be, I'm no expert, I just have a weird feeling about this stuff). I've had so many stupid things that just randomly stop working right lately. World of Warcraft keeps losing its "don't pass system keys to the os and have expose run every time you hit f3" ... even tho it's given the appropriate privileges... it just.... flakes. I bet some recent Mojave patch detects when there's an update to an app or file and unauthorizes something somewhere... Perhaps, there's some sort of key pair that gets re-generated on update that breaks perms in some under-the-hood way that the ui doesn't realize/see ... I have no idea, but it's downright irritating.

I hope this solves the problems for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I haven't seen a lot of issues with this, but certainly it comes up. I didn't actually realize until today that one could have the website version of 1Password installed and Safari would still suggest installing it from the App Store in that case, overwriting the running app. A bit confusing.

Safari App Extensions are still relatively new and evolving, so some growing pains are not entirely surprising. Personally I am okay with being patient while all of this gets smoothed out because of the security benefits, but I understand completely that dealing with unexpected behaviour like this is not fun at all. Thanks for sharing your experience! We'll continue to evolve 1Password's Safari integration -- and work with Apple -- as the frameworks evolve as well. Cheers! :)

• andreandrea
    andreandrea
    Community Member

Hi,

I have the same issue.
    I've just got a MacBook in plain state (completely reset) and update it to the last MacOs.
    I then downloaded the 1Password app from the App Store and activated the Safari extension.

At first the extension was opening suggesting the account info for the website I was in but not autofilling.
    I just tried to go through those steps (quit, delete, restart, reinstall) but seems nothing changed :(

Anything else I can try?
    Everything (MacOS, 1P app, Safari) seem to be up to date.
    I'm also 'ok' with waiting for this to get investigated and fixed as long as I know is something that is happening relatively soon.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andreandrea: Can you let me know the specifics?

1. Which macOS version are you using?
    2. Which 1Password version are you using?
    3. Which Safari version are you using?
    4. Which 1Password extension version do you have in Safari?

Thanks in advance! :)

• andreandrea
    andreandrea
    Community Member

Hey, thanks for helping! Sure:

Which macOS version are you using? Mojave 10.14.5
    Which 1Password version are you using? 7.3 (70300019)
    Which Safari version are you using? 12.1.1
    Which 1Password extension version do you have in Safari? 7.3

Everything has been just updated and installed from scratch (MacOS included).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andreandrea: Thanks for letting me know! Please do the following:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Control Option Q
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    6. Open Safari and try using 1Password there

Let me know what happens if you click the 1Password toolbar button, or you use the keyboard shortcut -- Command Option \

• andreandrea
    andreandrea
    Community Member

Hey @brenty thanks for getting back to me.
    I just tried following your steps, but the issue is still there: 1Password panel opens up when click on the Safari extension or using the cmnd+\ shortcut but then when I select a login to autofill the input fields in the page I'm in nothing happens. The 1Password panel just closes and the input fields are still empty. I have to manually copy each field and paste it myself.

Just a note: this time when I reinstalled 1Password, it didn't ask me to add a vault, all my data was already there after the new installation.

If this can't be solved now I'd rather go back and use the 1Password from the App Store. If you think that's fine, can you tell me how to uninstall this package version?
    Also, of course let me know if you have any other idea or you think this will be fixed any time soon, is pretty annoying and defeat the whole purpose of using 1P on my laptop :(

• andreandrea
    andreandrea
    Community Member

@brenty I also just noticed all the items in my vault (local vault sync'd with iCloud) are in "Read-Only" mode.
    I don't know why is that, but that also is another issue I have, maybe part of a same bigger problem?

I just had my macbook fixed and technically this is a new computer, not sure if this could have something to do with it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@andreandrea

I also just noticed all the items in my vault (local vault sync'd with iCloud) are in "Read-Only" mode.

That's going to be your issue right there -- or at least some of it, if not all. 1Password 7 for Mac is a paid upgrade from past versions, and without either a standalone license or a 1password.com membership, your data will be in read-only mode and you won't be able to use the browser extensions to fill or save data. If you originally purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store prior to the release of version 7, you'll likely have enjoyed at least one free upgrade in the past, but what appears to have happened here is that instead of visiting your purchase history in the Mac App Store, you just went to the main page for 1Password for Mac -- which is now version 7 -- and downloaded/installed that.

If you're using standalone data in 1Password for Mac and would like to keep it that way, you'll need to fully quit 1Password and delete it, then download the version from our downloads page. On that version, you'll get the ability to purchase a standalone license when you click the Read Only badge on any of your items:

Having said that, we'd strongly recommend you consider a 1password.com membership, for multiple reasons. You can get a 30-day trial membership by clicking the big green button in the above image instead of the standalone license link. Let us know if you have questions! :)

• andreandrea
    andreandrea
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars! Yeah I found that out now as well. Earlier I didn't notice the items were all read-only and thought my license was automatically activated since I could access my data. Not the case I guess :)

So version 6 is no longer supported and to use version 7 you can only do so with a subscription?

Also, how do I uninstall the 1Password7 package? I'd rather try to go back to the 6 for now or anyways use the 7 from the App Store.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@andreandrea

So version 6 is no longer supported and to use version 7 you can only do so with a subscription?

No and no. Version 6 will still work in most ways, but it has been in legacy mode for a while now and will thus not be receiving further development attention, new features or compatibility/stability fixes. However, you can remove the current 1Password 7 for Mac from your Mac, then open the purchase history in the Mac App Store, locate the older app (it will just say 1Password, not 1Password 7), and install that from there.

We don't recommend doing that, since as a security company our recommendation is to keep all your critical software up-to-date, and that includes macOS, your browser(s) and 1Password for Mac. If you upgrade, however, as I mentioned and posted a screenshot of in my earlier post, you can indeed purchase a standalone license if you are using the version of 1Password 7 for Mac from us (not the Mac App Store version).

To uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac, do this:

1. Quit Safari.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete 1Password. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the trash.
  • andreandrea
    andreandrea
    Community Member

Great thanks, I might give the subscription a try later on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Lars was able to help. If you have any other questions along the way, just let us know. :)

• MonsterSale
    MonsterSale
    Community Member

Hey, I paid for 1Password before and I still want to use it while you removed 1Password Safari extension alltogether so it's a half-product now. I don't want to pay a subscription for your 1Password 7. What's my choices?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @MonsterSale ,

The removal of the 1Password 6 extension from Safari (and all standalone extensions in general, not just 1Password) was something that Apple has announced is going to happen with Safari 13 and the shutting down of the Safari Extensions Gallery some time ago. You can learn more about it here: https://support.1password.com/kb/201909/

These are currently your options:

• Keep using 1Password 6, but autofill will no longer work with Safari so you will have to manually copy and paste passwords from the app to the browser.
    • Keep using 1Password 6 and switch to Chrome or Firefox, which 1Password 6 still works great with and autofills.
    • Upgrade to 1Password 7 by purchasing a standalone license or joining our awesome membership service.

There are instructions here in previous replies on how to purchase a standalone license in Lars's comment, but I do recommend you learn more about the membership service before you make a decision, since it has many features and benefits and is overall a more complete 1Password experience that will prevent cases such as this from ever happening to you again. You can learn more about the membership here: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

This discussion has been closed.