I can sign into the app but not my account. Other than deleting, how can I sign in?

NCJ
NCJ
Community Member

I can sign into 1Password 6 and 7, change the master password, and have an emergency key but cannot sign into my account or create a new account with the same email. Is there any other remedy other than deleting? and if I delete, can I use my primary vault when I reload the app and create an account?

1Password Version: 7, 6
Extension Version: 6.88, 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Master password assistance

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @NCJ! I'm sorry for the trouble. First of all, you should not be attempting to run 1Password 6 for Mac side-by-side with 1Password 7 for Mac on the same Mac; it will almost certainly cause problems. If you've got a 1password.com membership (which it sounds like you do, from your description), then the latest version of 1Password for Mac (and all other 1Password apps) is included with your membership, meaning: there's no need to be running an outdated version.

Regarding your actual 1Password data, are you able to visit https://start.1password.com/ and sign into your account? Or is that what you're having the trouble with? The Primary vault in 1Password for Mac is a standalone vault that would date from before you created your 1password.com membership/account. Prior to 1Password accounts, standalone (local) data was the only way to use 1Password. When users switch from older standalone data to a 1password.com membership/account, your data will be copied over into the Personal or Private vault of your new 1password.com account, and you would've been asked to remove the (now-redundant) Primary vault. If you chose not to do that, then the previous Master Password you had been using for your standalone data would remain the Master Password that unlocks 1Password itself, regardless of whether you chose a new Master Password for your 1password.com account. That's why we suggest people use the same Master Password when creating a new 1password.com account as they were previously using for their standalone 1Password data.

Try my suggestion above: visit https://start.1password.com/ and see if you can sign into your account with the Secret Key and Master Password you have. If not, and if you cannot remember what other Master Password you may have used when you created your 1password.com account, then you'll need to delete your current account and start over with a new one. Let me know what you discover!

• NCJ
    NCJ
    Community Member

My problem seems to be that I cannot use any of the master passwords I have used in the past to get into what I thought was my 1Password account. And I cannot start a new account using the same email address. I am repeatedly told I already have an account with that email. How do I delete any current account if I don't have a master password? And If I do manage to do so, will my primary vault still be available when I start over? Or does everything get deleted if I manage to delete the current account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NCJ - my larger concern here is that if you can't sign into your account via a browser at https://start.1password.com then you are essentially locked out of your data. You may still be temporarily able to access it via one of the 1password.com apps you'd previously signed in with, but if you forgot your Master Password for the account, you'll need to delete that account, create a new one and transfer items over. It's not impossible at all, but to get a better idea of what you have - and in what configuration - on your device(s), I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#IPK-23424-518]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @NCJ only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: IPK-23424-518

This discussion has been closed.