Feature Request: Offline sync for documents

majortom
majortom
Community Member
edited March 2019 in iOS

Hello 1Password team,

on my last trip, my passport was stolen.
For this I saved a copy in 1Password and opened it once at home with the iOS App to make it available offline. In this case it could not be opened abroad. Why always? Not good. I had to look for an open WLAN first :-(

Other case: In a shared vault the members often change documents or upload new ones.
It is very cumbersome to always open these once on the smartphone, so that the current version is always available offline.

Therefore I would like to have a function within the iOS Apps which all documents can be synchronized for offline usage.

Best regards,
Tom

Comments

• Hi @majortom,

I'm sorry to hear about your passport. I hope you were able to get that sorted out. Thanks for the feedback. The reason we do not download all Documents by default is in an effort to conserve bandwidth. The majority of customers are not blessed with unlimited data. Additionally at the time the decision was made 16 GB devices were still common, and so device storage space was also a consideration. That is less of a problem now, with most new devices coming with at least 32 GB of storage. That said, I can certainly see how having an option to download everything (particularly while on WiFi) could be quite useful. I too would prefer to have all of my 1Password Document items on my iOS devices.

Ben

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member

Thanks for your answer @Ben

A easy way can be a vault dependent setting "enable / disable offline documents" and / or a global setting "documents sync off, wifi only, wifi + cellular"

• We're pretty resistant to adding preferences (if you do a search for "add a preference" on this forum you can probably get a glimpse of why), but that may be something we can consider. We'll monitor the demand for this kind of thing and see if we can justify it.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• ekurukchi
    ekurukchi
    Community Member

Hi Tom & Ben
    I have just upgraded to a 1Password 7 Subscription from 1Password 6 which was synced on Dropbox.

Previously, as long as I kept my 1Password keychain folder downloaded (automatically) on my iPhone and iPad, I would always have a copy of my documents like passport, drivers license etc easily available, even when I was offline, if I needed access to them (lost passport like Tom or filling in arrival card details on a flight when my passport was in my bag in the overhead compartment - maybe a bit lazy!).

With 1Password 7 I can't figure out how to make sure my documents are downloaded and available, short of physically opening each one before I go offline. This is a significant backwards step - I like the security of having these documents within 1Password, but the easy access of being able to open them if I ever needed them.

I know I won't remember to open these documents to make sure they are downloaded to my device before I travel. I travel to remote locations often, many of which don't have a cellular service or wifi. In this scenario I won't have access to my documents on the server. If this issue can't be fixed I will have to save the documents to Dropbox where I can put them in a synchronised on device folder so I know they are always available.

If you have any suggestions to get around this in a different way within 1 password that would be great. Otherwise, I urge you to consider how you will address this issue in future versions.

Kindest regards

Emile.

• Hi @ekurukchi

Once you've viewed a Document once on a device it is downloaded to that device and is available offline. Generally this only needs to be done once per device, and not every time you travel, though I could see some value in making sure the most important documents are viewable before taking off just as one might double check they were present if they were physical documents. I hope that helps. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.