Any recent consideration to more fine-grained controls over child accounts?

Options
jader201
jader201
Community Member

I'm a long-time user of the stand-alone 1Password app (pre-subscription model), and am trying out the new 1Password account for my family. I've been searching around for options on limiting child accounts from having their own private vaults, and the (3-year old, possibly outdated, but probably not) guidance I saw was to create guest accounts for them.

I can probably make this work, but seems unintuitive, and I was wondering -- now that the new 1Password subscription account has been around for a few years -- if any further consideration has gone into supporting/offering more fine-grained controls for child accounts?

Mostly interested in:

• Child accounts have access to their own personal accounts, but all accounts designated as parent accounts also have access to all child personal (and shared) accounts
  • Parents can still have shared vaults that children can be given access to (and can be restricted to read-only)

Again, sounds like a guest account still functions mostly as described in the first point (even if unintuitive), just not the second.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @jader201,

Thanks so much for reaching out about this! Yes, currently Guest accounts are the best way to get close to what you are trying to do. As you mention, they do prevent the child account from having a private vault, however I know that they are not quite ideal, as they limit access to a single shared vault.

This is actually a bit of a tricky question, as ideally we don't want 1Password to inherently define how a family should be structured. We have had requests similar to yours, where you'd like to have access to children's vaults (which makes perfect sense), and we've also had requests where people explicitly don't want access to family member's vaults, and they feel like Owner's have too much power over the whole account (which also makes perfect sense in their scenarios).

While these appear to be different issues, they are pretty closely related - and come down to the question of how can 1Password create the tools necessary to provide options so that families can structure access based on the way they want to use it rather than the way 1Password defines it. Often giving too many options can complicate things. I agree that this is absolutely solvable, but we want to get it right.

I can't make any promises on when or if things will change around this anytime soon, but we really appreciate hearing what you'd like to see. In the meantime, it sounds like a guest account is the way to go for your use-case. If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.