Browser freezes upon password generation

AndiH
AndiH
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

When I try to change my password on any site, the plugin freezes the whole page. (Chrome, Version 72.0.3626.109 Official Build, 64-bit)

It looks like this:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

After I click Step 3 the browser window freezes and only a reload is possible.

The background page of the plugin reports the following errors:

44Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.
15Unchecked runtime.lastError: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
3background.js:31 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'overview' of undefined
    at Object.configure-show-login-prompt (background.js:31)
    at r (background.js:31)
configure-show-login-prompt @ background.js:31
r @ background.js:31
my.1password.eu/api/v2/vault/gpioktxrldwfyk3koyczncsnra/34/items:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 409 ()
background.js:31 [_request] Request "/api/v2/vault/gpioktxrldwfyk3koyczncsnra/34/items" failed: ServerError: Incorrect Version value has been sent.
    at new t (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:31:155638)
    at _handleQwestError (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:31:356001)
    at Array.f (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:24:626593)
    at chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:24:626282
    at chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:24:487066
    at p (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:24:487176)
    at s (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:24:486539)
(anonymous) @ background.js:31
2background.js:31 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'overview' of undefined
    at Object.configure-show-login-prompt (background.js:31)
    at r (background.js:31)

One final note: It works in Firefox.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 1.15.0
OS Version: macOS Sierra (10.12.6)
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• AndiH
    AndiH
    Community Member

I also tried it with my second mac which runs mojave. Same issue :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @AndiH,

I've been able to reproduce and we have a bug report filed. The "freezing" is normally 1Password X overlays a dialog on top of the page and at least part of this is occurring even though the dialog is not present. If you were to reproduce the effect you would find that tapping the escape key should find the page becomes responsive again as escape dismisses the invisible overlay. I don't know that it will always be the case but what I found when testing was after dismissing the overlay that I could use the inline menu to save and that it would correctly appear. Of course we still need to correct the issue but I'm hoping that might help while we work on it.

ref: x/b5x#788

• AndiH
    AndiH
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Okay, indeed it works sometimes if you fiddle around. Escape didn't do it for me, but right-clicking to open the context menu did something. Anyway I hope you will find a fix soon.

Thanks for notifying me :-)

• I think I might know what's causing this. Investigation is needed but I have a clue to follow thanks to your logs. Thank you for posting them! ❤️

++dave;

• AndiH
    AndiH
    Community Member

Nevermind. I hope you'll find a fix soon :)

• :+1:

Ben

• cshelton
    cshelton
    Community Member

I to have this same issue, I'm VERY impressed with how 1password works, however I'm very disappointed that the Generator isn't working correctly and I'm having the issue listed above, ESC does however unlock the screen, BUT on Some sites, when changing your password, you are given 2 blanks to fill in, selecting the first blank and telling it to use the suggested password makes it jump to the second blank, putting in the password, but leaving the first blank, blank, and you cannot copy it from the second blank to put it in the first blank either. Please include this in your bug fix. As we may end up going with LastPass because of this issue. Thank you. In addition while trying to sign up for THIS site, I found that the Password manager for Chrome is probably what is causing the issue. When I tried to once again generate a password with 1password, CHROME popped up trying to generate a password, and it overlayed the 1password menu and put it in the background where you cannot click on it, then when moving to the second field, THEN you can see 1password, however, again, it just fills in the second password and not the first one. This is something that is very annoying. I am about to try disabling Google Chromes password app, however, once I do that, I can't get my passwords that I wanted to move to 1password. So it's defeating the purpose of having it. You should create some sort of migration tool, to pull passwords already in Chrome and Firefox into 1password.

• ThaVerge
    ThaVerge
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same issue with 1Password X - just started subscribing after being on 1password 4 forever. Hitting Esc several times will fix it but it's super annoying!

• mrKnorring
    mrKnorring
    Community Member

Hi.
    I have created multiple accounts on different websites recently, and I use 1Password X (1PX) to generate a memorable password and then I press on the fill button. But after I do that it's like the webpage freezes! I can't press anything! Either buttons or links. So I can't proceed with the registration process! Thankfully I could just refresh the page and start over the process and instead using the fill button I use traditional copy pase with the mouse.
    I inspected the page and I found that 1PX creates an iframe dom element (will id op-save-login) witch is placed over the whole page (like a modal window). If I remove that element the page works fine again.

Can u guys fix this? (It's a little annoying :P )

Stay awesome

// Simon (^-^)

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: 1.4
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cshelton, @ThaVerge & @mrKnorring,

The developers are aware and working on getting this fixed. Hopefully it won't be too long and I'm sure somebody will post when a beta is worth trying for those willing to give it a whirl.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cshelton, @ThaVerge & @mrKnorring,

We've just pushed both a new beta (1.15.1.beta) and stable (1.14.1) which should fix any issues with displaying the save item dialog and tab freezing. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused. Please let me know if you are still having problems after getting the update!

Cheers,

Beyer

• mrKnorring
    mrKnorring
    Community Member

Hey @beyer
    It works better, thx <3

• Woot! I'm glad to hear things are working for you now. 🎉

Thanks for letting us know. 🤗

++dave;

• AndiH
    AndiH
    Community Member

Just installed the update. Everything works fine now. Great work gals and guys!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to see that bug fixed as well :smile:

• dkvk
    dkvk
    Community Member

Hey, just found this thread about this issue of freezing page after filling in generated passwords.

I am using 1PasswordX 1.15.2 on my Mac using Chrome.

I still have this issue, not sure what I can do to fix it.

Any suggestions?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @dkvk – I can't say that I've seen this happen myself in 1.15.2. Are you noticing the freeze on certain web pages or every time you try to generate a password in 1Password X. Additionally, are you using the new, redesigned version of the popup or the old popup?

• dkvk
    dkvk
    Community Member

Hey @kaitlyn,

The freeze occurs on every webpage I try. It happens both when I try to generate a password as well as save login I have typed in my self.

See screenshot of what the popup looks like.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@dkvk – Sorry for the trouble here! 1Password X should be presenting you with an overlay and a popup asking you which vault you'd like to save your new Login in. It sounds like you're receiving the overlay without the popup, which resembles a freeze since you can't access anything on the page. I'm curious what happens if you press the esc key during the "freeze." Would you mind trying that out and letting me know what the results are? Along with that, what version of Chrome are you using?

• dkvk
    dkvk
    Community Member

@kaitlyn

When I press the esc key the blocking iframe disappears and I can interact with the page as usual again.

I have had this issue for at least a couple of months. Over the time I have upgraded the versions of 1Password and Chrome and have always used the latest version of them all. At the moment I use version 74.0.3729.169 of Chrome.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@dkvk – That sounds like exactly what I described then. I'm glad you're at least able to press escape rather than refreshing the entire page. That does seem strange that the issue has come along with you through all these updates. Can you please remove and reinstall 1Password X? Once you sign back in, go ahead and attempt to generate a password again and let me know how it goes.

• dkvk
    dkvk
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn

A reinstall solved the issue!

I should have tried it on the first hand. Although strange that the old implementation/bug was hanging on.

• Hooray! I'm happy to hear reinstalling did the trick @dkvk. That is very odd that the bug hung around post-update, though. If something like that occurs again, please let us know — We'll be happy to look into it with you. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.