To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

two master passwords.

tom_buechner
tom_buechner
Community Member

Somehow I ended up with two master passwords. One works on my Macbook pro and the other on my iphone. How do I merge them so I have only one password?

The other question I have is should I be allowing Chrome to remember my passwords?

Thanks!

Tom

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OXS10.12.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Somehow I ended up with two master passwords. One works on my laptop and the other on my phone.

Comments

• Hi @tom_buechner - Thank you for reaching out to us today. Did you sign up for a 1Password.com account? If so, it sounds like when you signed up for an account, you created a new Master Password. Once the new account has been added to both devices and your existing data has been migrated over to the new account, you can delete your Primary vault. Once the Primary vault has been deleted, you will use your new Master Password (the same one you use to sign into the account via the web) going forward to unlock the apps.

Yes, I would recommend turning off the built in password manager in Chrome to avoid any confusion. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any additional questions. I'll be here to help. :smile:

• wfredl
    wfredl
    Community Member

Here's my dilemma... I have two master passwords, I have a personal account then later signed up for a 1Password.com account. I have two vaults, one primary and one personal, and they are synced between my iPhone and my iPad (both running iOS 12.3.1, 1Password 7.3.1). I just got a new MacBook Air and when I log into my 1Password account on the Mac I only see a Personal vault. I have not loaded 1Password onto the Mac yet, I would like to clean up this mess (that is, get to one vault, one master p/w) before I add the new platform. Please advise. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wfredl: A Primary (local) vault is not part of any account; it's stored only on your device. A Personal vault is part of a 1Password membership account. If you've setup different Master Passwords for those, you'd need to enter the correct one at any given time. The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in the app. So if you still have the old Primary vault on a device, that will be the Master Password you need to enter. If you get rid of the Primary vault, and have only your 1Password membership account setup in the app, then the account's password will be what you use to unlock. If you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, do you have all of you data there?

https://start.1password.com

If so, you should remove the old Primary vault from any devices and use just your membership account to avoid confusion going forward:

Set up your 1Password membership account on your devices

• wfredl
    wfredl
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, yes, I do see all my data when I sign into 1Password.com in Safari. So I followed your advice and removed the primary vaults from my iOS devices. It's all good now. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that did the trick. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.