1Password 7.3 generator will not paste new passwords in most websites

Options
troutbum
troutbum
Community Member

Have upgraded to 7.3 and the new 1Password mini (confusing!) will not paste new passwords (using the + New Password button) into the website passwords field. For example, a typical "change your password" page asks for your current password, then has two fields for your new password (for verification). I'm finding that for most sites, 1Password will not paste the newly generated password to the site. help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@troutbum: Can you give me an example? I'll be happy to look into it. :)

• troutbum
    troutbum
    Community Member
    Options

Sure; www.Costco.com is a good example, as I was attempting to update a dozen or so sites that my wife had redundant, simple passwords (in a shared vault). When I got to the "change password" screen on the Costco site, I could properly fill the existing password into the correct field; Costco had two "new password" fields, as is typical; When I went to the new +New Password button, I generated a new password for the site; it appears that "Save & Copy" is the only option here (not an autofill option for the new password?), so I attempted to paste the newly generated password into the two form fields on the Costco site. they would not paste.

As it turns out, I was able to update about 8 out of 12 or so sites; others would not allow me to paste the new passwords.

• MrRooni
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi @troutbum. Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry that you ran into some trouble updating your passwords using the new password generator. We did indeed settle on Save & Copy as the means for getting generated passwords out of 1Password mini for now, but we are considering some changes to bring generated password filling back to 1Password mini.

ref: apple-3746

• troutbum
    troutbum
    Community Member
    Options

@mrrooni I would be a fan of generated password filling being included in mini. the Save & Copy is a step backward.

• MrRooni
    Options

Thanks @troutbum. While it was a conscious decision on our part to have it be Save & Copy, there have been some additions to the filling brain that may allow us to get back to Save & Fill when appropriate. If you'd like to help us test it you can enable beta builds in 1Password > Preferences… > Updates

• troutbum
    troutbum
    Community Member
    Options

I encountered another issue today with updating passwords; in this case, the site prompted me to update the password. I pasted in the current password, generated a new password, which pasted correctly into the first "new password" field, however, the new password would not paste into the second "confirm new password" field. I ended up manually typing a 30 character password into the field to get it to confirm. This needs to be fixed!

• MrRooni
    Options

Indeed @troutbum, we're working on it.

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to hop on to this thread with a "Me, too", but I found 7.3 not filling in website password changes on several occasions over the last few days (on two Macs, one 10.12 in Chrome, the other 10.14 in Firefox). What I don't understand is why "Save & Copy" creates a brand new entry for the site now, a login item with only a password (because it's happening on a new page where you're asked to type in your old password and the new one twice to confirm). This is then getting chosen on login to that site when I hit CMD-\, which fails (and also causes fails on iOS). Suddenly I'm filling my Vault with "duplicates" which are incorrect. This isn't a obvious "you're old-school 1P user, so you need to learn the new way", this happened to my wife (new family users as of 7.0) which is now causing her to rethink using 1P...

Example site where this happened today: my company's ticketing system is in Autotask. It's specific to my geo-location, so it may not work for you: https://ww3.autotask.net/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abandonedbrain: Thanks for chiming in! Is it maybe throwing you off more that you're seeing the Password item suggested for filling? That's new, as previously these were ignored if there was a single matching Login item for the site.

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the response. Nope, these are definitely NEW entries (of type "Password", not Login as I had stated earlier). I know that I can convert these to full Logins, but I already had one. Once I change the password on this site (and as I mentioned, we saw this same thing at least twice in 7.3), log out and try to log back in, I'm presented with multiple options to pick in 1P. Picking the original fails because it has the old password. I can manually pick the new password, and then 1P asks if I wish to UPDATE the existing Login entry, which is what it should do from the get-go.

I've attached a screenshot of how it looks (duplicates) in 7.2.6, as I haven't updated one of my Macs yet. If I can get it to do this again on a site, I'll try to record the issue.

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

@brenty Here's an example video of the duplication issue and 1P not updating existing Login entries. Hope this helps! [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum] (my personal OneDrive account, set to Share, as I can't upload MP4/MOV files here).

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

(And yes, I did change my password on the site after recording the video.) :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abandonedbrain: Thank you very much! I've removed the video anyway since it included at least your email address, but that was super helpful. :)

I think you misunderstood my question, and that's not really your fault as I didn't do the best job asking it...and it's just confusing anyway. :blush:

The video makes it clear what's going on, and all of that is expected, for the most part. The only thing that isn't working as intended there is that when you went through the password change form 1Password didn't detect that and offer to update your existing Login item. That one in particular is tricky, so I appreciate you using that as an example. We need to do better there, and I've filed an issue so we can investigate further.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#561

Ideally, when you change the password, 1Password allows you to just update your existing Login item. That would have avoided any further confusion. Instead, since the Login item was not updated, 1Password saved a new Password item for the generated password, so that you didn't lose it. That's what I was referring to above with my question: when you try to fill after that, you're shown not only the Login item (now with the old password, since you changed it), but also the Password item for the new password you'd generated to use there.

In the past, if you had a single Login item matching the site, 1Password would show only that, even at the expense of any Password items. In most cases I think that makes sense, day to day, filling login credentials, since it allows ⌘ \ to just work when there's a single Login for the site without showing you a list of Login and/or Password items. However, in this case, showing the list actually helped, because you hadn't saved the new password in your Login, and you could see that you also had Password items there, which allowed you to use the one you'd just changed it to. Does that make more sense?

So there's a good argument either way. I think that's why it's come up. I'm not sure there's a solution that works both ways, but we'll see what we can do. Thank you so much for your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.