Adding custom fields to a login auto-fill

Hi all,

I keep coming across login pages that don't use a typical username/email + password login, and it can get a little frustrating to sign in.

I figured out a way to add a custom text field, by observing what the site calls that field, and creating a property in the login, eg:

Inspecting the input type:

Creating the field in the login entry in 1Password:

And the auto-fill works fine.
However, I can't say the same for the drop-down fields (as in day & month of birth).

Inspecting the dropdown fields show that the website has "ddBirthDay" and "ddBirthMonth" respectively.
Adding these to 1Password doesn't result in the page having the dropdown selected, in the way that say, a credit card month and year will.

Any advice?
I'm sure it isn't hard to do!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rdeets: Custom fields can be added to any item, but they are only for your records; 1Password cannot fill them because it knows nothing of their function. What you're doing is a bit different, editing "web form details", which 1Password can sometimes fill, depending on the design. What you're referring to as "dropdown fields" are not though; that's some custom weirdness that the web designer created themselves, not a standard HTML element (which 1Password can sometimes select from, depending on the text), so it's not something that is supported by 1Password -- or web standards.

It's also worth noting that 1Password is designed to fill login forms, not just any generic thing you might need to fill on a website. That's by design, since it's what 1Password was created to do, what the vest majority of people use it for, and changes we make to improve that also tends to make it worse in other, non-login contexts. I can't really tell from your screenshot if that is or isn't the case there, and the address you showed won't even respond when I try to visit it.

Anyway, I hope this helps clarify a bit how this works. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rdeets
    rdeets
    Community Member

Hi @brenty , thanks for the speedy reply.
    I guess that settles it, then! ;-)

The URL for that site specifically is: https://online.murrays.com.au/MurraysCoaches/LCM/Login
    Just in case you still wanted to check.

I was very pleased to see that it could fill the txtPhoneNumber field (once I named the label accordingly); having my phone number saved without the exact field name didn't auto-fill, once I changed it to match it did.
    This is handy for text elements; hopefully I don't come up against too many cases where the fill for drop-downs is required.

I'm of the mindset that if you have to do anything 3 or more times, automate it.

Cheers,
    Rob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rdeets: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me! I was definitely curious. Weirdly, that URL works fine, where the server didn't respond at all when I just typed the domain. :lol:

Interestingly, while the design of the month and day menus/buttons are custom, I was wrong in that they actually have real dropdown menus hidden under those. Consequently, I was actually able to save a login manually) and fill both of those using 1Password:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form

But 1Password is having trouble there still since there is no password field, so it currently does not fill the "phone number". So you might have some luck saving a new login and tweaking the web form details, but I've filed an issue so we can investigate this further. Thank you for bringing it up!

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#562

• rdeets
    rdeets
    Community Member

Oh fantastic!

Thank you for double-checking.
    I think a Hybrid- solution is the way to go; I'll save a manual login and add the txtPhoneNumber field myself.

Much appreciated,
    Rob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I hope that helps. We don't want everyone to have to do something like that though, so we'll see if we can find a way to get 1Password to work better there. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.